Seeking advice

dandtgeddes

Gidday all!

New to Celebrity here.

Looking at a 14 day trip in January 2015 on the Celebrity Solstice and am on a budget so I want to get my choices right.

Background information, family of four, DH, DW, DS(18) and DD(14), ages at anticipated sail date. We are after two cabins, has been suggested that we go for the family cabin but the additional bathroom if we went for two cabins factors in there. May also be travelling with a friend who wants her own cabin so deck 8 makes more sense if we were able to get her an inside. This is likely to be our last big family holiday before eldest kid heads to university.

Currently looking at three options an am after opinions and pictures if you have them of the following;

Deck 7, cabins 7303 and 7305 (2A and 2B) versus cabins 7352 and 7354 (2A and 2B). Or we could look at two SV cabins 7317 and 7364.

Deck 8, cabins 8341 and 8343 (1C and 1A) versus cabins 8330 and 8334 (1c and 1A). Or we could look at two SV cabins 8344 and 8353.

Deck 9, easy here, cabins 9292 and 9294.

Got the cabin numbers from the cc deck plan so I hope they are right.

We sailed in a mini suite on the Diamond Princess and in two connecting Promenade cabins on the Voyager of the Seas.

DH is super keen for a Sky Suite or at least an aft, I agree, but I like privacy and I heard that these are a bit exposed. I can almost sunburn at dawn, ok, not quite, but you get my drift.

A big question I have regarding 9292 et al and the port and starboard cabins above is how private are these balconies.

I have read the cabin reviews sticky and looked at the LibraryLady spreadsheet, FAB threads by the way!

So now DH an I are asking people who have been in these cabins what they think. Post pictures please if you have them.

Yes, I am an overplanner...;)

Thanking you in anticipation:D

God bless you:)

TraceyG

Hi Tracey, I'm pretty obsessive about getting just the right cabin and I have the Celebrity catalog in front of me, so it'll be easy for me to chime in with my 2 cents about which ones you should go for. Only my opinion, mind you!

Now about the first set of aft cabins on Deck 7: they're exactly the same just on opposite sides of the ship. Look at your itinerary map and see if you're sailing close to land for any parts of the voyage and if so, book the side that gives you the land view. When we went through the straights of Messina I was glad we had a land view as it was spectacular.

Can't help you on Sunset view cabins as I've personally never sailed them. I think they're six of one and half a dozen of the other though. On the one side, you get an incomparable view of the wake, but on the other, there are privacy issues with the S class aft cabins and possible soot, depending on wind.

The Deck 8 cabins? See Deck 7 commentary, add in that you're one deck higher. I can't see any difference between the two decks; they're both fine.

Deck 9 cabin choice? Now we're talking!!!! These have the extra deep balconies, tons of space for everyone, go for it!!!! We had one on the Equinox once and loved it. It's private; no worries about that.

The Sky Suite would be great--for you and your husband. Period. No kids. It's a bigger cabin, sure, but that doesn't mean there's room for the offspring, if that's what you were considering. ;) I'd sooner go for the Family Suite on Deck 7 or 8 at the bow of the ship. I was in that one on a cabin crawl. The second bedroom is about the size of a closet and has no window. It is strictly for sleeping, that's all. Otherwise the cabin is just wonderful for families! The master bedroom is private. There's ample living space and a nice big table, to boot. There's even a cute little balcony. You may want to look at the photos of fellow poster Andreas Depping to help you choose among your options.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/index.php?cat=14

Solstice balcony cabins are almost the same size as Princess mini-suites.

SV balconies are exposed and visible to the balconies above, and you do get soot. The hump balconies are covered. I'm not sure about the others towards the back that you are asking about but they might be fine.

If you want great value also look at the 2C/2D cabins on deck 6. They are "partially obstructed" but that is usually only because there are lifeboats below and you can't look straight down. This deck is also only one flight down to the entertainment floors, so it is very convenient.

The SV cabins are very sunny. Sometimes it depends on the direction and ship location, but there is really no overhand except on the top floor. That being said if you are in the Caribbean (i dont know if you mentioned that) some of the times the sun won't be directly on you... But it is nice back there...

Gidday again.

Thank you all for your replies.

This definitely gives a clearer indication of what our family will decide on.

Anyone else want to chime in, that would be great.

Also, does anyone have any pictures?

Thank you for the Diamond balcony comparison, that really helps as we have been on that ship.

Hope all have a lovely weekend, school holidays underway in NZ now, yay!

God bless you all:)

TraceyG

Archived