Am I Hearing Things, Does It Really Cost $24 A Day To Park At The Ny Pier

REGINA

We are going out of NY for the first time and I just read someone paid $24 per day. The NY web site read $18.

Is it really worth it? We are planning on driving up from Balto. By the way does anyone know how long that will take?

c

We are going out of NY for the first time and I just read someone paid $24 per day. The NY web site read $18.

Is it really worth it? We are planning on driving up from Balto. By the way does anyone know how long that will take?

c

Considering that it cost upwards of $100 per day to park at some in town lots depending on the time one arrives and leaves, $24 is a bargain for NYC. Security would be more my concern. I would seriously consider taking Amtrak up from Baltimore. They will check your baggae and Penn Station is not far from the pier. Also might consider arriving the day before so as to relax and make certain luggage is with you. Amtrak allows two bags on the car with each passenger and the rest must be checked.

c

This is on the Carnival website. You have to remember that parking is a premium in NYC.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Cruise_Ship_Terminals_Parking_Directions__PORT_OF_NEW_YORK.aspx

ADDRESS: New York City Passenger Ship Terminal

Pier 88/90/92

711 12th Avenue at 55th Street

New York City, New York 10019

TRAVEL TIME:

• 15 miles from Newark International Airport; travel time is approximately 45 minutes.
  • 15 miles from LaGuardia Airport; travel time is approximately 45 minutes.

DIRECTIONS TO THE PORT:

Traveling from outside of New York City

• New Jersey Turnpike North/South
  • Take Lincoln Tunnel to New York City and follow signs to West 42nd Street
  • Turn left on to West 42nd Street
  • Turn right on to 12th Avenue (West Side Highway)
  • Turn left at 55th Street and proceed up the ramp to the terminal
  • Proceed to Pier #88/90/92

PARKING: $24 per day (rates subject to change by the Port Authority)

• Open rooftop, gated, outdoor parking lot under 24-hour patrol.
  • Full payment due upon entering the parking area.
  • Accepted forms of payment: U.S. Dollars, U.S. Traveler's Checks, Visa, MasterCard.
  • No advance reservations required.

For more information: P&O Parking, 212-246-5924.

Considering that it cost upwards of $100 per day to park at some in town lots depending on the time one arrives and leaves, $24 is a bargain for NYC. Security would be more my concern. I would seriously consider taking Amtrak up from Baltimore. They will check your baggae and Penn Station is not far from the pier. Also might consider arriving the day before so as to relax and make certain luggage is with you. Amtrak allows two bags on the car with each passenger and the rest must be checked.

$100! where the most I have ever paid is $40(bad enough)!

:)

As stated by others, it is currently $24 a day to a max of $180 for up to a month. It's still cheaper than a limo (we live about an hour and a half from the city), and easier than trying to find the driver holding a card with your name (possibly misspelled) among the sea of white shirts. If we didn't take our own car, I don't think my husband would go. I've been told it's safe -- we've done it five or six times with no negative results.

c

i'm not really sure what the prices are exactly in the city, but i know that if you are willing to walk a few more blocks to the pier (then parking at the pier) rates are probably lower... i live about 20 mins from the city and we never drive because it is an inconvience considering i'm about 3-5 mins from a subway station, but i'm sure if you look on yellow pages.com for nyc parking, try calling a few places within blocks of the pier...

as far as security, all of the times i've driven down to the city and parked in lots and on the street, i've never had a problem with security... nor has anyone i know that parks in the city...

also, $24 is relatively cheap for the city... some places charge more then that for a few hours... so like i said, shop around... :)

good luck!

$24 a day sounds cheap compared to my experience:

Paid $10 per drink last Fall in Manhattan in a bar on Broadway.

Beer, Margarita, Manhattan, Martini . . . . it doesn't matter. Ten smackers each ! ! :) Amy and I went into the bar, we ordered, she used the ladies room, we drank one round, ordered another, talked about 30 minutes, ordered another....15 minutes later . . . . $60 ! ! ;) I tipped the waitress $20 just so she wouldn't think I was a cheap Californian. $80 and we were only in there 45-50 minutes ! ! .....OH well, that's life.

