Sorry ! Tipping Query....

I still don't understand why some people feel the need to stick their nose into the employee's wage agreement with the cruise line.

If you want to protest the so called "meager wage of $50" that some profess to know as gospel, then show your disdain by not cruising and supporting this travesty. Don't come before us berating us to supply the missing wage amount that you feel we should be responsible for.

I'm sure the majority of us want to, and do, tip to show our appreciation for the personal service rendered.

Amen to that. There are those who will justify being cheap by blaming the cruise line, the weather, the airfare, the specialty restaurants, on and on, cheapskates and end of cruise "stiffers" of the crew always have a "reasonable" explanation for NOT tipping the crew....."Pay the crew and I'll start tipping"...really! how sad....:rolleyes:

Amen to that. There are those who will justify being cheap by blaming the cruise line, the weather, the airfare, the specialty restaurants, on and on, cheapskates and end of cruise "stiffers" of the crew always have a "reasonable" explanation for NOT tipping the crew....."Pay the crew and I'll start tipping"...really! how sad....:rolleyes:

Just a different culture. Paying people and tipping at the end is what happens in the UK and Europe. Paying in advance for service is something I find strange, just as you find everyone cheap or stiffs who don't. I'm also blessed with not thinking that the people who are serving me are going to spit in my drink if I tip at the end, something I find incredibly degrading to service staff. when I go to America I do it the American way, of course I do. My family is very multicultural - British, American and Indian. We all have different ways of doing things but we certainly don't call each other names for doing things differently.

Just a different culture. Paying people and tipping at the end is what happens in the UK and Europe. Paying in advance for service is something I find strange, just as you find everyone cheap or stiffs who don't. I'm also blessed with not thinking that the people who are serving me are going to spit in my drink if I tip at the end, something I find incredibly degrading to service staff. when I go to America I do it the American way, of course I do. My family is very multicultural - British, American and Indian. We all have different ways of doing things but we certainly don't call each other names for doing things differently.
Never said a word about how or when anyone pays, only pointed out the "excuses" some people use to NOT tip. So to use the "everyone" in your quote is way off base and flat out wrong. And sorry but had to giggle when you brought up anyone spitting in your drink, not sure about the blessed part but have never thought that ever, thank goodness!:rolleyes:...Enjoy your cruises!

Never said a word about how or when anyone pays, only pointed out the "excuses" some people use to NOT tip. So to use the "everyone" in your quote is way off base and flat out wrong. And sorry but had to giggle when you brought up anyone spitting in your drink, not sure about the blessed part but have never thought that ever, thank goodness!:rolleyes:...Enjoy your cruises!

Someone said (not sure if its this thread now) that they paid well in advance and if they didn't the wait staff may spit in your drink :eek: But there are lots of people who think paying up front may get them better service, I think you get better service if you pay at the end.

looking forward to Indy next month, can't wait. X

First off, I'm a novice, having just returned from my first cruise.

Took the advice from fellow passengers of removing the statutory $12 per day tips from my account, reasoning (I thought rationally) that as our party were benefitting differently from individual staff we would assign the tips accordingly.

Having now read through various threads, it seems that what I've effectively done is penalise, not reward the staff as the "tips" actually comprise the bulk of their "wages"

I'm scratching my head here why a company like Royal Caribbean can't build into the holiday price the appropriate overhead to cover their staff costs, so good service (which I most certainly received) can be rewarded with additional tips from their guests.

Am I missing something here? As from the threads I've read it seems as if the guests are effectively responsible for paying the wages of the service staff.

Would really appreciate someone to post an honest reply to this.

Thanks

Cruise prices are very competitive. If one cruise line increased their prices to include tips they would be at a disadvantage since most people don't think of tips when they book and some people count on not tipping at all. We have been cruising since 1996 and now pay less on most cruises for a balcony cabin than we did for an ocean view in 1996. We always have the tips added to our account and always tip the waitstaff and room attendants additionally on the last day. Imagine tipping a waiter in a land restaurant $9 for serving you 3 meals a day or even one five course dinner at a ice restaurant and you will see that the $12 oer day is really an absolute minimum!

