Port of Cape Liberty Upgrade

I haven't sailed out of Bayonne in years, but I'm thinking maybe they just don't have the space to put a terminal as large as terminal 18. Maybe they will design this one to be even more efficient so they don't need a giant building. Guess well find out soon!

Have to agree. There is only so much space at Cape Liberty.

Just not having to deal with the shuttle bus would make this terminal more efficient and make the boarding process go faster. The shuttle has not been a deal breaker for us, but, it would be much nicer to do away with the portion of the embark/disembark process.

The 3rd Oasis Class ship has as much of a chance of going to Bayonne as an iceberg forming in the Caribbean. Bayonne may get another ship to port from there besides the Quantum but not an Oasis Class ship. When the 3rd Oasis Class ship comes online it will be based in Florida, either Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale. IMHO that is.....

The 3rd Oasis Class ship has as much of a chance of going to Bayonne as an iceberg forming in the Caribbean. Bayonne may get another ship to port from there besides the Quantum but not an Oasis Class ship. When the 3rd Oasis Class ship comes online it will be based in Florida, either Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale. IMHO that is.....

Ditto, also the height of the vessel would be to large to fit under the VZ.

I think Port Canaveral will get something based on attached article (you may have seen this too). I have not seen any news articles myself about the Miami Port upgrade. Although Derek did post something about Miami in play, so there could be somethig out there. Maybe the CC members from S Florida can update us?

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130718/NEWS01/307180030/Port-Canaveral-eyes-site-ships-future?nclick_check=1

You know with all this talk we are having, I wonder why we have not heard from Nostrodamus with his inside info source?????

You know with all this talk we are having, I wonder why we have not heard from Nostrodamus with his inside info source?????

You probably digested this already, it's a good read for us in the Fire Service.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/9574-a-look-inside-the-splendor-fire-multitude-of-factors-.html

Interesting that you mention this. I recall someone posting here that the ships out of NY/NJ wait for the tide before they depart to make it under the bridge. I thought that was odd as no ship owner would put a vessel anywhere on a long term basis where tide would affect its sailing schedule. What if the tide doesn't change enough.

Interesting that you mention this. I recall someone posting here that the ships out of NY/NJ wait for the tide before they depart to make it under the bridge. I thought that was odd as no ship owner would put a vessel anywhere on a long term basis where tide would affect its sailing schedule. What if the tide doesn't change enough.

That's a false statement for cruises departing out of the NY Harbor. Sailed on various tide cycles on the QM2 and RCCL EXOS and we always departed at around 1630. These are or where the largest ships sailing under the VZ until the Arrival of the Breakaway.

Actually that's the first detailed report I have seen about the Splendor. Interesting read I must say.

Preventive maintenance of the various systems, ie, detection, suppression, mechanical ???

A familiar theme for us land base Guys :).

Preventive maintenance of the various systems, ie, detection, suppression, mechanical ???

A familiar theme for us land base Guys :).

I also gathered another theme, lack of training and familiarization of your equipment and procedures.

Why would a bridge officer continue to reset an activated fire alarm not knowing what the actual condition was?

Edited by Eng23

I personally wouldn't put any hope in Anthem sailing from NJ. I think Oasis 3 has a better chance than that. At this point it sounds like Anthem is all but confirmed as being year round from Southampton (Mediterranean in the winter and northern Europe in the summer) with Independence there in the summers (Mediterranean only). If Oasis 3 were to arrive in NYC though I think it would only be summers for short periods (Not putting a lot of hope in that either as Miami seems pretty solidly in place for her). What I do agree with though is that Royal Caribbean would not do this for just one ship. I expect them to invest more lines in this port though rather than more of Royal Caribbean. I fully believe that we could see a Solstice class return to Bayonne full time. I'm not sure why one hasn't yet since the Reflection seemed to have garnered high prices and sell out sailings for the short time she was there. Maybe the current Celebrity ship could shift to Baltimore. I could also see some of their smaller international likes making a first time arrival to NYC, a rather big marketing point that Miami just can't compare to. That would be like offering an America the choice to take a cruise that starts with an over night in Cork, Ireland or Barcelona, Spain. It's obvious to know which is the more attractive choice. Many including AiDA already make stops in NYC for this reason. I've even seen some of the international branded ships that visit the caribbean doing so as part of longer tours starting and ending in their native country. Royal Caribbean has a new TUI ship that could do a Germany to NYC, NYC to Caribbean roundtrip, and NYC to Germany route. Something similar could also be done with Pulmantur and Spain.

Thanks. Didn't know that Anthem was committed to Europe. Is there an Oasis 3 in the works?

The way I read the announcement RCCL would put up $50 million and Bayonne would put up $70 million. Can anyone confirm that?

The total project is $70 million dollars with Royal putting up at least $50 million. I believe Bayonne and the PA/NYNJ is putting up the rest.

Thanks. Didn't know that Anthem was committed to Europe. Is there an Oasis 3 in the works?

