Which balcony is better for Alaska, corner aft or regular side?

allisons

Which balcony is better for Alaska, corner aft or regular side? Particularly, will our view from our balcony be better while cruising Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier if we have a corner aft or regular side? The particular corner aft is Crown Princess C752, so it is not an aft wrap, but it does stick out from the aft giving a decent view to the side. Thanks in advance!

So, we now booked the Island Princess to do the same cruise but on Wednesday instead of Saturday. The Island Princess is exactly the same as the Coral Princess, so I assume it is as highly recommended? We booked E736, of course. Now we just have to decide which cruise to do, but we can sit on both reservations a while.

On the Coral in June, the captain did a slow 360 both in Glacier Bay and at the Hubbard Glacier so it does not matter which balcony cabin you choose.

One thing though, if you stay on your own balcony you probably will not be able to hear the narrator who does a remarkable job of making sense of everything you hear and see. I recommend going topside to take it all in.

On the Coral in June, the captain did a slow 360 both in Glacier Bay and at the Hubbard Glacier so it does not matter which balcony cabin you choose.

One thing though, if you stay on your own balcony you probably will not be able to hear the narrator who does a remarkable job of making sense of everything you hear and see. I recommend going topside to take it all in.

Thank you so much!

Also keep in mind that Glaciers may only calve once or twice while you are there. We find that being on the promenade deck is about the best place to watch for calving. One young couple we dined with stayed on their personal balcony while at Marjerie Glacier and missed the only calving that happened. By being on a public deck, you can keep moving around for the best view.

Or....you can just buy the cruise highlight video to see what you've missed by staying on your own balcony.

I always love the corner afts...but given the option for my most recent May 17th northbound Alaska cruise I went with a midship portside..I was concerned about the weather and glad I had that additional overhead coverage.

Also keep in mind that Glaciers may only calve once or twice while you are there. We find that being on the promenade deck is about the best place to watch for calving. One young couple we dined with stayed on their personal balcony while at Marjerie Glacier and missed the only calving that happened. By being on a public deck, you can keep moving around for the best view.

Or....you can just buy the cruise highlight video to see what you've missed by staying on your own balcony.

Touché! Thanks for the advice!

I always love the corner afts...but given the option for my most recent May 17th northbound Alaska cruise I went with a midship portside..I was concerned about the weather and glad I had that additional overhead coverage.

That's interesting that you went with port side for northbound. I thought that the conventional wisdom was port side for southbound and starboard side for northbound?

I like to see my scenery coming at me so I prefer a regular cabin and like a starboard side northbound and a port side southbound, there is just more scenery to the east then west. Some advance the argument that the port side is better on you glacier day(s) but experienced Alaska cruisers will tell you that if you sit on your balcony you will only take in half of the scenery offered .... you really need to be out on deck to take it all in.

That's interesting that you went with port side for northbound. I thought that the conventional wisdom was port side for southbound and starboard side for northbound?

"Conventional wisdom" :....Some would say either side is great for the inside passage Alaska..We had sailed the northbound on the portside before and found that we had wonderful views especially when docked in port...The views from my JS were spectacular..and doubt we missed anything from our ROS #1042...After all if some of us didn't prefer to book the portside there might not be enough starboard sides to go around for those of you that have conventional wisdom ;):)

Edited by Ashland

I like to see my scenery coming at me so I prefer a regular cabin and like a starboard side northbound and a port side southbound, there is just more scenery to the east then west. Some advance the argument that the port side is better on you glacier day(s) but experienced Alaska cruisers will tell you that if you sit on your balcony you will only take in half of the scenery offered .... you really need to be out on deck to take it all in.

That's all consistent with what I've heard.

"Conventional wisdom" :....Some would say either side is great for the inside passage Alaska..We had sailed the northbound on the portside before and found that we had wonderful views especially when docked in port...The views from my JS were spectacular..and doubt we missed anything from our ROS #1042...After all if some of us didn't prefer to book the portside there might not be enough starboard sides to go around for those of you that have conventional wisdom ;):)

Ha ha! So true!

This will my fifth time to have 9256 booked on the Radiance Class ships I love having a panoramic view of things, thus I book aft cabins. In fact I book my sailings around when I can get an aft if I book far enough in advance.

