Cairns hotel?

LdyDDS

In early December we will be in Cairns for 3 nights before we move on to Auckland for our cruise. We have never been in Australia before and have no idea which hotel to book. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? On one of the middle days we would like to take an all day tour to the Great Barrier Reef but other days...we have no idea. So we would love some suggestions for hotels and sites to see.

What type of budget are you looking at?

the Shangri La and Hilton are right on the marina front. Of these 2 i prefer the Hilton as the Shangri La standard rooms are badly in need of reurb and they don't care about return guests. The executive rooms run rings aorund the Hilton but the exec lounge can be a bit zoo like.

The middle level hotels such as the mercure are Ok from what I have heard. I haven't stayed in them. Check reviews on Tripadvisor or even ask on the Cairns forum

For 3 days I actually prefer to stay just north of Cairns at Palm Cove, a little quieter and resort like. There are quite a few good properties close walk to the beach (no beach in Cairns)

if you not adverse to driving I would recommend the drive around the hinterland and either up to Mossman Gorge or Milla falls. If you head to Mossman a detour to Port Douglas is worthwhile.

If you don't want tp drive then the Kuranda trip is the standard other tourist option. You can train up and skyrail back. That is the best route as it gives you flexibility if the Kuranda township is not your thing.

your options are pretty open with 3 days in Cairns. All the boat trips to the reef will offer transfers, so you could stay in Palm Cove or Trinity Beach if you wanted, or simply stay in the middle of Cairns if thats more your thing.

If you have 3 full days in Cairns then I'd definately do the reef one day, the kuranda skyrail and train another and then use the 3rd for either a look around Cairns, an adventury kind of activity or if you like the rainforest maybe even a trip to Cape Tribulation and the Daintree Rainforest. If the reef was more your thing you could even consider a 2nd reef trip, but maybe to an Island this time.

You have lots of options - here's a site that may help you a bit. http://visitcairns.com.au

Archived