Carnival Mastercard/ gift card promotion

I'm with you..I also use mine for anything and everything and pay it off each month so no interest to pay. A couple of years ago, after having had the card for 4 yrs, we paid for an 8 day aft ext balcony cabin to the Panama Canal, all OBCharges and gratuities and airfare with points...totally free vacation. To top it off we still had points left...I'm now working on the next totally free vacation...it works for us :D

I have done the same thing as you it works for us too and no interest!!

I consider the Carnival MC a below average bonus credit card. There are easily 15-20 that offer better perks/bonus. Sorry but 1% is nothing and if you live in the US, there are a slew of cards with much better initial spend bonus perks and ongoing % bonus. Everyone likes to say how they are cruising for free by using their Carnival MC points. They may be cruising for free but they could have gotten at minimum twice the cash back using a number of other cards. Check out any of the credit card point sites and they don't even list the Carnival card as it ranks so low in bang for the buck. I credit card churn and was able to follow my daughter around last year during spring break as she plays ball for her college. There were 3 of us and I used bonus points to fly all 3 of us round trip and stay at upper tier hotel/suites every night and didn't use up half my bonus points. Trip cost would of been in the range of $2500-$3000, but it was truly free as I didn't even use up half my bonus points. With Carnival MC you get $50, but have to spend a fortune to get anything. So in essence you are paying for that cruise. I actually flew round trip with my wife and other child 8 times last year just on bonus points to watch my daughter play. If you're going to spend the money anyways why not utilize the proper cards that meet your spending needs and use those bonus points to pay for your cruise. Many cards offer cash back or gift cards you can sell back at 90 cents on the dollar. If you get $600 sign up bonus that's still $540 cash which is 10 times the Carnival offer.

what kind of card do you have? :)

Instead to edit I am putting a quote to my post. I mean watch out for GeoHack

Seriously, on what reasons? I did have a similar post to a similar topic on another thread. So we should watch out for you because you post similar responses?

Straight and simple the Carnival card does not have near the benefits of other cards at this time. Not even close. A simple google of best credit card bonus offers will prove it or you can live in ignorance like you Captain Morgan. There is one bank in particular that offers crazy airline bonuses and I was able to use the bonus points to get free companion passes for all of last year and next year - so my wife flys free. As we get near the end of this year I will sign her up and do the same thing so the companion pass will be applied to all flights in 2014 to the end of 2015 (just have to time the bonus points to apply beginning of January). I'm not telling anyone which cards to get. To be perfectly honest that depends on your lifestyle and spending habits. I'm just saying the Carnival card is worthless to me because $1 per point on everyday spending is nothing. Everybody offers that with better reward options. Now if you sail Carnival a lot and spend a lot on Carnival then I can see using it just for Carnival purchases. But to say this card is any good for everyday purchases is just ignorance.

I also don't recommend rotating a number of credit cards like I do unless you have auto pay on and make sure they're paid off in full every month. I also don't recommend applying for credit cards if you're planning on purchasing a house in the near future.

I get a lot of great advice on these boards and admittedly don't know as much about cruising as many of these veterans. However I do know a bad/average credit card. So for you Captain Morgan to say watch out for me when I've been on these boards for 10 years and you just joined, you know where you can go...

Archived