Fancy/Luxury Scooter Rental ??

I'm searching for a fancy scooter for my mother. Last year she rented her scooter from http://www.specialneedsatsea.com. The scooter was fine but this year I told her we are going to upgrade that bad boy to something cooler. Something to make all the other ladies jealous riding around in scooters. If anyone knows any place to rent something like this please let me know. She also really likes to have the scooter on the ship waiting for her at the room once boarded. I posted a picture of the scooter we had last year. So please help me find something cooler.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1375136111761.jpg.4850da7ca834a6aeecd758835d682b9c.jpg

With all due respect, those of us who have to rely on mobility scooters because we're unable to walk, and who would much prefer to walk than be confined to a scooter, don't really view scooters as having bragging rights. The places where you are able to rent scooters for cruises are limited to a very few due to security rules. There are only two companies I'm aware of that are allowed to bring scooters on ships, and those are CareVacations and Special Needs at Sea. If there are any others, I know they don't rent high end scooters, and all inventory pretty much the same models.

If you want some fancy scooter, you will have to purchase one on your own. The high priced fancy scooters like the Pride Persuit ($4,999), the Drive Gator ($5977) and EV Rider Sport ($4325) are all very fancy, but in all honesty are not built for traveling, especially on cruise ships because they're large, are not easy to maneuver and won't fit in a lot of places on the ship and in port. To be honest, the smaller and more manageable scooters, although they may not look sexy, are the best for travel in general, and for cruise ships in particular.

BTW, the scooter you pictured is better looking than most rental scooters I've seen.

FYI, if your cruise is coming up soon, you better get on booking the scooter. Both rental companies generally require at least a month's notice because scooters are limited. I see you're cruising Carnival early next month. You really need to get in gear and reserve the scooter. BTW, I know from experience that Carnival only allows the two rental companies I mentioned. I've rented from both for Carnival ships.

I'm searching for a fancy scooter for my mother. Last year she rented her scooter from http://www.specialneedsatsea.com. The scooter was fine but this year I told her we are going to upgrade that bad boy to something cooler. Something to make all the other ladies jealous riding around in scooters. If anyone knows any place to rent something like this please let me know. She also really likes to have the scooter on the ship waiting for her at the room once boarded. I posted a picture of the scooter we had last year. So please help me find something cooler.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

There are only 2 rental companies that can deliver and pickup directly to the cruise ship cabin. However both companies are not approved to deliver to all cruise lines. For example NCL only allows http://www.specialneedsatsea.com to deliver directly on board its ships. While RCCL allows you to use either http://www.carevacations.com or http://www.specialneedsatsea.com.

you need to contact the cruise line in which you are sailing to see which vendoer(s) is their approved. Neither CareVacations nor Special Needs at Seas rents what you want a fancy and ot cooler mobility scooter. If you want something fancier and or cooler you're going to have to purchase it and bring it with you.

If what that previous poster has stated is correct that you have not booked an accessible cabin, than yes this poses a serious concern that apparently you have not considered in relative to getting a fancier and or cooler scooter.

Base on your other posts on the CC Forum it appears that you're cruise is on Carnival. Carnival's mobility scooter policy is :

Mobility Scooters:
Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Furthermore, the Guest Services office cannot store personal scooters, nor be used to recharge batteries.
Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter.

Here's the direct link to where this information can be found on Carnival's website http://www.carnival.com/legal/guests-special-requirements.aspx

I told her we are going to upgrade that bad boy to something cooler. Something to make all the other ladies jealous riding around in scooters.

Personally I can't imagine being jealous of ANY scooter made. And what's the point to begin with? :rolleyes: Will it make her vacation enhanced in anyway or help her get around the ship any better? And bigger/more expensive doesn't necessarily mean it will work out better for her on a cruise ship with limited space like other's have said.

If you feel the need to make her scooter different, prettier perhaps, why not decorate it with removable decorations? You could go to the fabric store and get frou-frou, fur or feather type, perhaps hot pink or purple, yards of it and wrap the scooter arms and basket, that would be cute and different. If you were careful, perhaps you could wrap more than that. Does this idea help you any?

M.

I found this to be a lighthearted post. i have a family member who all the way up to her late 80's cooperates best if told an object, outfit or action will make her appear younger, cuter or cause others her age jealousy! I have assumed you can rent a scooter at home and bring it to the ship with you if the company is agreeable. I ride mine from the airport doors to the plane, and through the cruise terminals to the ship. I own a small Tzara scooter which is too wide for regular ship room, too small for going on grass, too bumpy a ride on brick or cobblestones. I do wish I could afford a big, shock absorber scooter, but then I would need a vehicle to carry it, a crane to pick it up. I want a tiny ship scooter and a big off road scooter to visit National Parks. Being silly about scooter lust is a far better attitude than being jealous of all the able bodied women my age dancing, trotting up the steps etc.

It's a pity they no longer make the iBot wheelchair, that could climb stairs, balance on 2 wheels like a Segway and even hoist you up to 6 feet tall to reach the top shelf.

Heck, I would imagine folks would be so jealous they'd be happy to break a leg to get a week or two in one of those babies. :rolleyes:

Chunky,

I test drove the IBOT, they were amazing, BUT up or down stairs wasn't as easy as it looked! There was a safety issue with the battery, so no longer made.

I use a Permobile that has a seat elevator, very handy!

Sherry

The only thing I can suggest is removable decorations. Crazy fabric or colors, flags that you can put on the scooter.

My mom doesn't care what a her scooter looks like. it could be ugly as all get out and she doesn't care because the scooter are her legs and lets her get around. My mom can't walk at all. When you can't walk all scooters are 'beautiful'.

Chunky,

I test drove the IBOT, they were amazing, BUT up or down stairs wasn't as easy as it looked! There was a safety issue with the battery, so no longer made.

I use a Permobile that has a seat elevator, very handy!

Sherry

I always wondered why they discontinued it. It was a heck of a price so I thought maybe that was the issue, but I'm surprised the problem was the battery. I guess that something balancing on two wheels using half a dozen gyroscopes would get like a drunken sailor if the battery failed suddenly!

The only thing I can suggest is removable decorations. Crazy fabric or colors, flags that you can put on the scooter.

My mom doesn't care what a her scooter looks like. it could be ugly as all get out and she doesn't care because the scooter are her legs and lets her get around. My mom can't walk at all. When you can't walk all scooters are 'beautiful'.

I so agree! I have a power wheelchair as I have not been able to walk since being hit by a car shortly after my 49th birthday. So grateful for the independence it gives me!

I have a cute little parrot stuffed animal that has velcor strap on the bottom that I can attached to my tiller....he looks like he is sitting on a perch. On a cruise out of New Orleans I decorated my scooter with lots of Madi Gras beads....on another cruise had a stuffed monkey that hung from the tiller. Lots of different things you can do to make the scooter look more "fun". :D

Archived