Offsite Port of Miami Parking

cherbear4000

My original plan was to park at one of the offsite places to save money. I am going on an 8 day cruise so parking at the port will get expensive. I am reading on here that it is a bad idea to park anywhere but the actual port because the neighborhood.

Has anyone actually had a bad experience car parking offsite?

My original plan was to park at one of the offsite places to save money. I am going on an 8 day cruise so parking at the port will get expensive. I am reading on here that it is a bad idea to park anywhere but the actual port because the neighborhood.

Has anyone actually had a bad experience car parking offsite?

Lots of people on this board have had terrible experiences.

The problem is this: Miami is a truly shady town. The cruise parking places that ripped people off have long since changed names and are operating out of different areas.

The city is corrupt, the police are corrupt, and the local government is usually quite a mess. Thinking that someone will straighten this out is naïve.

Miami is a foreign country governed by foreigners. It doesn't work the way the rest of the US works.

I have no skin in the game whatsoever. I gain nothing from trying to get you to park at the pier.

Truthfully you could park at any one of the offsite places and have a great experience for $40.

However, I just would like to warn you that the opposite is not an isolated event. Chances are just as good that you will be the victim of a crime.

We went on our first cruise in December out of Miami. I purchased offsite parking at an overflow lot next to the arena where the Miami heat play. The yard was clean and fenced in. I was a little sceptical at first when I drove up because there really are no signs but I had my confirmation letter and my GPS and when I found it I asked the attendant if I was at the right place. He said yes so I then drove around the corner and over the bridge to where the cruise port area was and offloaded the entire family and luggage and then drove back to the car parking lot. The lot was busy but there were a few spots available and after I parked I walked to the cruise port. I walked through an empty parking lot, across a busy street adjacent to the Miami heat arena then walked across the bridge and the grass through the cruise port parking lots that cost a fortune. All together it took me 30 minutes to walk from the parking lot to the ship. At no time did I feel unsafe. I am a 42 year old male so maybe depending on your age and sex you may not want to walk, but there are cabs that drive to the cruise port constantly. You just have to ask the attendant for a phone number and call on your cell phone. It cost me about $4 or so a day. I can't remember the exact price...maybe it was $4.50 a day. It was well worth the walk and the cost savings. Taking a cab would be a 5 minute drive and maybe $10 if I had to guess. I highly recommend doing it.

Oh yeah, just to mention. I am Canadian who lives across the border from Detroit and calling a cab for me was not an option since I did not want to rack up roaming and long distance charges on my phone. The walk really was not that bad. On the way back I walked again and had my 16 year old come with me. There was 5 of us with luggage so I didn't want to pay for a cab. Walking the bridge was pretty cool. The scenery with the ships and the buildings is a far nicer than looking across the border to see downtown Detroit. I'm really thinking the people who commented on this post have never parked there and are just telling you horror stories off of their beliefs. It was not that bad and I think I paid around $35 for the week

Oh yeah, just to mention. I am Canadian who lives across the border from Detroit and calling a cab for me was not an option since I did not want to rack up roaming and long distance charges on my phone. The walk really was not that bad. On the way back I walked again and had my 16 year old come with me. There was 5 of us with luggage so I didn't want to pay for a cab. Walking the bridge was pretty cool. The scenery with the ships and the buildings is a far nicer than looking across the border to see downtown Detroit. I'm really thinking the people who commented on this post have never parked there and are just telling you horror stories off of their beliefs. It was not that bad and I think I paid around $35 for the week
That's it. We all work for the Port Of Miami and get commissions of getting people from Cruise Critic to park there.

It has nothing to do with the fact that Miami is home to one of the highest violent crime rates in the world. Nor the fact that about one in every five people is an illegal alien that would just as soon kill you in cold blood for a twenty dollar bill.

Nor does it have to do with the fact that parts of downtown are very bad and home to gangs and the wrong look will get a bullet in your head.

I'm glad that your one walk around downtown Miami resulted in you trying to convince others that it is fact, a safe place.

lol. Well personally I had no issues with Miami, my parking experience, or my walk so I in my opinion I would do it again. Since the post asked about off site parking I shared my experience. Thank you for your negative concern about Miami and your negative reaction to my experience. I will continue to travel and enjoy my experiences and my money in my pocket instead of living in a scared bubble in my backyard trimming my rose bushes. The person asked for an answer on parking and I gave an unbiased one. I did not ask for yours.

lol. Well personally I had no issues with Miami, my parking experience, or my walk so I in my opinion I would do it again. Since the post asked about off site parking I shared my experience. Thank you for your negative concern about Miami and your negative reaction to my experience. I will continue to travel and enjoy my experiences and my money in my pocket instead of living in a scared bubble in my backyard trimming my rose bushes. The person asked for an answer on parking and I gave an unbiased one. I did not ask for yours.

I'm glad you shared this. I have read so many negative things about the area where Springhill Suites is in Miami (the one by the medical center area) that I almost considered changing my reservation. I realize this isnt the same area as the lot you are talking about; but its not too far from there. I lived in Tampa for 20 years and this area is no worse than some there. No, its not the greatest but I didnt feel unsafe or at risk. I'm glad you had a good experience with this lot.

Archived