Kids motion sickness meds

apey9995

I've read in many places that it's harder to stop the symptoms of motion sickness once they start rather than prevent them from the beginning (by starting to take meds the day before you board). Is this only true for adults?

It's not HARDER to stop the symptoms... Most people are just miserable that they already have the symptoms.

We were aboard the Carnival Legend, on the back half of a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean. We were at the last port of call, Belize. t was a good day, but when we left Belize, we had to skirt around a small Hurricane that was heading towards the place.

The next day at sea, we felt the weather. My wife and I were getting a couples massage, when right in the middle of the massage, we got a call from the Kid Camp that one of my kid's wasn't feeling too good.

I cut my massage short, threw on my sweats and went down to retrieve my kid. Got him to the room, popped a Dramamine in him, he sat in bed watching the TV and was out in 1/2 hour. He was out for a couple of hours but it was good for him, he couldn't go out on the deck anyway. Too windy. After the nap, he was good for the rest of the day through dinner. He went back to the kids club for the evening and by that time we were out of the worst of it.

I guess in hindsight, we could have dosed him up earlier since we kinda knew that the ship was going to be sailing northeast as the hurricane was heading southwest. Usually, you don't run into seas that rough, and the ships are so big that you barely feel the movement... so the meds are an afterthought for us.

It's not HARDER to stop the symptoms... Most people are just miserable that they already have the symptoms.

We were aboard the Carnival Legend, on the back half of a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean. We were at the last port of call, Belize. t was a good day, but when we left Belize, we had to skirt around a small Hurricane that was heading towards the place.

The next day at sea, we felt the weather. My wife and I were getting a couples massage, when right in the middle of the massage, we got a call from the Kid Camp that one of my kid's wasn't feeling too good.

I cut my massage short, threw on my sweats and went down to retrieve my kid. Got him to the room, popped a Dramamine in him, he sat in bed watching the TV and was out in 1/2 hour. He was out for a couple of hours but it was good for him, he couldn't go out on the deck anyway. Too windy. After the nap, he was good for the rest of the day through dinner. He went back to the kids club for the evening and by that time we were out of the worst of it.

I guess in hindsight, we could have dosed him up earlier since we kinda knew that the ship was going to be sailing northeast as the hurricane was heading southwest. Usually, you don't run into seas that rough, and the ships are so big that you barely feel the movement... so the meds are an afterthought for us.

There is where I read that it is harder to stop the symptoms once you have them and prevention is best. Web MD Motion Sickness

It's best to try to prevent motion sickness, because symptoms are hard to stop after they start. After motion sickness has started, relief comes only after the motion has stopped. If you can't stop the motion, you may be able to reduce the feeling of queasiness by sitting or lying down in an area that appears to move the least. In an airplane, sit near the wings. On a boat or ship, stay on the deck, looking at the horizon. Or try to sit or lie down in a cabin near the center of the ship.

For the most part, the cruise ship should be fine without the use of medication unless it is caught in rough seas.

For the most part, we've taken the Dramamine, and used it for little boat excursions - snorkeling trips, catamaran rides, glass bottom boat tours.

If you pre-medicate during the entirety of the cruise, you might not have an option if your child might start feeling something on a little 40' Catamaran ride. I like to save the stuff for those occassions.

My younger son (the middle one) gets motion sickness on carousels. The other two have pretty good sea legs... but they will all get a little sick on grandpa's 26' fishing boat in Raritan Bay.

Cruise ships? No... except when in a hurricane.

There is where I read that it is harder to stop the symptoms once you have them and prevention is best. Web MD Motion Sickness

I agree 100%....I use the Trans Scope patch for me...I have never tried a cruise without it so I may very well not get sick...but I get sick even in the passenger seat of a car so I do not want to try to go without. Once it hits, it is very hard for it to go away and then I don't enjoy myself. My one son is the same way so I give him meds prophylacticly.....I know how miserable I get. The other one has never taken anything and been fine, and my husband has only needed bonine once or twice.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Hi everyone,

Getting ready to cruise with our kids ages 2 and 6. I am very prone to motion sickness, so I will be using the patch for the trip, but I'm concerned about what to use for the kids. My pediatrician recommended over the counter children's Dramamine.

Does anyone have any other OTC brands they prefer for small children? Also, I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and give them a dose before we sail "just in case", or wait and see how they do. I hate to make them drowsy or drug them up for no reason, but then again I hate for them to be sick and then have to wait for the meds to kick in. Curious to see what other parent's experiences have been?

Our only other cruise was on the Carnival Fascination with very rough seas on the first day, and there were rows of poor kiddos laid up on the lido deck with puke bags. I felt so bad for them.

Thanks in advance!

We took Sea Bands for Kids that you wore on your wrist on our last cruise because there had been hurricanes in the gulf the week before and word was the seas were still rough. Check at your local pharmacy for suggestions. Since we didn't end up needing them and they were still in the original packaging we were able to return them

I have the sea bands and plan to start with those and use the kids dramamine only if she gets sick. She does get car sick, not always but it happens. She gets sick on planes, almost always. I figure if we get on and she starts to feel sick I know to give it to her for the rest of the trip but will try to avoid it if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it only for kids or can adults use them also? My 7/9 YO may or may not get sick. We'll be on the Oasis which is huge so I'm hoping there won't be too much rocking. After reading this thread, I was going to get some kids dramamine also just in case but only give it if needed. Thanks.

Is it only for kids or can adults use them also? My 7/9 YO may or may not get sick. We'll be on the Oasis which is huge so I'm hoping there won't be too much rocking. After reading this thread, I was going to get some kids dramamine also just in case but only give it if needed. Thanks.

s2ow.jpg

Just got off the Allure yesterday, and we had two rocking days on board with strong winds. So definitely take something with you if you think there is a chance you will get sea sick. The rest of the days never really noticed any movement.

Archived