Airport to cruise ship with 16 month old

Nessie07

We will be taking our 16 month old with us on our next cruise and don't want to have to bring the carseat just for the short drive from the airport in ft. Lauderdale to the ship. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? What do you do? I would hate to store the bulky carseat in our room. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Forums mobile app

If you purchase transfers from the cruise line you would be transported on a large motor coach which I don't believe require a car seat. You could also arrange with a private transportation company hat provides cars equipped with car seats--you would have to arrange this in advance. A taxi would require a car seat.

Edited by flhokie

Is your baby a lap child on the plane? If not, you'll be happy to have the carseat on the plane. 16 month olds just want DOWN. It is much nicer to have them contained in a seat, esp during turbulence.

Cosco Scenara ($39 at Walmart) are super light and easy to travel with.

Not sure why cruise transfers didn't pop into my head since I've taken them before. I'll look into both of those options thanks!

And yes she will be in our laps on the plane. There will be 4 of us for her to rotate through and we plan on an overnight flight for the way there in the hopes that she will just sleep the whole time.

Thanks for your quick replies :) Trying to plan all the little details out in advance to make this as stress free as possible since it will be our first time traveling with our little one.

Not sure why cruise transfers didn't pop into my head since I've taken them before. I'll look into both of those options thanks!

And yes she will be in our laps on the plane. There will be 4 of us for her to rotate through and we plan on an overnight flight for the way there in the hopes that she will just sleep the whole time.

Thanks for your quick replies :) Trying to plan all the little details out in advance to make this as stress free as possible since it will be our first time traveling with our little one.

Not car seat related, just travelling with kids related. I just discovered liquid melatonin. Look into it (and/or ask your doctor) to help our little one settle on the plane. I just travelled alone with my 2 under 4 years old and it was a life saver for me. Good Luck!

Not car seat related, just travelling with kids related. I just discovered liquid melatonin. Look into it (and/or ask your doctor) to help our little one settle on the plane. I just travelled alone with my 2 under 4 years old and it was a life saver for me. Good Luck!

My husband and I have taken this to help us sleep before but didn't know it was even an option for the kiddos. I've got a list of things to ask the doctor before we cruise so I'll ask about this. Thanks :D

Not to hijack your thread, but my niece was just wondering this same thing-her son is three.

Would she need to call a taxi in advance to request a car seat? Is there an upcharge for that?

Just watching this thread for myself. We've alway drove to the port but in February we are flying for the first time to Miami. Would rather not carry 2 carseats unless I have to. Mine will be 4 & almost 3. I read that the 4 yr old can legally go in a seatbelt in Florida but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

We have always taken a taxi to the airport when we travel and when I call to have the taxi dispatched to us I ask for car seats or boosters and they have always shown up with them.

Our kids are older now, but we travel a good bit with them and have never had a problem..

I was told that the dispatcher knows which taxi drivers have them on hand..

So it might take a bit more planing and making a call when you arrive instead of just going to stand in the line for taxis..

• 2 weeks later...

If you are traveling with a large party it may be worth looking into private car service from the airport to port. Depending on the cruise line, transfers to port can be pretty expensive. I have been able to successfully rent a stretch limo from the airport to port for less than it would have cost our family for a traditional transfer. The private companies also typically have vans and town car type vehicles available. I'm not familiar with Ft Lauderdale's set up but it may be worth a look. We simply requested car seats with the limo. Stress free and they had a DVD on for the kiddos in the car and a drink for mommy. :)

If you are traveling with a large party it may be worth looking into private car service from the airport to port. Depending on the cruise line, transfers to port can be pretty expensive. I have been able to successfully rent a stretch limo from the airport to port for less than it would have cost our family for a traditional transfer. The private companies also typically have vans and town car type vehicles available. I'm not familiar with Ft Lauderdale's set up but it may be worth a look. We simply requested car seats with the limo. Stress free and they had a DVD on for the kiddos in the car and a drink for mommy. :)

Ooohh good idea!! I'll look into that:)

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Forums mobile app

We have never cruised with a carseat. Either we take busses or shuttles(can't accommodate car seats) or we get a taxi with one. If you use the taxi route, you may have a long wait or if you call ahead be sure to specify you need a seat.

Is your baby a lap child on the plane? If not, you'll be happy to have the carseat on the plane. 16 month olds just want DOWN. It is much nicer to have them contained in a seat, esp during turbulence.

Cosco Scenara ($39 at Walmart) are super light and easy to travel with.

Great idea but be prepared to be challenged by the crew when they ask you if it is an FAA approved car seat.

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

Some airlines do rent restrains to children. At 16 months, there is no requirement to purchase a separate seat on the flight though. But, if you have a long flight, it may be a challenge.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_car-seat-safety-using-a-car-seat-on-a-plane_3656331.bc

• 2 months later...

Something to keep in mind is some places charge more to have the car seat. I have twins so we found it cheaper to bring it though it was a pain for space. We were traveling with grandma and grandpa so they kept them for us.

Legally a taxi needs a car seat but a bus doesn't.

Great idea but be prepared to be challenged by the crew when they ask you if it is an FAA approved car seat.

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

Some airlines do rent restrains to children. At 16 months, there is no requirement to purchase a separate seat on the flight though. But, if you have a long flight, it may be a challenge.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_car-seat-safety-using-a-car-seat-on-a-plane_3656331.bc

The Cosco Scenara is an FAA approved car seat. I have never been asked by a flight crew if my seat is an FAA approved seat. I've also been offered a free seat for my under 2 child simply because I went to the counter asked if there were any open seats on the plane and could I place my car seat in it rather than gate check it. If you do not bring the car seat with you on the trip or curb/check-in check your seat they will not approved a seat for a child under 2.

Most don't, but since you need a place for them to have a car seat you usually need a bigger car which costs more. Check with each company individually since the size of vans and their policies will determine what they charge. If you are referring to the cruise ship shuttle then none I have encountered charged, but I would check with your specific cruise to be sure. They usually start charging at three.

Edited by bearette

If you take the shuttles do they charge for a child under 2?

We used the cruise ship transfers and they didn't charge us for our daughter as she will be in our lap. We are going on Celebrity so I don't know if it would be the same for other lines but I'm assuming it would be.

• 5 months later...