Eastern vs. Western Itin

KelleKae

Trying to decide between the Eastern and Western Disney itineraries for a large family cruise next January/February? Any opinions as to what each one offers and the differences would be great. What about weather that time of year. Will Castaway Cay and Key West be chilly. We have 8 children going ages 2-8, so not a lot of island excursions will be taken. Thanks!

The Eastern you will get an additional day at sea. So you get to avoid the island issue for that day. Water temps at Key West and CC are subjective. For us CC was warm and the water was great. We are from the Northeast and it was January. Ocean water temp doesn't get much above mid 60s in Maine in January, so for us it was great. Others from warmer climates may have a different take. We were able to swim at each port and each day onboard. We loved January and chose to go again and are considering another January cruise. The prices are pretty good and the weather and seas were great.

Usually I push the Western because it is a favorite of mine. BUT in your case, I would tell you to take the Eastern. If Port excursions aren't on the top of your priority list, then the extra sea day would be great for your group. Key West is also not really the best port for kids. Sure there is some stuff there, but it is mostly bars and shopping. The beaches there are almost non-existant compared to someplace like St. John. So, I would tell you to do the eastern.

Yes, it can be chilly in the bahamas (relatively, for swimming, etc.) but the eastern and western both do cc so that point is mute. I have sailed in January and February and the weather is generally mild, nice, not HOT, but the waters can be cooler than in summer. It's a great time of year to cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I vote Eastern.

Extra sea day is great with kids.

St. Maartin has a butterfly farm tour that is great for younger kids and is very easy to do. Nice air-conditioned bus to take you back and forth. Umbrella strollers that fold up small will work on this tour for the youngest ones in case they get tired. I think it was 2 hours long, but not sure.

Lots os nice beaches for families at all stops on the eastern.

At CC be sure and check out the grouper game room with the kids. It is under cover, so no sunburns. There is a large sandbox for the little ones, and shuffleboard, basketball hoops, pool, chess,checkers, chip it golf, and a few other things so it will entertain all the ages you will have. Bikes are for rent there, and they do have some with baby seats, helmets and training wheels. The kids club area does have special activities the kids can sign up for while on the island too.

On the ship they have a family activity where you and you kids can make kites to fly at CC which is great. They have one area of the beach just for that activity. Be sure and check out the Mickey 200 race and Mr. Toads wild race with the kids on board. This is good family fun. Mr. Toad is geared for the younger ones and Mickey 200 is for at least one adult and as many kids as you want. Both of these activities have limit of 16 families, so arrive alittle early to sign up. I do believe they do repeat the race later in the trip for those who missed it.

If the older kidslike the towel animals you'll find in your room each evening, take them to the towel folding demonstration. They will teach them how to make a couple of them. Kids are welcome to sit right down front on the floor and parents or crew members will give them special help so they can do this too. I was amazed at how many kids, even boys really got involved in this activity.

Hope you have a magical cruise!!

We are going again with 4 kids, ages 3to 14 in a group of 15 people in December 2005.

mom x4,grandma x4

Archived