Byow, byos, byob

coldflame

Although I have sailed three times on the Disney Dream, I had never considered bringing our own water bottles, snacks and booze -- until now. I'm aware you aren't allowed to bring those things on you as you board the ship, but, is that allowed to put in your checked bags? Can we bring a bottle of wine? maybe a gallon of spring water? How about pretzels, crackers and other snacks for our kids? Anyone had a good/bad experience with this?

TIA.

You can bring a whole carry-on full of wine (or any alcohol) if you want. They ask that you bring it in your carry-on because there have been instances when bottles in checked bags have broken and ruined not only that passenger's bag but those around it.

Water on board is fine to drink but if you want to bring a case of bottled water you can.

Packaged snacks are fine.

Although I have sailed three times on the Disney Dream, I had never considered bringing our own water bottles, snacks and booze -- until now. I'm aware you aren't allowed to bring those things on you as you board the ship, but, is that allowed to put in your checked bags? Can we bring a bottle of wine? maybe a gallon of spring water? How about pretzels, crackers and other snacks for our kids? Anyone had a good/bad experience with this?

TIA.

*Never* put in checked luggage they smash the bags around and it will break and damage either your or someone else s luggage and clothes.

There is little need to bring bottles of water bar for ports of call.

Snacks there is little reason to bring snacks as there is so much food on the ship.

You can bring pre-packaged food onboard, so if you want to bring pretzels, crackers, etc., you can bring them with you. While there is a lot of food onboard, sometimes you (or your kids) want something salty / crunchy and that's a little harder to find that something sweet or savory (sure, you can buy the pretzels onboard in the gift shop if they have them). We brought similar snacks with us when we did the Med because my kids wanted them for port days when we were out all day.

We have found that on most of our DCL-sponsored excursions, water bottles have been provided. Or else we just pick one up in port for use that day.

You can bring pre-packaged food onboard, so if you want to bring pretzels, crackers, etc., you can bring them with you. While there is a lot of food onboard, sometimes you (or your kids) want something salty / crunchy and that's a little harder to find that something sweet or savory (sure, you can buy the pretzels onboard in the gift shop if they have them). We brought similar snacks with us when we did the Med because my kids wanted them for port days when we were out all day.

We have found that on most of our DCL-sponsored excursions, water bottles have been provided. Or else we just pick one up in port for use that day.

In concierge they were giving us plenty of water bottles all the time for trips and on ship.

*Never* put in checked luggage they smash the bags around and it will break and damage either your or someone else s luggage and clothes.

Noted. We'll use our carry on, if need be.

There is little need to bring bottles of water bar for ports of call.

I disagree. We're not juice/soda drinkers and drink lots of water and the only places you can get water from in the off-hours/after hours are the soda fountains in all the way up deck 11 and maybe in the midship bar in deck 3, if they are open. But if you wake up thirsty in the middle of the night your choice is taking a chance with bathroom sink water our haul a** to the deck 11. So bringing water bottles make a lot of sense, at least to us.

Snacks there is little reason to bring snacks as there is so much food on the ship.

Disagree as well. Some times kids want to chew on something that isn't ice cream or Flo's food. Many times they are chilling in the stateroom watching a movie and want something to much on. Same goes for ports of call, specially our youngest who likes to much on something light every few hours. If I'm asking is because it makes sense to us.

This is exactly our case. Our last trip on the Dream we were sorely missing snacks and didn't want to pay up $5 for a small bag of Mickey pretzels. I'll make sure we're stocked this time around :)

I disagree. We're not juice/soda drinkers and drink lots of water and the only places you can get water from in the off-hours/after hours are the soda fountains in all the way up deck 11 and maybe in the midship bar in deck 3, if they are open. But if you wake up thirsty in the middle of the night your choice is taking a chance with bathroom sink water our haul a** to the deck 11. So bringing water bottles make a lot of sense, at least to us.

See your point but we are normally deck 8 of Magic and Wonder it doesn't take too long to get to the soda station for water and we keep some in the fridge over night. Water is given on a lot of DCL tours. We keep the bottles and re use.

Disagree as well. Some times kids want to chew on something that isn't ice cream or Flo's food. Many times they are chilling in the stateroom watching a movie and want something to much on. Same goes for ports of call, specially our youngest who likes to much on something light every few hours. If I'm asking is because it makes sense to us.

Understand, and each to their preference, but with sooo much food on ship there is always something to eat!! IMHO no need to bring anything more.

You make it sound like the "bathroom sink water" is bad. It's the same water they use to make the ice in your drinks!! :rolleyes:

Isn't the water in the sinks/showers non-potable?

I know the water from the drink stations, bars, and the ice are all potable, but for some reason I always thought the sinks/showers were not.

Isn't the water in the sinks/showers non-potable?

I know the water from the drink stations, bars, and the ice are all potable, but for some reason I always thought the sinks/showers were not.

The sink should be potable because you brush your teeth with it.

OP, I can't believe you have sailed three times and haven't stocked your own room! That's one of the benefits that distinguishes DCL from the other police your bag guys. We made our own margaritas, took our own wine around the ship with us (by glass, not by bottle) and it was great! We will be doing so again in May for sure. Bring waters or juice or any beverage you can bring on your person that can fit thru a scanner at security and isn't a big cooler. (I had a soft side bag we had as a shoulder bag and brought tequila, lime squirt juice lime thingies (can't bring fruit on), brought rum, wine bottles etc and had plenty for our cruise. Room steward brought ice. We had our own sail away party as a family in our veranda. Bought one or two drinks on the ship. Enjoyed mixing our own. (Less sugar in margaritas since we used the lime juice and not mixes.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

can somebody refresh my memory as to policy on bottles of booze bought in Nassau, i.e. does the ship staff hold them?

Keisha, same policy as above..they scan your bags and you take them with you. We tend to save our island goodies for home but either way, they DO NOT confiscate any booze from your trip. I think there may be a policy checking back into immigration regarding opened containers possibly getting tossed, but someone else may know more about that, so just keep that in mind. (That would be customs as opposed to Disney.)

Anyway we like Ricardo and Tortuga. Tortuga has yummy rum cakes that keep really well so we stocked up there too.

Welcome to Disney cruising! As one CM told us after the parking fees went from cash only (we didn't have cash) to credit card the next year, "We are Disney, we take ALL your money." (A funny pun.) But yes, they are more "honest" about it. They take all your money up front then they don't worry about selling $9 drinks (they are there if you want them.) CCL says "come have a cheap cruise" and then tries to get u for every dime they have and will confiscate your stuff....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

You make it sound like the "bathroom sink water" is bad. It's the same water they use to make the ice in your drinks!! :rolleyes:

I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tap water, its excellent on all Disney vessels. In fact it tastes better then most bottled water and often is made the same way.

We usually bring a 6 packs of water and refill them for excursions and around the ship.

AKK

Archived