Cruise prices are very competitive. If one cruise line increased their prices to include tips they would be at a disadvantage since most people don't think of tips when they book and some people count on not tipping at all. We have been cruising since 1996 and now pay less on most cruises for a balcony cabin than we did for an ocean view in 1996. We always have the tips added to our account and always tip the waitstaff and room attendants additionally on the last day. Imagine tipping a waiter in a land restaurant $9 for serving you 3 meals a day or even one five course dinner at a ice restaurant and you will see that the $12 oer day is really an absolute minimum!
Couldn't have expressed myself any more eloquently, my sentiments and procedure to a tee. ( Prepaid always, then extra tip on the last night)...K.O.:)

I always pre-pay. And I tend to be a generous tipper on land. But I am pretty much done with "tipping extra". Frankly, the cruise line (and the incessant discussions about it here) have pretty much broken me. I don't want to spend a second thinking about the service I receive. I just want to enjoy it, and the rest of my vacation. As such, if they are going to let me pre-pay, I will do so, and be done with it.

The only exception is adding some tips at the bars and specialty restaurants for good service (occasionally at the bar, always at the restaurants). But I'm done with caring about how much the staff gets. If they should get more, increase my prepaid tips. Otherwise, I don't want to hear about it.

I always pre-pay. And I tend to be a generous tipper on land. But I am pretty much done with "tipping extra". Frankly, the cruise line (and the incessant discussions about it here) have pretty much broken me. I don't want to spend a second thinking about the service I receive. I just want to enjoy it, and the rest of my vacation. As such, if they are going to let me pre-pay, I will do so, and be done with it.

The only exception is adding some tips at the bars and specialty restaurants for good service (occasionally at the bar, always at the restaurants). But I'm done with caring about how much the staff gets. If they should get more, increase my prepaid tips. Otherwise, I don't want to hear about it.

Bad attitude! Staff on cruise ships are not entitled to the same consideration as staff on land? The prepay was basically adopted to make sure that everyone tipped. Many waiters have told us stories of passengers who did not show up in the main DR on the last night of the cruise to avoid tipping. Also, most people prefer having tips added to their account rather than dealing with enveloped on the last night. As I said in my last post, the tips added to our accounts are really miniscule compared to what you would tip at a hotel or resort for 3 meals a day or even just for dinner.

Bad attitude! Staff on cruise ships are not entitled to the same consideration as staff on land? The prepay was basically adopted to make sure that everyone tipped. Many waiters have told us stories of passengers who did not show up in the main DR on the last night of the cruise to avoid tipping. Also, most people prefer having tips added to their account rather than dealing with enveloped on the last night. As I said in my last post, the tips added to our accounts are really miniscule compared to what you would tip at a hotel or resort for 3 meals a day or even just for dinner.

It's not a bad attitude. It's accepting what the cruise line has established. Once they said they would automatically add gratuities (or even have them prepaid), I washed my hands of it. They have declared what the acceptable amount is, great! If they want me to tip more, just charge me more and I'll do it. But, if they have legislated a said amount, I'm going to enjoy the fact that I don't need to waste time thinking about it.

Here's how I put it in a tipping thread a few months ago. Maybe this sums it up a little better:

"When it comes to tipping on cruises, I've been broken. I used to care, and I used to tip generously, usually above the standard. Generally that is what I do on land, and I figure why do it any different on cruises. But the fact that it has just become this constant issue has worn me out. So I officially no longer care. I pre-pay the tips, or have them put on my account, or whatever the option is that involves absolutely NO effort on my part, and I'm done with it. I have decided wasting any more of my mental energy on this issue is pointless. The cruise line has told me what is expected, okay, I'll do that. End of story."

Even though we have our tips added to our account, still appreciate the envelopes in the stateroom.

We often tip extra to the people included in the "normal" tips and use the envelopes. We just hand it to them - usually always try to catch our room steward to say goodbye anyway. Same thing in the dining room - it's nice to shake hands/hug and say goodbye.

The envelopes, especially plain ones, are very handy for diamond lounge bartenders and anyone that you might want to tip who are not part of the regular tip program - e.g. Adventure Ocean personnel, Diamond lounge, Concierge lounge, etc. Usually write a note and give them the envelope.

It's not a bad attitude. It's accepting what the cruise line has established. Once they said they would automatically add gratuities (or even have them prepaid), I washed my hands of it. They have declared what the acceptable amount is, great! If they want me to tip more, just charge me more and I'll do it. But, if they have legislated a said amount, I'm going to enjoy the fact that I don't need to waste time thinking about it.