Anthem is not committed to Europe, that is only speculation on our part here on Cruisecritic. As with the Quantum we here on Cruisecritic were making many educated guesses on where it would be homeported and most of the guesses were Bayonne. Yes, there is a 3rd Oasis Class ship that will enter service in 2016. It is being built at a shipyard in France.

• 2 months later...
It doesn't make sense that RCCL would to this for one ship. Possible Anthem will also sail from NYC.? I am hoping Celebrity brings another ship back to Bayonne in addition to Summit summer sailings to Bermuda. There are probably somewhere around 100 million people within driving distance to Bayonne. Most people, including me, detest the hassle of flying, in addition to the cost. My wife and I always check two bags each which costs an extra $220 for each trip. Also, I always fly two days early which adds at least $400 in hotel and food cost. Leaving from Bayonne saves me about $1000. As the ships get larger with more OnBoard activities for days at sea, sailing from Bayonne looks better. Really only one really cold day each way in the Winter.

It would be great to have an Oasis Class ship out of Bayonne. I think they are too big tho to fit under the Verazano-Narrows Bridge....

I don't think that NJ/NY needs 2 brandy-new ships or even 2 enormous ships, but what about this scenario???

Way back when, the Explorer was scheduled for dry-dock in October/November 2014. However, as we all know, the Explorer is moving to Florida when Quantum arrives in Bayonne to do some shorter Caribbean itineraries. Her dry-dock was cancelled for the end of 2014 and she is on the schedule to sail into 2015...

Perhaps, after the Winter/Early Spring season in Florida, Explorer will be rescheduled for her dry-dock (which she will definitely need by then). Around the same time, I would imagine that the new terminal will be done and operations will be running smoothly (based on the assumed terminal construction timetable) and maybe our Explorer will return to Bayonne as a second ship from the area offering a wider variety of itinerary for RCCL from the Northeast for at least the Spring-Summer-Fall seasons when cruising from NJ/NY is in higher demand. Just throwing that out there... I think it would extremely profitable to have 2 different classes of ships sailing from NJ/NY port. NCL did it and they are selling out the Gem and the Breakaway year-round.

I just thought I would throw out my 2-cents to see if anyone else thinks that this might be feasible.

The retractable funnel is designed to allow them to fit.

Oh I didn't realize the Oasis class funnels retracted. Well this is good news indeed for the 3rd or 4th Oasis class ship possibly coming to Bayonne. I've never been on an Oasis class but I'm looking at Allure in 2015 right after I step off Quantum. How nice would it be do not have to fly to Florida. I'd rather use the airfare money to possibly upgrade to a loft suite or Aqua Theater suite.

I don't think that NJ/NY needs 2 brandy-new ships or even 2 enormous ships, but what about this scenario???

Way back when, the Explorer was scheduled for dry-dock in October/November 2014. However, as we all know, the Explorer is moving to Florida when Quantum arrives in Bayonne to do some shorter Caribbean itineraries. Her dry-dock was cancelled for the end of 2014 and she is on the schedule to sail into 2015...

Perhaps, after the Winter/Early Spring season in Florida, Explorer will be rescheduled for her dry-dock (which she will definitely need by then). Around the same time, I would imagine that the new terminal will be done and operations will be running smoothly (based on the assumed terminal construction timetable) and maybe our Explorer will return to Bayonne as a second ship from the area offering a wider variety of itinerary for RCCL from the Northeast for at least the Spring-Summer-Fall seasons when cruising from NJ/NY is in higher demand. Just throwing that out there... I think it would extremely profitable to have 2 different classes of ships sailing from NJ/NY port. NCL did it and they are selling out the Gem and the Breakaway year-round.

I just thought I would throw out my 2-cents to see if anyone else thinks that this might be feasible.

That could very well happen but I would change one thing. Explorer would replace another ship that comes to Bayonne. Royal Caribbean has received a lot of negativity for keeping Explorer up here for too long and I'm sure they've seen an earning drop as people's value of her dipped. With a new ship in port bringing her back would lower her value even farther. A different ship, even of the same class, would offer something new in terms of shows and add some extra value to it. That's why I'm hoping Royal Caribbean has learned their lesson and swaps Quantum and Anthem or Quantum and Quantum III in about 3 years when she starts feeling repetitive and loses her attractiveness.

I think that is definitely feasible although I think the Explorer may not be such a great choice. Perhaps one of the freedom class ships would work out well or even one of the Solstice class ships from Celebrity.:)

I would agree that it would be nice for them to switch up the ships every so often. I have done Explorer twice out of NJ and I can't wait for Quantum just to be on a new ship. I haven't booked anything until Quantum because I hate flying and I just have no desire to pay all that money to do Explorer again. I would have considered it if it had actually been renovated but since that didn't happen I'll be waiting.

It would be great to have an Oasis Class ship out of Bayonne. I think they are too big tho to fit under the Verazano-Narrows Bridge....

We just got the newest RCI ship, let's enjoy her before we start wishing for something else. Some people are never happy.