Hotels in Key West

mared1

Key West can be divided mentally into geographic sections for the purposes of choosing a hotel or bed and breakfast, or inn. One section is the "quiet" part of town on the Atlantic side and near the airport. A good reasonably priced hotle there is the Doubletree with rooms currently costing about $130 a night with a balcony and less for a room with a window. The view is unremarkable. You can't see the water. You must take a shuttle to town or drive.

Another one hear that hotel is the Best Western, but it is hard to secure bookings there. Some rooms have a water view.

Then Roosevelt Street has the usual chain hotels and motels most facing the Gulf and sunsets. These aren't badly priced, but they are heavily used. You will also need transportation downtown,as it is too far and hot to walk.

Then there is "Old Town," classic Key West...the area with the typical architecure, famous bars, galleries, tourist attractions, cruise ship docks, Mallory Square, etc. On the waterfront are the luxury hotels---Pier House, Ocean Key Resort, Hyatt Hotel, Hilton Hotel. These places are costly, even in the summer months. While costly, they offer the advantage of being right down town where most of teh action is.

On the Atlantic side closer to Old Town than the Doubletree and Best Western are such places as the historic Flagler hotel, Windham Casa Marina and a neighbor, the newer Windham Reach. Right on Duval, Key West's main "drag", is the La Concha, Key West's tallest building that features a roof top bar famous for its sunset views.

The city is famous for its bed and breakfasts which are situated throughout Old Town. Some well known ones include the Key Lime House, Banyan, Coconut, La Mer, Lighthouse Inn, Chelsey, and many more. The Truman Annex has a historic inn called the Weather Station Inn.

If you go to the web site, floridakeys.com, you will find almost all of these hotels and B&Bs listed and many more. Another site with links to hotels and lodging is keywestnews.com.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Key West and come to love it as much as I do.

Key West is such a nice place to visit!

I don't know when you're planning on traveling, but you might want to check out The Southern Cross Hotel (southerncrosshotel.com). I did a quick search for July 10-13, and they have one king or two double beds for $99 per night. The hotel is located right on Duval Street, and is a five minute walk from both Margaritaville and Mallory Square. The rooms are quiet and nice (the bathrooms are small, but clean), and the one we stayed in had a nice view of the gardens of the Oldest House Museum next door.

Let me know if you need any additional information - we enjoy Key West and try to visit there at least once a year.

Carla

Archived