Porto Venere or The Cinque Terre?

MalibuCA

We will be in Porto Venere on the Crystal Serenity from 8 to 5 on Tuesday, April 29. From what I have read here, and on Tripadvisor and guide books, I'm inclined to take the ship's shore excursion to the Cinque Terre. Although the exact itinerary is not definite yet, based on prior tours that Crystal has offered, it looks like there may be one of the following tours offered: 1) a tour that visits Vernazza and Monterosso (utilizing a private boat to transport us between the villages) or 2) a tour that visits Manorola, Riomaggiore and Vernazza (utilizing our feet on a walk between Manorola and Riomaggiore and a ferry to Vernazza). Both tours have been offered in the past, and #2 currently shows on the Crystal website for this specific cruise, but of course, that can change this far out.

I have also read numerous postings here describing the beauty of Porto Venere, although I've found very little information about Porto Venere in my guide books (both Frommers and Rick Steves).

For those of you who have visited this wonderful area in Italy, how do you recommend we spend our day? Stay in Porto Venere? (and in that case, please specify what we see and do there). Or visit the Cinque Terre as described in one of the two tours above?

Thanks for your help!

Shelley

The Cinque Terre is probably the most spectacular and scenic, and the ships excursion is the way to go .

Portovenere is a lovely coastal village with a great hilltop fortress, home to Lord Byrons Grotto. Great waterfront dining, and a charming village behind. Portovenere is the gateway to the Gulf of Poets, and when the CT is crawling with tourists the local Italians head for the charming villages of the Gulf of Poets.

Alternatively navigazionegolfodeipoeti runs ferry services from Portovenere to both the Cinque Terre and Portovenere . Their website (suffix .it ) gives timetable details .

Archived