Time for Deer Mountain hike in Ketchikan?

zetalove08

Good morning!

I am preparing for our upcoming 7-night cruise to Alaska! One thing I'm still unsure about is our port in Ketchikan. We will only be there from 7am-12:30pm, so we don't have a WHOLE lot of time.

I was wanting to go hiking at some point, and this seemed like the best opportunity. After doing some reviewing of threads on here, I found Deer Mountain which seems like the best option since it's somewhat close to where the ship docks and the pictures look great!

Do you think we'll have enough time in our time there to get to the trailhead, do the trail, and get back? Will we have any extra time to walk around town? Has anyone done it in this time?

Any feedback/suggestions is much appreciated!

We were also thinking about taking a bus to Totem Bright national park, but I doubt we'll have time to do that and the hike??

The key to answer this question will be, all you need to do, is set your time. After a couple hours, turn back. Figure out how long you want to be hiking, be WELL prepared for rail. 4 hour would fill up your port time. You need to allow, 3 hours for Totem Bight. Hiking is limited there, but I highly recommend a visit to Potlatch Park if going there, adding a potential hour. Buses only run once/hour.

Take a taxi to the Deer Mountain trailhead from the cruise ship dock . It'll save you some time and energy. I'd do about an hour of the trail and then turn around and come back down. It'll give you some give photo ops along the way. It's a good hike.

The key to answer this question will be, all you need to do, is set your time. After a couple hours, turn back. Figure out how long you want to be hiking, be WELL prepared for rail. 4 hour would fill up your port time. You need to allow, 3 hours for Totem Bight. Hiking is limited there, but I highly recommend a visit to Potlatch Park if going there, adding a potential hour. Buses only run once/hour.

too late to correct the spelling error, should be "rain". :)

Take a taxi to the Deer Mountain trailhead from the cruise ship dock . It'll save you some time and energy. I'd do about an hour of the trail and then turn around and come back down. It'll give you some give photo ops along the way. It's a good hike.

I agree with this recommendation. Take the taxi there, and give yourself a set amount of time before turning around and heading back down the trail to town. It also doesn't hurt to call a taxi for the ride back into town after the hike. While a beautiful hike, be prepared for it to be fairly steep and strenuous on your way out, then a nice downhill doubling back.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. :)

I'm still so torn as to exactly how we will do it.

What would you chose- Deer Mountain Hike (with limited time so turning around after a set point) or Totem Bright?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. :)

I'm still so torn as to exactly how we will do it.

What would you chose- Deer Mountain Hike (with limited time so turning around after a set point) or Totem Bright?

Totem Bight. I like it. When we lived there it was one of my favorite places.

Archived