Rome Coliseum underground tours

HazeGray

There are several companies selling tour tickets on-line to see the coliseum underground and third tier, i.e. Viator, walksoflyitaly, and darkrome. Any recommendations for the best one or how you liked it? The going price seems to be around $123 per person. Any suggestions would be appreciated for seeing the underground and all the rest of the coliseum.

I checked out the COOPCulture site and found the underground tours. I get the impression that the more expensive tours I found consist of not only the coliseum but the forum. Also they advertise small groups. How large are the groups on the COOP tour and do you wear headsets? Thanks for the good info. CruiseCritic is invaluable.

We booked the 22.50E tour of the underground and third floor. We thought it was great. These areas are only accessible through the tour. You actually go through locked gates to access these areas. There were maybe 20 in our group. We were all given a headset so we could hear the guide. I would highly recommend the underground tour. My family including children 14 and 10 found it really interesting.:)

I second going through the COOP website. Our family enjoyed it and while many people love very very very thorough tours, we don't.

I personally think that the Forum is one place you can study up on, and take the time to simply walk through and enjoy it by exploring and taking pictures.

We did the Forum "by ourselves" really early at 9am when it was not crowded, then did a 12pm Underground Tour with the Colosseum. This arrangement was really fun and worked out well for us.

I see that the Underground Tour is 1.5 hours long. Does it cover everything about the Colosseum, including the area that the general public visits, or only the underground level and the third tier level? Would the Underground Tour provide an overall tour of the Colosseum as well as just these exclusive areas?

Thanks,

Shelley

I see that the Underground Tour is 1.5 hours long. Does it cover everything about the Colosseum, including the area that the general public visits, or only the underground level and the third tier level? Would the Underground Tour provide an overall tour of the Colosseum as well as just these exclusive areas?

Thanks,

Shelley

No general areas, just the restricted ones, including the stage.

While you don't tour the general area you do go out onto a platform recreating part of the Colosseum stage and the guide describes the features of the Colosseum you are looking at. You also see everything from the third tier which is great. You can walk around the general areas on your own before or after the tour.

Thanks,

Shelley

Hi Shelley

In case it helps I made this from my Underground/3rd tier tour

It shows everywhere we went, so it is the full Colosseum experience. When your guide says goodbye you are free to stay in there as long as you wish. The Underground bit is at about 3.00

Cornishpastyman- loved your video! Will be in Rome aprox 5 weeks from now-can't wait!

Watching your vid made me wish I was leaving tomorrow!

Thanks. The Colosseum has been there for nearly 2000 years so it won't change much in the next 5 weeks :D All the best, Tony

Archived