La Soufriere on St Vincent - How long does it REALLY take?

isabelle315

My fiance and I will be on St. Vincent in March (Oceania Riviera), and would love to hike La Soufriere - but we're worried we won't have time. Port time is 8am to 6pm, tender.

I understand it is quite a long drive to even get to the base of La Soufriere - how long exactly, and what is the cheapest way to do that?

I contacted a hiking group on St. Vincent, and they said the hike itself would take 6-7 hours... on trip advisor, some reviewers say they did it in 3 roundtrip. We are young and in good shape. What is the real deal on this? I'm sure it can vary, but a 3 hour difference is quite a lot.

Finally - do you really need a guide to do the hike?

I know a few of these have probably been asked before, but I can't find the answer to the duration of the hike. Thanks!!

Julie

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I don't think you can do this in the time you have. Le Soufriere is on the north end of St. Vincent, and the harbour is at the extreme south end. Even though the road distance to the north is not that long, the roads are not made for fast travel. Very narrow, hairpin turns, you can't really count on more than forty clicks an hour. You'd have to double that, because you have to get back too, or you'll miss the ship.

And where the road trip ends, you are still looking at quite a hike even to get near the volcano - the people are not going to build their only road (and there's only one) anywhere near a place where a burp from the volcano could obliterate it.

I love St Vincent, but this doesn't sound like a good day trip from a cruise ship. My best advice is to arrange a water trip up and back along either coast. Trip Advisor can help you find tour operators who will give you a fine day.

Archived