First night dinner

Clinching

Some cruise lines allow you to book the specialty restaurants before the cruise. Princess does not. When you get to your cabin just push the DINE button on the phone if you want to make reservations

Oh typical as I am going on the Crown Princess! Thank you for all your answers...all very helpful. Oh by the way, I am on anytime dining.:p

Another question I am afraid then I'll go away...!

What does MDR stand for?

MDR = Main Dining Room.

There are three on the Crown. Botticelli, which is used for TD and DiVince and Michelangelo which are for AD. I believe one is used for TD early and then AD after 7 or so. We were on the Crown for 36 days last October/November. Went to the AD on deck 5. Never waited more than a minute or two for a table at about 7:30pm

MDR = Main Dining Room.

There are three on the Crown. Botticelli, which is used for TD and DiVince and Michelangelo which are for AD. I believe one is used for TD early and then AD after 7 or so. We were on the Crown for 36 days last October/November. Went to the AD on deck 5. Never waited more than a minute or two for a table at about 7:30pm

Careful Paul, you're trying to wind-up a Yorkshireman.:D

These may well be Paul's own, I've not seen them elsewhere.

AD Anytime dining (also called Mytime Dining or Freedom Dining, different names for the same thing on different cruise lines)

TD Traditional dining (also known as fixed dining) You are allocated the same table (usually shared) for a set time (either first sitting or second) for the duration of the cruise.

JB :)

Careful Paul, you're trying to wind-up a Yorkshireman.:D

These may well be Paul's own, I've not seen them elsewhere.

AD Anytime dining (also called Mytime Dining or Freedom Dining, different names for the same thing on different cruise lines)

TD Traditional dining (also known as fixed dining) You are allocated the same table (usually shared) for a set time (either first sitting or second) for the duration of the cruise.

JB :)

JB,

Teels18 is going on the Crown Princess. So I figured it was best to explain in that ships terms.

Clinching, on Oceania there is no reason not to book the specialty restaurant the first night. Oceania is different from most cruiselines people are talking about here. Your specialty bookings are included in your cruise, so no extra cost. You also have more than one specialty booking available to you. If you leave it too late it becomes a race to fit them all in.

As well, disregard all the instructions here about informing the maitre d' in the MDR about your specialty bookings. There is no reserved seating in the MDR on Oceania. You simply go to the MDR or the buffet on non-specialty nights, and you're seated alone or with other people, as you request right at that time.

So book your specialty restaurants whenever you prefer. If it were me, I might avoid the last night, as I would have packed away all my decent clothes by then. I'd be down to travelling duds and sleeping duds by dinner time. And just a mention, Oceania does not have any formal dress code ever for any restaurant. Yes, some people put on the glitz, but it's not required. Just be neat, tidy, don't wear shorts or baseball caps, and enjoy the food. That's O's claim to fame.

Clinching, sorry to double post, but you should look at the Oceania section under cruise lines P - Z. Oceania cruises are organized differently in many ways from lines like Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, and so on. For example, you can bring on your own wine and liquor with O. That Oceania board will be more informative for you about your cruise.

Did you look for a Roll Call for your cruise? If not, that can also be a terrific resource for you in planning your cruise. Don't be shy! There are no stupid questions, and folks are glad to help out.

Thanks for your reply. This will be our first cruise and we sway between excitement and apprehension. Your comments about Oceania are in line with the reasons we chose this ship for our first "taster"cruise. It sounds good to me. Yes, I have found the roll call and have been able to join two excursions and it's good to connect with others going on our cruise, I,m looking forward to meeting them. Thanks again.

Add me to the list of not only never eating at the buffet the first night, actually I'd never eat any dinner there.

Just my opinion, but I'm not a big fan of buffets anyway, so why go there when the MDR or speciality restaurants have great food waiting.

The last 2 cruises we did, we did speciality restaurants the first nights.

You tend to get extra freebies then because most people don't go then and they want you to talk it up to others. On one, we got a bottle of wine and on the other the chef was trying out some new appetizers and desserts and gave us many samples as well as a free glass of wine. I've never been on Oceania so I think drinks are included anyway?

The only issue we had is that on one our luggage got lost, but they were able to switch our reservation time so that we had time to shower and change.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi. I am pre-booking the speciality restaurants and read a post stating best not to book for the first night, best to use buffet. Could anyone tell me why. I thought it would be nice to have a "special" meal on our first night at sea.

I have normally heard the opposite...that the fist night is best for specialty restaurants but IMHO there are no "bad" night to book a specialty.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I always go to MDR on first night at table assigned usually 6 or 8 persons to meet them etc. If not compatible it's early enough to ask for a change......LIDO is usually crowded with lost people on first cruise/no luggage/ or just tired from travel. I use my specialty perk on third night, not formal and in the routine of things if new aboard.

Every one has their own theories and that's what a vacation is for.

Archived