Infinity Alaska 6/19 - Bad Smell

bbuehler

Inside a cabin I can understand an unpleasent/ noxious odor. In a hallway I can understand an odor problem. With Phil I can understand the problem. But outside I have trouble. The air is moving from somewhere other than the ship unless the sliding door was left open, in which case it could be coming from inside.When I have been on the balcony I have noticed smells coming from the port, the ocean, the smoker on the next balcony, etc. A puzzle that I hopes gets solved since I am booked on the Infinity on the Penthouse deck in March.

Ok, so now we know a hugh number of guys have malodorous flatulance and problamatic proboscis'.

We were in 6114 Infinity May 28th-June 9th and I did smell something in the hallway a couple of times, thought it was the curry.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give an update on our experience with a Bad Smell on the Infinity. First off, I'd like to say that Celebrity's customer service was extremely helpful, apologetic and professional. I was extremely impressed by the way they handled the situation.

Within 4 hours of faxing them the statements from the hotel director, a representative called with the resolution. They apologized for the smell, recognized the problem and offered a discount on a future cruise for each of the passengers in the affected staterooms.

Celebrity's response was very professional and emphasized their focus on good customer service.

I think that Celebrity knows there is a problem and are trying to fix it.
It's NOT just the Infinity. While none of our cabins or balconies have ever smelled in the least, we've commented on almost all of our recent X cruises (last 4 or so years) at one time or another about awful smells while walking the length of one interior corridor or another. We've always encountered these smells in stateroom corridors and not in public spaces.

Our last cruise was our first on the Constellation, and it was no exception. I do not recall the deck (more than likely 8), but as we were heading from aft to the front elevator bank, we ran through some absolutely AWFUL smells -- definitely of the sewage type. I don't know if some of our fellow passengers were having major league digestive problems or what. I certainly am glad we weren't quartered in those parts of the ships in which we've encountered this!

Has anyone ever had a definitive answer as to what causes this?

We, too, were victims of incredibly awful, sewage-like odor on our last cruise. The odor was so abominable when we first went to the ninth deck (where our CC cabin was located that we asked the steward where the odor was coming from. He said wasn't aware of any odor! We got some relief when we closed our cabin door -- until we opened the door to our balcony. The odor was also particularly offensive on the tenth deck, even when the ship was underway.

We talked to a number of people about it -- some admitted it was an ongoing problem and some insisted our report was the first they had heard of it. The odor was always from midship to aft.

I'm not very reassured to read that it has been reported on a number of ships. We didn't notice it on Constellation, but then our cabin (still ninth deck) was foreward. The incident I've recorded above was on Millennium - for 28 days! (no we did not ask for, or think of compensation):eek: I admit to being dismayed about hearing Infinity is a victim, too. We're booked on her October 9. I hope the problem is fixed - fleetwide - soon.

I've reserved a 2006 cruise from Alaska on the Summit. I've read hundreds of posts during the last month helping me to plan.This is the strangest thread trhat I've encountered!

Our cabin will be on Penthouse deck so I read with interest the postings on the smell. I am thankful to the people who formally alerted Celebrity about the odor problem. I'd want the problem fixed; there isn't enough "compensation" for a unenjoyable cruise.

cruising with marti and tbelian: First of all I would like to say I'm with you 99% of time on matters such as this. But this is different, please explain your reasoning. I've never heard of X sending wine, apologies, and letters to take back home so you may be reimbursed. This tells me it must of been horrible! Would you not be upset if you paid for a balcony and had to keep it shut off? $500 is a weeks pay for some people. I think, as others said the difference between a balcony and ocean view should be kicked back to these folks. Not only is it the right thing to do, it's probably X's only chance to see them as a repeat passenger.

Dear bbuehler,

I am glad Celebrity resolved your concern to your satisfaction. However, I am wondering if they indicated that they knew what the problem was and are working to resolve it.

We were on the Infinity for 10 days in June and noticed the same sewage smell in the hallways. We were on Deck 6 midship but more toward aft.

