Side ship docks in Bermuda on Explorer?

We are looking into booking the 5-day cruise to Bermuda next summer on Explorer of the Seas. I would really like to book a balcony cabin that will be on the dock side of the ship once we are in Bermuda? You would think that the "port" side would be "the one", but I was told that there is no way to know which side will face the wharf and which side will face the Bay. Why isn't this consistent? There is only one port of call on this cruise, so you would think that they would always dock on the same side!

What is your experience with this?

Which side should we choose?

Thanks for your help, Lise :)

We are looking into booking the 5-day cruise to Bermuda next summer on Explorer of the Seas. I would really like to book a balcony cabin that will be on the dock side of the ship once we are in Bermuda? You would think that the "port" side would be "the one", but I was told that there is no way to know which side will face the wharf and which side will face the Bay. Why isn't this consistent? There is only one port of call on this cruise, so you would think that they would always dock on the same side!

We asked a captain this question once and he said there were a number of factors that determine the direction of docking, including wind, current, visibility, lifeboat drills, proximity of other ships. There's probably a few factors I'm forgetting.

We asked a captain this question once and he said there were a number of factors that determine the direction of docking, including wind, current, visibility, lifeboat drills, proximity of other ships. There's probably a few factors I'm forgetting.

We have been to Bermuda twice (so far) and both times the port side has been to the dock. But, when you look on the port cam, you can see that the ships often dock the opposite direction. I think that it is mostly for the lifeboat 'workout'. All the lifeboats need to get a little run from time to time to find any potential problems. It all depends on the drill schedule as to whether the lifeboats on the port or starboard are going to get worked.

I think you got all the main ones Bob.

Flip a coin. There is no sure fire way to know which side of the ship will face the pier when docking. Clarea named all the main reasons that factor into which side of the ship faces the pier.

I think you got all the main ones Bob.

Plus maintenance...if they need to do any welding, or a large painting project, etc, they will have that side of the ship over the water and not the passengers heads walking down the pier....

And I'm not sure about refueling...I know when I was in the navy, most ships I was on preferred one side over the other....and re they refueling from the pier or a barge.

Currently in Bermuda the NCL Dawn is docked with it's port side next to the pier, the RCI Grandeur OS is behind it with it's starboard side next to the pier.

Thanks to all of you who answered my questions. I must admit that it all makes sense from the painting and maintenance of the ship to the life boat drills, and all the other reasons that were mentioned. This was very helpful - even though it doesn't help me decide which side we should pick!!! Oh well!!!... ;)

Thanks to all of you who replied. Lise

Thanks to all of you who answered my questions. I must admit that it all makes sense from the painting and maintenance of the ship to the life boat drills, and all the other reasons that were mentioned. This was very helpful - even though it doesn't help me decide which side we should pick!!! Oh well!!!... ;)

Thanks to all of you who replied. Lise

I will say this...I have been to Bermuda 4 times on the Explorer, and every time the Port side faced the pier....we were also there for single day, and we were also the only ship in port....

So if I had to roll the dice.....

I will say this...I have been to Bermuda 4 times on the Explorer, and every time the Port side faced the pier....we were also there for single day, and we were also the only ship in port....

So if I had to roll the dice.....

The two times we have been there, the ship has docked on the Port side also. But, when looking at the Bermuda port cam, you can see that they do dock on the starboard side sometimes. If one really wanted to have a cabin overlooking the dock, the Port side has the better odds.

Archived