Driver's License/Birth Certificate

luvthesea2

I will be going on the Majesty to Bermuda and will be using a Driver's license and birth certificate. When I went to get a copy of my BC my d.o.b. is wrong!! They cannot change it so now if you compare my driver's license with the birth certificate the d.o.b. does not match!!

The registry of motor vehicles said it will take up to 7 days to get a new license (we sail July 10), so my question is will the temporary license they give you good enough or will they need to see the actual id.

Did they let you keep the original license also? If so, I'd take the original, plus the temporary.

If not, does the temporary have a picture? If it doesn't, you may have a problem.

I had clients who, just before sailing, realized that the husband's driver's license had expired. He went to get a new one, but was given only a paper temporary. He took it with the original expired license and was allowed to board.

The birth certificate is what establishes citizenship. The driver's license is just used as a photo ID. The DOB is really only used to determine your age for whatever age limitations may apply for alcohol or being old enough to cruise on your own.

Make sure you have a state issued birth certificate with a raised seal.

I believe the important thing is the picture on the license. The birth certificate establishes citizenship. The picture establishes identity.

From what I have read, I believe you are exactly right. Travel docs have to match birth certificate/passport (document of citizenship).

Okay, thanks for all the imput regarding this situation.....I have called NCL 3 times and spoke with 3 different people. All 3 agents gave me different answers!!

1. Keep it the way it is.

2. You can correct it but the TEMPORARY license must be a valid Government Issued ID (which no one at the RMV could tell me)

3. Keep old license but also get a temporary one with the new d.o.b. and bring both.

I am going with option 3 which seems more logical, since I might actually receive the original sooner than 10 days and have it to take with us. I so wish I got PASSPORTS :( Now I really need a vacation........

Archived