Authentic French restaurant for lunch, Quebec

This will be our 3rd time in Quebec. We have done ll tourist attractions, and want to have a leisurely lunch with authentic French wine,cheese and breads. Anyone with a recommendation?

We will be there in Sept.

maryann,

What is the difference? I like to eat "local" so I guess we could try Quebecois!

In mind, is a plate of Quebec cheese, pea soup and French bread washed down with a good wine.

There are many many restaurants in the city that would fit your needs. Here are a few:

In the lower town on Rue du Petit-Champlain, Le Cochon Dingue and Le Lapin Sauté.

In the upper town, le Pub D'Orsay, and Aux Anciens Canadiens. The latter is in a house dating from 1675, and while it is often described as a tourist trap (I disagree) and is overpriced in the evenings, lunch there is good value and the lunch menu is good until 5:45 PM.

I'm sure others will have further suggestions. It's hard to go wrong.

I was going to suggest Aux Anciens Canadiens and Le Lapin Saute also.

There are some similarities between Quebecois cuisine and French cuisine but there are many specialties in Quebec and pea soup and local cheeses are good examples of this.

Le Lapin Saute features rabbit (lapin) done an amazing number of ways. Saute is a play on words; saute it means jumps or leaps, but with an accent on the final e it means sauteed (or fried).

If you overnight in Quebec city, you could go onto l'ile D'orleans ( a short drive from Quebec city). There is a restaurant called Les Ancetres ( you can google it). They have a really local and traditionnal cuisine. The bread and maple sugar dessert is quite someting.... They open at five. The drive there and back will give you incredible views of Quebec city, but it does take time and not available ( as far as I know) for lunch. If you go to the island during day time, you can buy all kind of local food products and organise a really delicious lunch and bring back some onboard. Bon appetit !

Did I read or hear once that all restaurants must display their menus? When we were there, many were written on chalkboards, easily accessible. That should help with your choice. :)

Sounds amazing. We were there some years ago at the end of September and the foliage was gorgeous.

They don't have to...it's just good business sense if you want to bring in impulse diners...there are many restaurants in Old Quebec City.

The chalkboards usually advertise the lunch or dinner specials (that may not evn appear on the regular menu).

:)

Archived