Trenitalia Super Economy Fares

NCMtnBoys

Our November Med/Adriatic cruise has an overnight stay in Venice and our first day in Venice we've decided to take the train from Venice to Desenzano del Garda/Sirmione to visit my brother. I've been watching the Trenitalia website, anticipating soon being able to purchase train tickets for our journey - it looks like the soonest they can be purchased is 4 months ahead of time. When I have put in some dummy dates about 4 months from now just to see what the prices look like, I've noticed some Super Economy fares which were 9 Euro per person, each way. The first time I did this, they popped up. The next time I did this, they did not. I know the seats are very limited, and I know they are very restricted. Another time when I used some dummy dates for four months out, no Super Economy fares came up, even though I felt like I would be booking at the earliest possible opportunity.

For those that are more familiar with Trenitalia, my question is...when I am finally able to purchase the tickets on/around July 26 (for November 26), if there are no Super Economy fares showing then, is there a chance that they will offer some down the road? I don't know enough about Trenitalia to know whether they arbitrarily offer Super Economy fare sales down the road, or whether they're always only offered at the point that tickets become available for a certain date. I have read that if they aren't offering the Super Economy fares on that date, they will say "sold out".

In other words, if on July 26 I don't see Super Economy fares I am unsure whether to wait to purchase because they will likely offer some later (3 weeks, 2 months, etc), or whether because there are none available on that date, there never will be.

Thanks for any information!

I book them all the time when they are available. That said, I often go ahead and book if I am happy with the fare on the route.

What you will often see is that they may be available closer in on first class for 19 euro, while the economy ticket would cost 21 in economy

One thing to be aware of with 'super economy' tickets is that they are in no way refundable or changeable.

So, even if a connection is late arriving, the ticket on the scheduled route, if that train has departed, would be forfeited as that fare is train specific with no refunds or changes allowed.

Archived