Cruise ends in Marseilles - which airport to fly to US?

Kerry's Girls

Hi all -

Considering a cruise r/t from Marseilles. Pre-cruise we would stay in Paris and then take the train, but not sure what the quickest/easiest way is back to the US from Marseilles. I did a search on Expedia and it only comes up with flights from Marseilles through Amsterdam with an overnight layover - not a good choice with kids. Do we need to fly back to Paris and then to the US?

Thank you!

Best,

Mia

Hi all -

Considering a cruise r/t from Marseilles. Pre-cruise we would stay in Paris and then take the train' date=' but not sure what the quickest/easiest way is back to the US from Marseilles. I did a search on Expedia and it only comes up with flights from Marseilles through Amsterdam with an overnight layover - not a good choice with kids. Do we need to fly back to Paris and then to the US?

Thank you!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Hi Mia

it would help to know where about in the US you are travelling back to and cruise dates as this makes a difference to flights and times. There is a direct flight to JFK from Marseilles on a Wednesday and a Friday if that is any help?

Damon and Family

Hi Mia

it would help to know where about in the US you are travelling back to and cruise dates as this makes a difference to flights and times. There is a direct flight to JFK from Marseilles on a Wednesday and a Friday if that is any help?

Damon and Family

Of course - sorry I didn't give full info - I hate that! We need to get back to Los Angeles and the cruise ends on Sunday, Jan. 5th. Looks like we need to do a short flight or train ride to somewhere in order to get a flight to LA - not sure if we need to go back to Paris or if Nice is any easier...

Thanks again!

Hi all -

Considering a cruise r/t from Marseilles. Pre-cruise we would stay in Paris and then take the train' date=' but not sure what the quickest/easiest way is back to the US from Marseilles. I did a search on Expedia and it only comes up with flights from Marseilles through Amsterdam with an overnight layover - not a good choice with kids. Do we need to fly back to Paris and then to the US?

Thank you!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

You can fly back to Paris, or take train back to Paris. Another alternative- stay overnight in Marseille and have early Monday morning connecting Air France flight through Paris. You can have a look Air France website- direct flight LA to CDG and back from Marseille to LA with plane changing in Paris. Or you can take train from Marseille to Nice and fly next day from Nice

We like to preach about "thinking options." The first issue is must you absolutely get home ASAP....or could you afford to spend a few days (or longer) in Europe. Since it costs a lot of money just getting to Europe it does make sense to maximize the length of your visit. Otherwise, its just a matter of looking at the various airline options vs the cost and timing. You can use a good online site (we love Kayak) or even a few sites and just try the various options. From Marseille to Nice is about 2 1/2 hours on the train (there is a train station at the Nice Cote d'Azur airport and costs about 35 Euros. Taking the train to CDG would take nearly 4 hours and cost 3 times as much. So that is a good starting point. Flying from Marseille to CDG (or another European airport) is an option but you must factor-in the luggage rules (and cost) on European airlines. So its all about options and you simply have to select what works best for you.

Hank

Thank you so much for all of the info/ideas - really appreciate your time. I wish we could stay even one day longer which would open up a lot of options, but have to get back to work (we will spend some time in Paris and Marseille pre-cruise). Now that I know I wasn't missing some other airport option, I'm also considering getting off the ship one day early and flying back from Genoa instead.

Thanks again!

Best,

Mia

Archived