Copenhagen Canal Tours and Rosenborg Castle

Hi everyone,

Would love to catch a canal tour at Nyhavn (heard a canal cruise is must do), but have a couple of questions: Of the two companies --Netto and Canal Tours (formerly DFDS)-- which company do we go with? According to Rick Steves, they offer basically the same tour, but Canal Tours is almost double in price. So the obvious choice would be Netto, unless I am missing something? Also, do both companies accept credit cards?

Also, for those of you that went into Rosenborg Castle, is it worth going inside and does the castle accept credit cards?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

Would love to catch a canal tour at Nyhavn (heard a canal cruise is must do), but have a couple of questions: Of the two companies --Netto and Canal Tours (formerly DFDS)-- which company do we go with? According to Rick Steves, they offer basically the same tour, but Canal Tours is almost double in price. So the obvious choice would be Netto, unless I am missing something? Also, do both companies accept credit cards?

Also, for those of you that went into Rosenborg Castle, is it worth going inside and does the castle accept credit cards?

Thanks in advance.

We did DFDS since it was included with our Copenhagen Card but yes they did appear to be the same. Not sure why one is more expensive than the other. We caught our boat across from Christiansborg Palace which was less crowded than Nyhavn. I do know that the DFDS took credit cards but not sure about the Netto Badene. We also visited Rosenborg Palace and toured both the inside place and where they kept the Crown Jewels. A must in my opinion! Admission was also included with our card but I think others did pay with a credit card if I recall correctly. You may want to check their website to confirm. You will not be able to take photos unless you purchase a pass which was very inexpensive and well worth it as there are many nice pictures to be had. Also, you will need local money coins to store backpacks or oversized bags in provided lockers as they don't allow them inside. Enjoy Copenhagen...we loved it!

Dolfans from Miami

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

I've only been on the tour offered by Canal Tours (I blame the jet lag for the fact I forgot I had also read Netto boats was cheaper) and paid cash. But I think that we saw the main highlights from the canal and while Netto may have a slightly different itinerary I highly doubt there is any difference except the price.

We also went to Rosenborg Castle. It was neat and well worth going into if you have the time, especially the treasury. And the setting in the park is so picturesque. But it was not as opulent or elegant as some of the other palaces and castles I have been to. So if you are not easily impressed with palaces you may not enjoy it. We paid cash here as well, but I believe that they took credit cards.

And as dolfans0704 said, you'll need to have a 20 DKK coin (or larger one you could have the ticket counter break) to store any bags. And the allowed bag size is small. My sister and my purses were both too big, and I'd say they are probably medium sized.

I've only been on the tour offered by Canal Tours (I blame the jet lag for the fact I forgot I had also read Netto boats was cheaper) and paid cash. But I think that we saw the main highlights from the canal and while Netto may have a slightly different itinerary I highly doubt there is any difference except the price.

We also went to Rosenborg Castle. It was neat and well worth going into if you have the time, especially the treasury. And the setting in the park is so picturesque. But it was not as opulent or elegant as some of the other palaces and castles I have been to. So if you are not easily impressed with palaces you may not enjoy it. We paid cash here as well, but I believe that they took credit cards.

And as dolfans0704 said, you'll need to have a 20 DKK coin (or larger one you could have the ticket counter break) to store any bags. And the allowed bag size is small. My sister and my purses were both too big, and I'd say they are probably medium sized.

Did you happen to tour Amalienborg as well? If so did you like it?

We also had the Copenhagen Card and I believe I read that Netto canal tours were free with the card at Nyhavn but the other company was not. One had to get it at Christansborg Palace to be free. Since we were at Nyhavn we went with Netto. It was a very nice tour. Our boat had a clear cover over most of the boat. If it was raining, it would be ideal. On a sunny day, people preferred to be out in the open.

Did you happen to tour Amalienborg as well? If so did you like it?

We did not have time to tour Amalienborg palace, just a photo stop of the exterior, so unfortunately I can't offer any observations

A giant vote for Rosenborg. And we were in it after Versailles, Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, Drottingholm as well as many others. It is not as opulent, but you are up close to many artifacts and it is loaded with original furniture, etc. Read the Rick Steves book as you go through. The treasury is amazing. We did it on the last day of our 18 day trip that started in Paris, and we were completely impressed. I paid cash but am pretty certain CC are accepted.

We went on the Netto canal tours today! The route seems the same. I think the benefit of the more expensive one is that you can hop on and off. We thought the Netto tour was great and showed us all the sights. We walked through the rest of the city.

Archived