Falmouth to Montego Bay

Esahuma

We will be in Jamaica in Feb 2014 and want to know if any cruise critic friends can advise on getting from the cruise port to to Montego Bay - risky? How Much? Is it better to book through RCI at $40 pp? Only wanting to see a bit of the the sights on the way to Montego Bay and spend some time in the area before heading back to the ship -

Thank you for helping out!

I can only offer a tiny bit of advice, as I will be going to Falmoth in Mar 2014 for the first time. From what I have found, there will be taxi's available each way. My advice, is make sure your taxi has a red license plate on it, these are JUTA taxi's and are regulated. The other taxi's are commoners who call themselves taxi's, and are NOT regulated. Personally, I always go to the back of the taxi and take a picture of it, just my little quirk of reassurance lol.

Sorry, that's all I have at this point.

In Jamaica. If you have a car, you can be a taxi. I personally wouldnt want to just walk out and catch a "Taxi"...and I am usually more adventurous. I would do something a little more controlled and book ahead of time from someone reputable.

Falmouth is really 3rd world, at least the parts we saw on our tour from Montego Bay. I really love Jamaica, we went on a tour through Courtney Taylor and had a guide drive us around and show us the country side from Mo'Bay to Falmouth. The people were fantastic. Sure they are pushy, they are trying to make a living...never had any problem telling them no thank you...usually after a no thank you, they are quick to start up a conversation with you about where you are from, and their knowledge of that place. I am from San Antonio, and all of them wanted to talk to me about The Spurs! I went in being really guarded and ready to be badgered, and I never ran into that, even from some more seedy looking characters. They were all extremely friendly and welcoming.

Have fun and be safe!

Personally, I always go to the back of the taxi and take a picture of it, just my little quirk of reassurance lol.

What a good idea, We've been ripped off by taxi drivers all over the world:o

Always a different scam - we must be getting to the end of them soon:). Maybe they won't be so quick to take advantage if they know we have a pic of their number plate. Alternatively, they might not be too keen to take us at all!

Thank you all! This will be our 2nd trip to Falmouth - usually only get off the ship for a bit and walk around port - want to go to Montego Bay this time around! Advice is appreciated! :)

We just returned and pre booked Reggae tours for a shuttle to Doctor's Cave Beach in MoBay. It was $25 pp round trip and included admission to beach. There was some confusion about return time but it was ultimately decided among those on shuttle for 3:00. The return van was a half hour late. They weren't real organized and not sure if I would use them again.

Archived