If you ran RCI...

As the head honcho, I would look at the shore excursions and see what people are booking. I would definitely bring back golf pro's on ship, and have them lead golfers to courses and when at sea put on clinic's and group discussions. It seems golfers pay the most, and the company would profit the most.

As the head honcho, I would look at the shore excursions and see what people are booking. I would definitely bring back golf pro's on ship, and have them lead golfers to courses and when at sea put on clinic's and group discussions. It seems golfers pay the most, and the company would profit the most.

I bet there's a fair number of people that would pay a hundred bucks to have someone coach them on their swing in front of a simulator for an hour, too. There's some revenue that way...

If I were the CEO of this Cruise Line/Hotel on the ocean:

Would change the rate it charges per cabin;

Hotels do not charge for two ppl in a room, why should the ship. I know they have to cover the cost some where else.

Have the MDR put out quality food like specialty restraunts with a very nice dress code and not a sign they do not enforce;

Raise cost for top quality meats not the so called steaks they serve in MDR.

Ensure that all bars are operational till midnight or longer depending on the crowd; pool bars especially, pure profit, here is where they make $$. I am not a drinker.

Put the crew on salary and not depend on tips; they are not street ppl that beg for a few pennies on the street, tips should be earned by the quality of their preformance.

As the CEO inspect some of the issues or complaints put out there by guests and act accordingly to make sure your stay with the cruise line is safe and enjoyable.

There is more but I will leave it there. Enjoy your cruising where ever it takes you.

1.Bring back the wine sommeliers to boast wine sales.

2. Install actual "washy washy" (sinks) with soap around the ship, along with the hand sanitizer stations.

3. Have more adults only areas.

4. Enforce dress code in the MDR. If you don't want to dress up then go to the buffet.

5. Change disembarkation day - take notes from NCL. They allow you to stay in your stateroom, swim, use the gym facilities etc. until your luggage # is called and you disembark. So much nicer than being cooped up in a lounge with a bunch of people!

...What would you do?

If you suddenly were at the helm of this wonderful company, and you had the power to make changes with a simple declaration, what would you do?

Here are some of the things I would start with:

-Espresso and Cappuccino included for no charge in the MDR.

-Restore the items that seem to have been quietly dialed back or eliminated in recent years (i.e. chocolates on the pillows, towel animals every night). It's not so much the I care about these things (am fine without them), but their absence strikes a tone of cutbacks.

-Expand the premium beverage packages to be more in line with those on Celebrity (i.e. include soda, bottles water, fresh juice. And allow a credit towards drinks above the minimum).

-Allow the purchase and consumption of alcohol within staterooms. Let guests purchase bottles from RCI for use in the room. I laugh every time I walk into my suite and see a bar, even stocked with glasses, but I can't have any booze!

-Fire whomever has been running the website and start from scratch!

-Expand port stays. Seek to be in port as long as possible on any given day.

-And... to pay for these immediate improvements: An across-the-board price INCREASE! Yep, I wouldn't hide it or make an excuse. I'd come out and say, "yes, the prices are going up a bit. But we strongly believe that this will allow us to offer you the wonderful experience you demand". And be able to show it with the above changes.

So, what would you do?

:cool:My things have all been mentioned, BUT here they are: Raise the price of a cruise $20 per day per person. This would enable them to serve the quality food in MDR that they use to serve there, and now only serve in speciality restaurants. Allow passengers to purchase hard alcohol for consumption in cabins. Allow passengers to bring two bottles of wine on board. Have a dress code, and enforce it. NO SHORTS IN MDR AT DINNER. More live bands on pool deck. Big Screen on pool deck showing Jimmy Buffet, Beach Boys etc concerts for sailaway. Only Carnival cruise played and showed BB's for sailaway from Miami. Loved it and set mood. Crack down on chair hogs. Give a class on elevator courtesy. Them damn old folks and kids charge in before you can get off (I'm almost 67) so I can say that:cool:No problems with anything else. Still love RCCL:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Like!

Immediately remove those big 50 foot TV monstrosities. Why RCI installed those on the pool decks is a mystery to me. I have yet to be on a ship that had them where it didn't ruin the ambiance of the pool area.

...What would you do?

If you suddenly were at the helm of this wonderful company, and you had the power to make changes with a simple declaration, what would you do?

1. Add / modify itineraries ....do more 10/4 night rotations, add 3/4 day rotations from other debarkation ports, add back Panama Canal transits on newer ships, add more Tahiti runs, give a ship back to California, keep a ship year around in either Gslveston or New Orleans (or both), do more Key West stops, use Charlestin, SC as a port stop rather than Port Canaveral (if fols want to visit Port Canaversl they probably would sail from there)

2. Add additional ports to OA and AL itineraries by investing in piers on other islands (like they invested in Falmouth)

3. For ships other than OA and AL (because they already have a ton of upscale dining), offer a "premium dining package" in the MDR where you can have specialty restaurant quality food but still have traditional dining with table mates. You would have to prebook (prepay)the up charge.

4. Agree with another poster, bring back sommelier. I think they would provide better wine service and sell more! Also, bring back the after dinner drinks. (I know they are still around but with limited servers.)

Immediately remove those big 50 foot TV monstrosities. Why RCI installed those on the pool decks is a mystery to me. I have yet to be on a ship that had them where it didn't ruin the ambiance of the pool area.

Ambiance of the pool area? I find that place to be the most crowded and chaotic place on board most of the time! LOL!

