Wheelchair/disable assistance with Thomson Airways

Someone on here was asking about wheelchair assistance, I'm sorry but I have forgotten who it was, but here goes.

When we arrived at our local airport there was some wheelchairs in the entrance which I took and put mum in and then we queued for the check in desk. At check in we were asked if mum wanted the lift into the airplane for could walk up steps, she opted for the lift. When we approached security, we were taken aside and went through a separate security point and directed to Departures and put on one side with other disabled persons. Disabled passengers can only take one person with them, the rest of the family had to follow the normal route. All disabled person were taken ( family member had to push) to the lift and then had to walk on the plane, by the way, we all had extra leg room! Whilst on plane the cabin crew asked if we wanted lift and wheelchair in Palma and we said "yes". We waited till plane was empty and then the lift arrived, we walked onto the lift and were sat in chair provided, NOTE if you have your own wheelchair in the Hold you need to make this clear to Spanish staff, and their English is not good, so maybe a good Idea to write in Spainish on a piece of paper before you leave UK and hand to them, as one family had this prob when we reached Palma and an argument ensued. Anyway, we were given to the airport entrance (rest of family when in the bus) and a wheelchair and an assistant was waiting for us, and he pushed mum to the luggage point and then to the coach. On coming home from Palma your Rep should send you to a different desk ours was No 36 and 37 and then hand the paperwork to the Disabled Assistance desk on your left (Disable assist wear yellow poloshirts) and they wheel you through security and into Departures. Hope this is helpful, any questions, let me know. Happy to answer any. Fab cruise on the Dream.:)

Hi Merryman,

"All disabled person were taken ( family member had to push) to the lift and then had to walk on the plane, by the way, we all had extra leg room!"

Unless I`m reading this wrong was under the impression disabled are not permitted to sit in extra leg room seats?

Also,at Palma,those using disabled facilities eg check in are taken an alternative route to departures which bypasses duty free.

not allowed to sit by the emergency exit doors (children neither must be over 18 and able bodied) 1st row of seats (behind the front bulkhead) have extra legroom and are saved for reduced mobility/late arriving families if they are still free by then

Hi Merryman,

"All disabled person were taken ( family member had to push) to the lift and then had to walk on the plane, by the way, we all had extra leg room!"

Unless I`m reading this wrong was under the impression disabled are not permitted to sit in extra leg room seats?

Also,at Palma,those using disabled facilities eg check in are taken an alternative route to departures which bypasses duty free.

We were sat right at the front of the plane. Yes by passed Duty Free in Palma too which was a bummer. Hope you enjoyed the cruise. :)

not allowed to sit by the emergency exit doors (children neither must be over 18 and able bodied)

That I did know

1st row of seats (behind the front bulkhead) have extra legroom and are saved for reduced mobility/late arriving families if they are still free by then

Always thought these were pre bookable/pay seats

I did Merryman,thanks

Always thought these were pre bookable/pay seats

nope...never able to book a seat in the first row...in fact usually the next 2/3 rows cannot be selected/pre booked either (personally I believe them to be held for late ariving families/groups....who dont pay to select a seat btw)

want to get a seat in the first 4 rows with your grandma/kids....just turn up late at checkin:(

Hi,Agree with Merrymen, quite accurate of what the procedures are,have done about 3 flights with Thomsons airways and my wife has to use a wheelchair, each time we have been given seats in the first one or two rows.

Archived