Balcony Room with a fear of heights??

TohoCassie

The hubs has a fear of heights ("anything taller than a barstool..."), but has never had a problem on a cruise ship. We have been on many and always get balconies, the higher the better. He has no issue with leaning against the rail and looking out or down. Balconies on high buildings? Totally can't do it.

I too have a major fear of heights. I think I will be ok on the balcony if I stay close to the wall. My real concern is the glass enclosed elevators on Celebrity Reflection. We are on deck 10. Don't know what I was thinking. Will I have to keep my eyes closed every time I get on? Is the floor see through as well?

Our stateroom is midship, close to the main elevators. I understand there are standard enclosed elevators in the front section of the ship which is a bit of a walk from our cabin. Guess I'll be getting plenty of exercise on this cruise.

You can tell from the range of replies that it really depends on your own individual fear.

I've always had acrophobia. Couldn't get me up on a stepladder. Still started pilot lessons in a Cessna 150 when I was 19. Who knows why 1 was a problem and not the other?

The balconies on cruise ships are generally all joined and flush with the side of the ship. This prevents you from having the feeling of no support under you.

Evaluate the depth of your own phobia and if you really think it'll be a problem go with the ocean view idea. Then when you're on the ship befriend someone with a balcony and see if they'll let you check it out. You might find someone on your roll call!

Hope you have a great cruise whatever you decide.

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've always had acrophobia. Couldn't get me up on a stepladder. Still started pilot lessons in a Cessna 150 when I was 19. Who knows why 1 was a problem and not the other?

The balconies on cruise ships are generally all joined and flush with the side of the ship. This prevents you from having the feeling of no support under you.

I posted earlier why; there's a scientific explanation. When you're on a tall building or even a ladder, your eyes are drawn to the ground or the floor, so really feel the height. That's what triggers the fear. On an airplane, your eyes are drawn to the horizon instead, so you don't feel the height, and by extension, don't get the same fear reflex.

One caveat about balconies on some of Carnival's Fantasy class ships. (Sensation is like that; Imagination is not.) Those were tacked on to the outside of the hull during a rebuild, not originally built flush with the body of the ship. So the floors of those balconies kind of hang over the ocean. Just an FYI, if that's an issue for you.

I too have a major fear of heights. I think I will be ok on the balcony if I stay close to the wall. My real concern is the glass enclosed elevators on Celebrity Reflection. We are on deck 10. Don't know what I was thinking. Will I have to keep my eyes closed every time I get on? Is the floor see through as well?

Our stateroom is midship, close to the main elevators. I understand there are standard enclosed elevators in the front section of the ship which is a bit of a walk from our cabin. Guess I'll be getting plenty of exercise on this cruise.

Personally, I've never had a problem with glass elevators as long as the floor isn't see through. But my fear is more toward open heights. I've always been okay in tall buildings as long as I didn't feel like I could fall.

My husband, with the fear of heights, has no problem with the glass elevators, as long as he faces the door. He just lets anyone else on first, then has no need to be near, or even really see, the glass.

I have called it fear of heights, but it's really more a fear of "edges". I will avoid the edge of a subway platform, which really has very little height, but I can go up a 6 ft ladder. The ship's balcony only bothers me at the railing, so I always stay back away from it, near the door and I am fine. Good luck with your booking. I hope everyone who has posted here finds a way to overcome their phobias, whatever they may be.

Just reporting back, having got back today from my first cruise and posted on this thread a few weeks ago.

I'm more the fear of edges than fear of heights too, that's a good way of putting it. I can cope with great heights so long as I am enclosed, but can't cope with gaps or openings (gaps between planks on piers for example).

We were on RCI Adventure of the Seas, interior (promenade) cabin on deck 5. No problems with the cabin at all, but did have a few with the open decks, although nothing insurmountable. Deck 11 had glassed in railings, which I was able to approach, but the decks with metal railings (decks 4 and 12 and the helicopter landing pad at the front) I had to stay well back from the rails (made myself approach once to see some dolphins, but it was really hard for me). I also hated seeing my children approach those rails. I struggled at first with the glass elevators but persevered by and was fine after a few days.

As for the balcony question, I still don't think I would want one with young children. If it was just me and my husband then it would be fine, I could stay indoors if I didn't like it, but the thought of my children being out there would make it very hard for me.

If you are looking at Carnival, some of their new ships have what's called Cove Balconies. These are semi-enclosed balconies on lower decks than traditional balconies. This might be perfect for you. Look for pictures of the Coves in the Carnival forum.

Archived