Automatic gratuities are the minimum amount. If you are looking for excuses not to tip more, then you have it. Sounds like tipping ruins your entire cruise experience.

True, but you have also paid $$$ per day in cruise fare to begin with.

Unless you are booking a suite, you would have a hard time getting a hotel room for the price of most cruises. No food, no entertainment, no travel from port to port, etc.

Automatic gratuities are the minimum amount. If you are looking for excuses not to tip more, then you have it. Sounds like tipping ruins your entire cruise experience.

Nope, sorry. Doesn't work that way. They decided I wasn't capable of making my own decision about tipping and therefore included it. As such, I happily will pay WHATEVER they ask me to. And I in turn am happy to not have to think about it again.

Nope, sorry. Doesn't work that way. They decided I wasn't capable of making my own decision about tipping and therefore included it. As such, I happily will pay WHATEVER they ask me to. And I in turn am happy to not have to think about it again.

The amount added each day is exactly equal to what used to be the suggested standard so your argument holds no water. Just a way to get the tip stiffers to pay up.

Minimum amount ? No. surely the minimum amount is 0?

I'm afraid I agree with macruisefan. Its a sad day when cruise lines get to dictate how much we tip. tipping is such a personal thing in my opinion and something that should be given AFTER good service, not in advance of good service.

Macruisefan is correct, I HAD to pay up front tips when I booked, therefore I've paid my tips, Q.E.D I don't need to pay anymore, you don't get on the boat and they have a whip round for fuel..

Lets be clear if you've paid up front for tips, which the cruise line instituted, then your done. I you haven't paid up front you need to tip, simple as..

The amount added each day is exactly equal to what used to be the suggested standard so your argument holds no water. Just a way to get the tip stiffers to pay up.

Of course it holds water. When I was "suggested" to give a certain amount, I was still left to fill the envelopes, and therefore take the time to think about it, and more often than not, give a little more (if for no other reason than I didn't have exact change!). But once they gave me the "option" of prepaying, or automatically paying, I happily accepted it thinking "Great! One less thing to think about!".

To try and criticize someone for happily paying WHATEVER RCI opts to charge is a bit absurd.

Macruisefan is correct, I HAD to pay up front tips when I booked, therefore I've paid my tips, Q.E.D I don't need to pay anymore, you don't get on the boat and they have a whip round for fuel..

Lets be clear if you've paid up front for tips, which the cruise line instituted, then your done. I you haven't paid up front you need to tip, simple as..

However, if someone WANTS to tip more, I certainly have no problem with that. But like I said, they have broken me. All this nonsense has gotten me to the point I just can't care. I'll pay the automatic tips and wash my hands of it.

First off, I'm a novice, having just returned from my first cruise.

Took the advice from fellow passengers of removing the statutory $12 per day tips from my account, reasoning (I thought rationally) that as our party were benefitting differently from individual staff we would assign the tips accordingly.

Having now read through various threads, it seems that what I've effectively done is penalise, not reward the staff as the "tips" actually comprise the bulk of their "wages"

I'm scratching my head here why a company like Royal Caribbean can't build into the holiday price the appropriate overhead to cover their staff costs, so good service (which I most certainly received) can be rewarded with additional tips from their guests.

Am I missing something here? As from the threads I've read it seems as if the guests are effectively responsible for paying the wages of the service staff.

Would really appreciate someone to post an honest reply to this.

Thanks

Just wondering, how did you plan on assigning the tips accordingly?

It appears that RCCL and Celebrity, and obviously Cunard let you use a US TA whilst Princess do not. Seems a bit odd as Cunard and Princess are both Carnival brands (I think). Will remember that next time I sail RCCL and then I will get the details of a US from my friend in Florida. Thanks for the heads up on this :)

My list of cruises booked in the US includes several Princess cruises, recently as well.

The fact is the price is higher.They raise the gratuities on us,and they continue to pay the staff fifty dollars a month.Maybe they should pay staff more.I don't like the forced gratuities,and may remove them on my January cruise. :mad:

Hence, clearly not forced.

I see nothing wrong with that. I agree the cruise line has put out there what they feel is a fair amount. I'm sure many people feel the same as you.

Archived