I have read other posted reporting this same smell on the Infinity dating back to May. I have also read posts as late as mid-July indicating that the smell is still a problem. It concerns me that Celebrity is not acting on this situation more quickly. The smell is highly unpleasant and almost sickening at times.

Also, I have read that this sewage smell has also be reported on other Millennium class ships. We are booked on a Med. cruise next summer on the Millennium but are somewhat concerned about this ongoing problem.

Does anyone know what is causing this smell and if Celebrity plans on fixing it?

Nancy

OfftuneAngel,

Is Infinity not going into drydock as scheduled before our Oct. cruise? I know they were not going to redo that bar but I thought she was still due for some upkeep. I hope so - I don't want that smell when we sail!!! Yuck

In the 7 yrs. we've been cruising with Celebrity, we have occasionally noticed the noxious odor...and just came to the conclusion that it's the sewage system on the ship (various ships). Sometimes it's stronger than others, and at other times, just goes away. I won't let that deter me from cruising EVER! If it got sooo bad that I couldn't stay in my cabin, THEN I'd get ahold of Guest Relations, (as in any hotel), and see what could be done.

OfftuneAngel,

Is Infinity not going into drydock as scheduled before our Oct. cruise? I know they were not going to redo that bar but I thought she was still due for some upkeep. I hope so - I don't want that smell when we sail!!! Yuck

Apparently no drydock then. There is a two day gap (Sept 28 & 29) when Infinity is not showing a schedule. The other 7 days of the originally scheduled drydock has been replaced with a 4 night Mexican Baja, followed by a 3 night Mexican Baja. (Actually, one of our co-cruisers is on the 3 night).

With information (or was it rumour) that Infinity and Summit are switching routes (Infinity going to Caribbean and Summit sailing South America), perhaps Infinity doesn't need a big, scheduled drydock session.

I, too, am happy:) that they are not re-doing the bar, I love that observation area! I do hope that malodorous influences:eek: have dissipated now. They didn't ruin a cruise, but they lessened the enjoyment of it somewhat.

Terry:D

P.S. In addition to smelling like sewage or garbage, the odor also reminded me of the stench some cars make after catalytic converters were installed. Phew!

In the 7 yrs. we've been cruising with Celebrity, we have occasionally noticed the noxious odor...and just came to the conclusion that it's the sewage system on the ship (various ships). Sometimes it's stronger than others, and at other times, just goes away. I won't let that deter me from cruising EVER! If it got sooo bad that I couldn't stay in my cabin, THEN I'd get ahold of Guest Relations, (as in any hotel), and see what could be done.
Noxious is a great description - unfortunately.

As I said earlier, it was bad enough (for me) on our 28 days on Millennium last October that I did bring it to the attention of Theo (Housekeeeping) and Marnix (head concierge), after reporting it to Guest Relations (who were all fabulous!) a number of times, and our room steward, Jose (who was not aware of any odors). None of the above could resolve the issue. All (except our cabin steward) commiserated with us about the odor, but admitted they could do very little about it - since they didn't know its source. We tried staying foreward as much as possible. We also had to avoid using our balcony-which seemed like a waste of money. Live and learn, I guess!

Terry:)

P.S. On my first tranatlantic (14 days) I was on a fifty year old ship (the Atlas) which had a horrendous odor noticeable in the starboard corridor. Once that odor started seeping into our cabin and my aunt became ill, we transferred to an empty cabin on the port side. Two days after we changed cabins, the port corridor was blocked and I had to use the starboard corridor. As I approached the housekeeping cart, an abominable odor caused me to gag -- Housekeeping had just found the source of the odor on the starboard side. "Somehow" a cloth had become caught in the drain of the cabin two doors down from our original cabin. Speculation on how long it was in this drain ranged from 'shrugged shoulders' to "perhaps the last time the drain had maintenance performed on it". The offending rag was black and slimy with mildew (and who knows what else).:eek: Amazingly, the starboard corridor had no odors after that day.:)

Archived