Beach To The Right Of Pier??

rsjc

Does anyone know what the beach area to the right of Costa Maya pier is? As we were walking down the pier there seemed to be a really nice beach area to the right that was deserted the entire time we were there. Looked to be a really nice beach. Would have loved to spend some time there…..

Does anyone know what the beach area to the right of Costa Maya pier is? As we were walking down the pier there seemed to be a really nice beach area to the right that was deserted the entire time we were there. Looked to be a really nice beach. Would have loved to spend some time there…..

I tried to find the thread that talked about this part of the coast, but it must be buried. If I remember correctly the story was that the people who sold the land for the pier were misled about their options and hoping to cash in on some of the profits from the cruise ships built their resort next door. However the monopoly that built the pier area couldn't allow that and built the concrete wall disallowing any one from reaching the resort. This was the report from someone who had gone to Costa Maya early on, when the resort to the right of the pier was still operational. They went around the wall and talked to the owners. Obviously the lack of traffic made it impossible to keep it going and it is now just sitting idle. I felt bad because it looked like it could be a nice place, good beach. Yah.

Su

I think that is correct. The beach to the right is private property and has nothing to do with the cruise ship village. It's a case of the big fish(cruise companies) trying to do in the little fish(property owners). Cruisers use to go over there, before the "Berlin Wall" was erected.

After doing a little looking in weshots I found a few pictures of that beach area. Just used Costa Maya as the key works in my search. The pictures I found were taken back in 2003 and showed lots of people on the beach and a few people snorkeling. I wish they could open that up again….

As one of the land owners next to the cruise ship pier, I'm always amazed at the different ideas as to what's really going on. LOL

Basically, the port only owns what you see built already. Its American owner began to repell everyone as soon as that land was acquired. In addition, he illegally built walls/fences on both sides of his property to keep cruisers "inside".

The Mexican government owns the first 66' of beach from the water up. A permit allows control of that strip, but it is illegal to use any cement on the first 66' of beach. It's only a matter of time before officials force him to remove the walls and any posts.

The remaining Mexican and American owners adjacent on both sides of him have good relationships with each other and will not sell him anymore land. None of our lots are for sale...although I still see some of them listed at real estate offices. Those listings are over 3 years old-do your homework, there's no regulation of realtors in MX!

Its only a matter of time before the government facilitates the already approved plans so everyone can stroll along the boardwalk, shop, eat and enjoy the beaches.

As one of the land owners next to the cruise ship pier, I'm always amazed at the different ideas as to what's really going on. LOL

Basically, the port only owns what you see built already. Its American owner began to repell everyone as soon as that land was acquired. In addition, he illegally built walls/fences on both sides of his property to keep cruisers "inside".

The Mexican government owns the first 66' of beach from the water up. A permit allows control of that strip, but it is illegal to use any cement on the first 66' of beach. It's only a matter of time before officials force him to remove the walls and any posts.

The remaining Mexican and American owners adjacent on both sides of him have good relationships with each other and will not sell him anymore land. None of our lots are for sale...although I still see some of them listed at real estate offices. Those listings are over 3 years old-do your homework, there's no regulation of realtors in MX!

Its only a matter of time before the government facilitates the already approved plans so everyone can stroll along the boardwalk, shop, eat and enjoy the beaches.

I their any plans that you know of to open that beach area back up for cruise passengers? Even at a fee.

The last I heard, there was a war over that owners "customers" and himself accessing his land from the crucero parking lot. The crucero owner put up a bigger fence and landlocked the beach club area. The beachclub owner had to build a new road off of the main highway going north, which is rather out of the way and not within walking distance from the crucero.

Since it would take a few mile taxi or golf cart ride for cruisers to get there, the owner decided to convert it to an RV camping park. The last I hear, that's how it sits; if its abandoned right now, something else has occurred that the rest of us are not aware of yet.

I think it's new name is Chac-Chi RV Park.

The last I heard, there was a war over that owners "customers" and himself accessing his land from the crucero parking lot. The crucero owner put up a bigger fence and landlocked the beach club area. The beachclub owner had to build a new road off of the main highway going north, which is rather out of the way and not within walking distance from the crucero.

Since it would take a few mile taxi or golf cart ride for cruisers to get there, the owner decided to convert it to an RV camping park. The last I hear, that's how it sits; if its abandoned right now, something else has occurred that the rest of us are not aware of yet.

I think it's new name is Chac-Chi RV Park.

Thanks for all the good information

• 2 weeks later...

We asked on board about that beach because it looked so beautiful. The waitress we were talking to told us that they are not "allowed" to go there at all. She didn't give anymore information than that. It would be so nice if they would open it up.

Cheryl

Except for the port in Grand Cayman there was a secure area in all the ports we stopped at. Only cruise guests or workers were allowed into the area. After returning from Mahajual we had to show our cruise card to get back into the port development. Though I don't understand totally the security, I can understand some of the difficulty the owner would have of allowing open access to the beach next door. What I don't understand is why they would protest about access from outside the cruise area....why can guests go to Mahajual but not just next door????? It just all smells of dirty politics and talking money in the right pockets to me.

Su

• 2 weeks later...
Going there on Sensation in a couple of weeks......is this little beach blocked off from cruisers?

A couple of weeks you say? We are going August 13? Are we going to be going the same time???

A couple of weeks you say? We are going August 13? Are we going to be going the same time???

Sorry....no.....we went 7/16 on the Sensation's famous "cruise to nowhere" due to the hurricane.....sigh... Didn't get to dock anywhere. We are getting 1/2 off another cruise because of this. Maybe next time we'll actually be able to see cute little Majahual......I hope...I hope.....DEFINITELY AFTER hurrican season....you can bet on that.

Archived