Loved NYC though. Had a great time. But, I'll stay in California. :D

My last cruise out of NYC was the week of 9/11 and the cost was $12 a day which at the time I thought was pretty bad since Florida ports were still $8 a day. My how times have changed since 9/11!!!!!! I may consider Amtrack next time too!

Amtrak comes into Penn Station which was an $8 cab ride for DD and I last year. We were doing a CTN and didn't have much luggage, so no extra charge there. We got out of the cab across the street from the pier and just pulled our bags across 12th Avenue....this might be difficult with lots of luggage because where we crossed it was cobblestones! Almost anything you do in NYC is costly as in most large cities.

Baltimore is 2 hours from Philly and NYC is 90 minutes from our northern suburb, so do the math.

Make sure you add everything up....Amtrak parking, Amtrak tickets, cab fare, and return. And then fun of lugging your bags all over.

Then compare it to $180 plus your gas and tolls. And don't forget to include TIME.

Make sure you add everything up....Amtrak parking, Amtrak tickets, cab fare, and return. And then fun of lugging your bags all over.

Then compare it to $180 plus your gas and tolls. And don't forget to include TIME.

Absolutely....my one-way ticket from Philly was $60! It worked for me because DH was picking me up on return, but it could be more costly than just paying the secured parking fee. Maybe someone in Baltimore offers transports to NYC piers....occasionally see this advertised in Philly. May be cheaper in the long run.

:confused:

c

Where else are you going to park that cheap in Manhattan? You may find a lot nearby for a little less but then you have to schlep your bags to the pier.

I've seen hotel valets charge as much as $75 per day.

Amtrak comes into Penn Station which was an $8 cab ride for DD and I last year. We were doing a CTN and didn't have much luggage, so no extra charge there. We got out of the cab across the street from the pier and just pulled our bags across 12th Avenue....this might be difficult with lots of luggage because where we crossed it was cobblestones! Almost anything you do in NYC is costly as in most large cities.

Baltimore is 2 hours from Philly and NYC is 90 minutes from our northern suburb, so do the math.

I'll add--use the Amtrak Metroliner--it has fewer stops and is a little faster--it's almost as fast as the currently-nonoperational Acela, and a little cheaper. From BWI to New York Penn Station (code: NYP) is 2.5 to 3 hours--subtract about 15 minutes (I guess? never timed it) if you depart from Baltimore City. www.amtrak.com allows you to reserve online as well as see the schedules and fares.

I was just in NY last weekend and saw what looked like a cruise ship out my hotel window on the west side, south of Times Square from where I viewed it--if I was not mistaken, it's a short cab ride from Penn Station. Been to NYC six times, 3 times by Amtrak, once by bus, once driving, once driving to local train station--I like Amtrak the best.

Todd

I think the $180 price would apply to monthly pass holders. If you go by day, then you would have to pay the $24 per day times the # of days. So an 8 day cruise will cost you $192 plus tax.

no it maxes out at $180.00 and that is including tax...it's bad enough so if you are there for two weeks its still $180.00

less, more like two or three

I don't know how you get to NYC from Baltimore in two hrs. You can do it a little over 3 if you are flying down 95 :) . When I made the drive to balt from NY those pesky troopers were in full force.

$24 a day is cheap!!!

$24 a day sounds cheap compared to my experience:

Paid $10 per drink last Fall in Manhattan in a bar on Broadway.

Beer, Margarita, Manhattan, Martini . . . . it doesn't matter. Ten smackers each ! ! :) Amy and I went into the bar, we ordered, she used the ladies room, we drank one round, ordered another, talked about 30 minutes, ordered another....15 minutes later . . . . $60 ! ! ;) I tipped the waitress $20 just so she wouldn't think I was a cheap Californian. $80 and we were only in there 45-50 minutes ! ! .....OH well, that's life.

Loved NYC though. Had a great time. But, I'll stay in California. :D

yea the bars down in the city are a bit pricey, however if you know which ones to go into, i don't but friends do, they can be cheap... atleast you didn't have to pay a cover charge to get into the bar... they do that alot too...

Archived