Transfers in Rome

panda family

We are cruising out of Italy in November on the Celebrity Silhouette and will be spending 4 nights in Rome prior to the cruise. First time cruising out of Rome and not sure what is the best way to get to the port without dragging bags on a lot of public transportation. We would appreciate any advise anyone might offer. Thanks much.

We are cruising out of Italy in November on the Celebrity Silhouette and will be spending 4 nights in Rome prior to the cruise. First time cruising out of Rome and not sure what is the best way to get to the port without dragging bags on a lot of public transportation. We would appreciate any advise anyone might offer. Thanks much.

Read through the pages on this board...this question gets asked almost every day...tons of info here.

There really aren't a lot of options when it comes to getting to Civitavecchia from Rome:

1) Take the train -- very inexpensive (5 euro per person for a one-way ticket on the regional train, slightly more for the faster trains with reserved seating).

2) Arrange for private transportation -- Depending on the size of your group, a private transfer usually runs from 120-160 euro total. This includes pick-up at your hotel and drop-off at your ship. Hassle free but pricey.

3) Arrange for a shared shuttle -- These run from 80-90 euro for 2 persons, 110-120 for four persons, etc. Slightly less expensive than a private car but you may be sharing with others, so allow time for additional pick-ups in Rome before heading to the port.

There are many recommendations already on these boards for options #2 and #3 if you do a little reading.

Taking the train isn't difficult but if you are lugging too much stuff I suppose it becomes more of a hassle. Personally, I've not had a problem doing this as a solo traveler (i.e., no one to help me) with a medium suitcase and small carry-on.

The trip from Rome to Civitavecchia takes about the same amount of time, plus or minus a few minutes, whether you go by car, shuttle, or train.

• 1 month later...

We (3 couples) just returned from one night in Rome and a cruise on the Celebrity Reflection. We had the same questions. After research, we chose RomeCabs and were very happy. They were waiting for us at the airport even though our flight was 2 hours late. We booked a transfer to the hotel with an additional two hour tour, which was excellent. I think it was 190 euros for the 6 of us. We also booked a transfer to the port from our hotel with an additional two hour tour. We booked a full day tour in Naples with RomeCabs which covered Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. Finally, we booked a transfer from the port to the airport. All were excellent. They return emails promptly and you can prepay with PayPal or pay in cash after service. Their prices are on their website http://www.romecabs.com and they do not require a deposit.

• 4 weeks later...

All Around Italy Took our family of 10 on tours for 3 ports. we were sailing on Serenade of the Seas.

Fabrizio was always on time with a huge welcoming smile! His vans were beautiful clean and well air conditioned.

We saw the best of Florence, Rome and The Amalfi Coast, We ate the best food and snacks along the way.

My dad had recent knee surgery and Fabrizio drove right up to the sights so my dad would not have to walk too far.

Fabrizio was extremely knowledgeable about every area we visited. We laughed so hard my sister and I cried. We were sad when our last day with Fabrizio was over. We felt like we were leaving a family member when we said goodbye.

We are thinking of going back next year . The kids all asked if we can see Fabrizio again.

My brother in law and I forgot our glasses in the van and Fabrizio mailed them back to us. Thanks Fabrizio!!!! Hope to see you again soon.

Nancy,Jean Richard Andrew Dave Sam David Jackie Dave and Lindsey

• 2 weeks later...

There were 8 of us from our roll call you shared a transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia. After having some serious issues with the first company we booked with we ended up booking with Rome Cabs. We all met in the lobby of the BW-Royal Santina in the Termini area and our fare was 200e or 25e p/p. The driver was a full 30 minutes early, arrived in a clean, shinny, Mercedes Sprinter and we were at the port in less than 90 minutes. We were all very happy with Rome Cabs and would certainly use them again.

Archived