When you are at the glacier you can always move around the ship. You have a suggested time of arrival to the glacier, so you can stake your claim on the helipad and then retreat to your aft cabin. Saying that I took some great pictures of Hubbard calving on the port side of the ship where there is a covered deck. There wasn't anybody on that deck as people were topside on the helipad or the deck where the pool is.

If you ever do a Panama Canal cruise an aft cabin is a must. The view watching the locks close and filling up without standing in the sun is wonderful.

Will have to give you a review of Canada after we sail on the Legend.

This will my fifth time to have 9256 booked on the Radiance Class ships I love having a panoramic view of things, thus I book aft cabins. In fact I book my sailings around when I can get an aft if I book far enough in advance.

When you are at the glacier you can always move around the ship. You have a suggested time of arrival to the glacier, so you can stake your claim on the helipad and then retreat to your aft cabin. Saying that I took some great pictures of Hubbard calving on the port side of the ship where there is a covered deck. There wasn't anybody on that deck as people were topside on the helipad or the deck where the pool is.

If you ever do a Panama Canal cruise an aft cabin is a must. The view watching the locks close and filling up without standing in the sun is wonderful.

Will have to give you a review of Canada after we sail on the Legend.

We also had 9256 on Radiance of the Seas for Alaska this summer. It was a great balcony. That's what we usually go with. But Alaska is new to us, hence the question.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had some really warm sunny days on the sailing we are on right now. In ISP it was so bright and hot it was hard to use the balcony. Parked in Skagway right now backed in so 9256 is wonderful. We had this cabin in May of 2009. Don't remember it being so bright..I would think about maybe another aft more in the center. If I get great pictures at Hubbard 9256 will be just right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We have had some really warm sunny days on the sailing we are on right now. In ISP it was so bright and hot it was hard to use the balcony. Parked in Skagway right now backed in so 9256 is wonderful. We had this cabin in May of 2009. Don't remember it being so bright..I would think about maybe another aft more in the center. If I get great pictures at Hubbard 9256 will be just right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Wow! Enjoy! So different than the cold, rainy, overcast weather on our cruise! We couldn't even go to Hubbard!

We had an aft wrap on our first Alaskan cruise six years ago and booked another aft wrap for our Alaskan cruise this month. With the wrap deck, we were able to see more than fighting for space on the open decks. In addition, this time we have a covered deck, so we will be prepared for the weather. It was nice to view the glaciers in our robes drinking hot coco on our balcony!

We had an aft wrap on our first Alaskan cruise six years ago and booked another aft wrap for our Alaskan cruise this month. With the wrap deck, we were able to see more than fighting for space on the open decks. In addition, this time we have a covered deck, so we will be prepared for the weather. It was nice to view the glaciers in our robes drinking hot coco on our balcony!

That's exactly what we're thinking!

Is 9256 (within the Radiance class RCI) the only cabin that fits into that category? Is there a sister to it on the other side of the ship as well? We are a long way from even booking Alaska - so no worries, I am not booking competition. :D Just trying to get an idea. We have previously only sailed with balconies mid ship.

Thanks to all, and happy Thursday!

Is 9256 (within the Radiance class RCI) the only cabin that fits into that category? Is there a sister to it on the other side of the ship as well? We are a long way from even booking Alaska - so no worries, I am not booking competition. :D Just trying to get an idea. We have previously only sailed with balconies mid ship.

No, that's the only one. The other side is a suite.

Aha! No wonder it's so highly coveted. Hubby is afraid of seasickness in aft area, so I will probably look for mid ship anyway. Maybe a hump cabin. I will just be happy to go...

The hump balconies on Radiance class are nice too! We had one on the Serenade OTS years ago!

There are other cabins on the aft that are the same catagory as 9256. The balcony that mirrors 9256 is a suite as allisons mentioned. You could book a cabin next door to 9256 and have the same view, but not the wrap around. You would still have a larger balcony than on the side. Be careful when booking a hump balcony that you get one that isn't the end one on the hump as people up from the hump can peer at you from their balcony.

If your hubby has seasick issues you might need to go to a lower deck. My hubby can have issues if the seas are really rough, but for the most part Alaska is calm.