paying for gelatos - is that true??

Cherie319

I was looking on Youtube and saw that gelatos and sorbets are charged - so I guess this is a specialty (including the bakery). Just want to make sure - I was thinking ordering bakery goodies to take home, is that possible?:confused:

I was looking on Youtube and saw that gelatos and sorbets are charged - so I guess this is a specialty (including the bakery). Just want to make sure - I was thinking ordering bakery goodies to take home, is that possible?:confused:

The gelato booth on the Breakaway is indeed a pay venue. Of course, ice cream and such is free everywhere else on board... We loved the soft serve machines in the buffet area... couldn't pass without swirling a cone.

As far as "taking bakery goodies home," ...you are from NYC, right?

Don't bother... they were good, but no different from any Italian bakery around your neighborhood.

The gelato booth on the Breakaway is indeed a pay venue. Of course, ice cream and such is free everywhere else on board... We loved the soft serve machines in the buffet area... couldn't pass without swirling a cone.

Don't bother... they were good, but no different from any Italian bakery around your neighborhood.

thanks for bringing me back to earth - what was I thinking!! I can drive to their bakery in NJ - Thanks for the knock in the head - LOL

You could say that about all of the food on the ship. It's the experience that matters. None of it is better than what you can get in NYC, but I can't have gelato on the waterfront in Bermuda in NYC.

Thank you for your comments - I was in the "cruise zone" which means I wasn't thinking. Yes I live in NYC and can get all the goodies here - I had a mind block - :) So now I'm back down to earth :D

Thank you for your comments - I was in the "cruise zone" which means I wasn't thinking. Yes I live in NYC and can get all the goodies here - I had a mind block - :) So now I'm back down to earth :D

You'll find better bakeries every 2 blocks in NYC :)

I found the ice cream/sorbets available in the buffet to be very good. I figured we had already paid for them in our cruise fare! :)

We did buy one chocolate cupcake and it was good. Note the cupcakes and some other treats from Carlo's are also sold at the coffee stand in the main atrium area.

You are right. last time I went it was a 3-hour wait, I decided it's not worth the 3-hours

Last time I was in NYC, I went to his bakery near times square... No wait there :)

Since I was not satisfied ( wrong item in our takeout box )... And was not so impressed by the item we got.... Not sure I will visit on the Breakaway....

Hi

depending of what bakery goodies you like - maybe you are not allowed to bring them into the USA.

(most bread is allowed, but nothing with seeds or fruit - I think, everything with dairy creme is not allowed - not absolutely sure.....)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

When I travel to the US visiting friends and brining goods for them I check the rules twice - because they change often in details...

Wendy

The lines to get into Carlos's Bakery in Hoboken are humongous.

Sometimes around the block

I can't imagine waiting so long. Maybe people are hoping to see Carlos or they just want to be able say they've been there.

a) Yes, the gelato is an upcharge. However this is also free ice cream & sorbet in the buffet, and also soft-serve machines in the corners of the buffet.

b) I do not believe you're able to take fresh milk products off the ship.

Archived