Aussie NZ Visa Situation in Tunisia

ausi ski bum

We have discussed this a lot on varoius sites as we are visiting Tunisia in October on the Ruby Princess.

Situation, we have been told by the Tunisan Embassy in Canberra that we need a visa fr the one day stop in Tunisia, they tell us to buy it in advance as it costs $150 each here but if we get off the ship without one we will have to pay $300 over there. They say it is not a Transit situation as we get off the ship and even if this is for just a few hours a visa is required.

Now we know this has come in since March this year so are there any Australians or New Zealanders that have been to Tunisia in the past three months that can advise what occured.

I ask because the Embassy is adament we need the visa but some people say the Canberra Embassy gets this wrong.

Passengers from the UK and USA do not need this visa so dont panic, its just that Australia does not yet have such an arrangement in place.

Oh one other thing I did read is you can not get into Tunisia on an Isreal passport or if you have ever visited Isreal and they find the stamp in your pass port.

• 3 months later...

We did not go in the end Princess canceled the port due to political unrest and we went to Malta instead, with luck the same will occur for you, Malta was awsome.

On top of that Aussies dont need visa from what I have been told.

Thanks for getting back to me. I did find some info on Tripadvisor advising that it was a scam. So I'm not worrying. If I get there and they want to charge me $300 I'll stay onboard. I have read though that I just have to fill in a landing card. I'm going on the Norwegian Jade. It is doing the itinerary for the first time at the moment so I'm looking forward to reading some of the reviews.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...
I've just heard back from the cruise that just visited Tunisia- Australians didn't need a visa they just had to fill in a landing card.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well, I certainly hope not ... because we fly out from Perth tomorrow and will be on Norwegian Jade on 28/12 ... and if we are refused boarding because we don't have a visa for Carthage, I am going to be mightily annoyed!! :mad:

Well, I certainly hope not ... because we fly out from Perth tomorrow and will be on Norwegian Jade on 28/12 ... and if we are refused boarding because we don't have a visa for Carthage, I am going to be mightily annoyed!! :mad:

I'm on that cruise too. I'm also doing the 8th Jan cruise too. We're treated as being in transit so we just get a landing card for the day. :)