Just realised I don't understand freestyle..

HawaiiUK

There will be 3 of us on the Norwegian Star.

Ok, so I understand the concept that we choose to eat when we like and where we like, but when we turn up at the MDR, then what?

Are we likely to get a table on our own, or do they add us to a larger table. If so, is it likely the people already there will be half-way through their dinner? Or are you 'grouped' whilst you wait, and then 6 (or however many) are then allocated a table.

I love having these kinds of "problems" to 'worry about'! :)

Thanks!

We have never had a problem being seated unless it was a popular menu item like lobster night. I have never been seated with anyone that wasn't in our group so I cannot comment on that. Sometimes it can be fun to be seated with others. We were chosen to dine with one of the officers one night and it was nice to talk with others and to get some great ideas and advice about ports, cruising, tour guides, etc. but I don't think you will have a problem with seating, they won't seat you with someone halfway through dinner!! That would define tilt be awkward!!! LOL. Do t forget, they do this every day hundreds of times a day, trust me, they know what they are doing and do a great job!!! Have a great cruise!!!!

There will be 3 of us on the Norwegian Star.

Ok, so I understand the concept that we choose to eat when we like and where we like, but when we turn up at the MDR, then what?

Are we likely to get a table on our own, or do they add us to a larger table. If so, is it likely the people already there will be half-way through their dinner? Or are you 'grouped' whilst you wait, and then 6 (or however many) are then allocated a table.

I love having these kinds of "problems" to 'worry about'! :)

Thanks!

You get your own table! I've gone to dinner alone....and got my own table! But, that's not o say that if YOU ask to join others, they will form a group of people who want to sit together. I've never actually done this, so I'm not certain in the "how-to" part! Others will chime in! ;)

Have a great time!!!

Think of it like a restaurant at home. There is a stand like a hostess stand when you walk in. You tell them the number in your party, and you will be seated at a table for that number. If there happens to be a wait, you will be given a buzzer.

It is my understanding that you can request seating with others, and if there are others that have done the same, you would be seated with them. I'm guessing smaller groups (couples) are the ones that might do that. But again, that is by request.

It's just as if you were going to any restaurant. You arrive with your party and the hostess will seat you. Sometimes they ask if you would like to share a table, especially if the dining room is busy but it's your choice. There were more tables for 2 and 4 than there were for larger groups on the ships we've been on.

If you arrive just as the dining room opens there's usually a short wait while everyone in line is seated so waiting about 15 minutes after opening to go will avoid that. If you avoid peak hours you shouldn't have to wait for a table. Arriving before 630PM has always worked well for us.

Think of it like a restaurant at home. There is a stand like a hostess stand when you walk in. You tell them the number in your party, and you will be seated at a table for that number. If there happens to be a wait, you will be given a buzzer.

It is my understanding that you can request seating with others, and if there are others that have done the same, you would be seated with them. I'm guessing smaller groups (couples) are the ones that might do that. But again, that is by request.

Yea, If you WANT to sit with others at dinner, you just tell the host or hostess you wish to share a table. Otherwise you get a table for your party.

We were a party of three on the Peal last summer and always had a table for four to ourselves. We have also gone freestyle with just the two of us and during more peak times we were asked if we wanted to sit with another couple - then we would be matched and seated at the same time - we never joined another party in the middle of their dinner - that would be very rude. BTW we always enjoyed meeting and dining with another couple.

We love sitting with others! When you request to share a table you will be seated at a table that has recently been seated as well and you can all order at the same time. It is a fun way to meet new people. By happenstance we ended up sharing a table 3 times with a mother & daughter - still keep in contact on FB.

Archived