Quest 10 day Mediterranean cruise

asmody

My wife and I decided to book the following excursions and wondered if anyone had any comments or suggestions on our choices:

Ephesus - the apartments and library tour.

Sicily - Taormina and Mt. Etna tour.

Ponza - the boat and grottoes tour of the island.

Saint-Florent - Bastia island tour.

Also, is it worth having an early dinner at Ephusus and attending the evening classical music concert? Is it a small chamber orchestra?

We decided to explore Chios, Santorini and Lipari on our own. Two years ago we were disappointed in Livorno, having visited Florence many times in the past, we decided to stay in Lovorno...we were back at the boat after 1 1/2 hours. This time we're planning to take the train to Lucca, via Pisa, as our one and only previous visit to Lucca was brief. Only thing, it's a Sunday and I 've read the town is fairly quiet on Sundays...is this true?

You must include the Terraced Houses when doing Ephesus. Brilliant. Also, although we have not been to Ephesus with Seabourn (we were with another company) I know that everyone will tell you not to miss the evening concert in Ephesus which is complimentary. The ship is geared up for a lot of the passengers doing it so meals are served to fit in.

Others on this board will give you more details.

Lipari is also tiny and will not take you long to wander around. I think some people went on a taxi tour, just picking one up at the port. The beauty of Ponza and Lipari is that there will not be any other ships in as they are so small.

You must include the Terraced Houses when doing Ephesus. Brilliant. Also, although we have not been to Ephesus with Seabourn (we were with another company) I know that everyone will tell you not to miss the evening concert in Ephesus which is complimentary. The ship is geared up for a lot of the passengers doing it so meals are served to fit in.

Lipari is also tiny and will not take you long to wander around. I think some people went on a taxi tour, just picking one up at the port. The beauty of Ponza and Lipari is that there will not be any other ships in as they are so small.

Definitely agree the complimentary evening concert is well worth doing.

We were on a 'Quest' back to back cruise in June & called at Kusadasi twice & as we enjoyed the first concert so much, decided to go again.

The first venue was in front of the main amphitheatre & the second was the small Odeon amphitheatre near the top entrance. The first was sitting down at tables, with the performers on a small stage. The second was initially stand up at 'bar' style tables, then one gravitated to the amphitheatre (with drinks!) for the concert.

If you do not want to eat before the concert, the Patio Grill was open for meals on return.

Also, there were professional photographers on arrival & we were given 3 complimentary photos a few days after the concert.

Regarding Ponza & Lipari, we hired our own boats in both places, but other passengers enjoyed both the ship's tours & other ones which were available near the tender disembarkation area. They are both delightful islands & if the weather is good the swimming anchored off the cliffs or at some of the isolated beaches (albeit rocks/pebbbles!) is superb with very clear turqouise water.

th_IMG_3167.jpg?t=1374045439

th_IMG_3172.jpg?t=1374045461

th_IMG_3242.jpg?t=1374045490

th_IMG_3248.jpg?t=1374045531

We did the taxi tour of Lipari. I think it was around 90 Euros. But the tour was excellent and the driver very pleasant and very customer oriented. At one point he stopped his taxi, scrambled up a nearby hill and came back with a big lump of obsidian for us (it cleaned up very well and looks good by the fireplace).

You have plenty of time to wander around the town and do a taxi tour if you wish.

Just as a word of caution the evening concert at Ephesus will take place in the amphitheater as opposed to the Library where it takes place on the triplets. It's still a very nice experience but not quite as special.

I would go to Mt Etna or Taormina -- otherwise you will just be gliding by the highlights. Some of these bus tours just seem to me to try to cram too much in because people feel like they have to see everything and return having seem very little. This is only one of the reason we usually avoid ship tours.

Archived