I dont remember the giant TV on Freedom being obtrusive at all :confused:

Getting back to the question at hand though, I wouldnt change a whole lot. Im happy with RCI as a whole.

Food is a very important part of my cruising experience and I enjoy the food on board. I think what most people here fail to realize that there just is no way to prepare food in mass quantities for thousands of people like they do in the specialty dining places. Back in the "good ol days" I do believe ships were much smaller and carried many less people didnt they? :confused:

It WOULD be nice to have a little better steak option in the MDR without having to pay for it though. JMO.

I also wouldnt mind RCI having a Bon Voyage department like Carnival does that allows their passengers to be adults and pre order bottles of wine, liquor and beer for their cabin.

Find a company to make clothes irons, hair irons, and blow dryers that really work provided by the ship. Ones especially made so the ship doesn't have to worry about fires. It amazes me how we can not have travel irons, or hair irons but people are allowed to have cigarettes. Is it based on bottom line or safety?

:confused:

I would not only maintain, but delineate the different classes.

You constantly read comments on these boards from people who LOVE the smaller ships. They don't care about all the bells and whistles and prefer a smaller, more intimate experience which focuses on ocean views, rather than inside areas.

Then again, there are PLENTY of fans of the mega ships, that seek to provide a resort experience at sea, with a Boardwalk, amusement rides, Broadway shows, etc.

Instead of upgrading the smaller ships to make them more like the bigger ships, I'd advertise that my cruise line provided different nitch offerings.

When Radiance Class ships went to dry dock, I'd upgrade them only with features that coordinate with the RADIANCE theme. (Light, windows, outdoor spaces.)

When Oasis Class ships were in need up a dry-dock, I'd play up those features. (Boardwalk, Central Park, interior spaces.)

The move to add Oasis (and perhaps soon to be Quantum) features to ALL their ships is ill-advised in my opinion. Not everyone wants to cruise with Shrek, zip-line on the ship or have a Barbie experience.)

Why not be the cruise line that appeals to different types of passengers and offers each a class of ship that meets their preferences...and MARKET themselves as such? One ship doesn't fit all. And our preferences sometimes change over time. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to stay loyal to one line, while customizing the experience to suit our specific taste?

Haven't they done this by having the Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara brands?

I would not only maintain, but delineate the different classes.

You constantly read comments on these boards from people who LOVE the smaller ships. They don't care about all the bells and whistles and prefer a smaller, more intimate experience which focuses on ocean views, rather than inside areas.

Why not be the cruise line that appeals to different types of passengers and offers each a class of ship that meets their preferences...and MARKET themselves as such? One ship doesn't fit all. And our preferences sometimes change over time. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to stay loyal to one line, while customizing the experience to suit our specific taste?

We had the large screen on the Splendour last month and during the day they showed music videos when the band wasn't playing and the volume was not loud at all. In the evening, they showed a movie. Other than the Oasis and Allure that has the two large screens in the Aqua Theater, this was my first experience with one on the smaller ships and it wasn't an issue.

Haven't they done this by having the Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara brands?

Not really.

I cruise on Royal Caribbean because, for me, it's the right mix of classy sophistication and cheesy fun. I don't want and can't afford the intimate high-luxury lines. On the other hand, I prefer something smaller and more intimate than the Oasis class ships. In addition, my kids are grown and I want a more adult experience - no Shrek or Barbie please. However, I still like cheesy FUN and LOVE things like the 70s party, the Quest, the Belly Flop contest, Sexy Legs. I'll REALLY miss those things if I were to switch to another line - for example, Celebrity or Princess.

For now, there are still smaller Royal Caribbean ships out there. I'm happy with anything up to and including Voyager Class, with Radiance being my favorite to date. (I found Freedom a little too large and boisterous for my taste, although I had a GREAT time on Freedom. MEGA-size is just not my preference.)

Eventually, I see Royal phasing out the smaller ships and building ONLY the mega ships. They seem to be going down a "bigger-is-better" path.

I think the different lines you mentioned, which fall under the RCI umbrella, each appeal to a different type of cruiser. I like the Royal Caribbean VIBE, but I like it better on a somewhat smaller ship. Once they start taking those ships out of service, I'll probably need to look elsewhere.

I get that they make more money on a ship that carries more passengers. It spreads out the cost. But if they become exclusively a mega-ship company, they will lose a lot of people like me. And I know there ARE a lot of people like me. I read their comments here all the time.

If I were CEO, I'd want to KEEP several classes of ships that offer significant differences, to appeal to a WIDE variety of cruise passengers. I think the move to homogenize the fleet, cramming as many "Oasis features" onto every ship as they can fit, is not the way to go.

If I were the CEO of this Cruise Line/Hotel on the ocean:

Would change the rate it charges per cabin;

Hotels do not charge for two ppl in a room, why should the ship. I know they have to cover the cost some where else.

Have the MDR put out quality food like specialty restraunts with a very nice dress code and not a sign they do not enforce;

Raise cost for top quality meats not the so called steaks they serve in MDR.

Ensure that all bars are operational till midnight or longer depending on the crowd; pool bars especially, pure profit, here is where they make $$. I am not a drinker.

Put the crew on salary and not depend on tips; they are not street ppl that beg for a few pennies on the street, tips should be earned by the quality of their preformance.

As the CEO inspect some of the issues or complaints put out there by guests and act accordingly to make sure your stay with the cruise line is safe and enjoyable.

There is more but I will leave it there. Enjoy your cruising where ever it takes you.

I think they charge per person instead of per room because the food. They would soon run at a loss on the rooms with more guests in them.

Archived