Place for Causal Pre-cruise dinner/drinks

To all you Vancouverettes,

My CC roll call group is looking for a good place for a casual pre-cruise dinner/drinks in September. Without breaking CC rules, can you say if any of the places below would be acceptable in the downtown area.

Joey Burrand

Moxie's Grill and Bar

Lennox Pub

Steamwork Pub

Milestones Grill & Bar

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

My CC roll call group is looking for a good place for a casual pre-cruise dinner/drinks in September. Without breaking CC rules, can you say if any of the places below would be acceptable in the downtown area.

Joey Burrand

Moxie's Grill and Bar

Lennox Pub

Steamwork Pub

Milestones Grill & Bar

Rick

Of your list above, I enjoy Joey's (Bentall Location) the most. However, I would suggest even trying Mahony and Sons on the water at the new Convention Centre. It's in a nice location and has a great view with a fairly laid back ambiance. It's a very popular place with my coworkers and has really good food.

Sorry I'm not of the fairer sex, but I'll answer anyway;-)

Joey Burrard

Joey is a slightly fancier (& pricier) version of Milestones with (according to local restaurant awards) the price hike being justified by hiring 'hotter female servers' - if you're all guys, but too classy to go to Hooters maybe Joey would be ideal;-)

Moxie's Grill and Bar

I haven't eaten in the Vancouver Moxie's but based on others if your party wants to start drinking huge goldfish bowl cocktails before cruising, this would be your best option. Big fat food portions too.

Lennox Pub

Absolutely middle-of-the-road pub with a decent range of drinks and decent portions of generic pub grub.

Steamworks Pub

If *all* of your group likes Craft Beers the best choice; if you have non-beer-fans though, the worst. IMO the joint-weakest kitchen on the list, with the Lennox - they offer more kinds of food, but consistency of preparation is poor.

Milestones Grill & Bar

I'd say that Milestone's is the one on this list most likely to offer something to eat that everyone will enjoy - covers a a very wide range of options, and usually some sort of dinner-time deal (2 can dine for $X, discounted wine with dinner, cheap cocktail night etc.)

If you have Joey on the list, Cactus Club Cafe should be too - they have better food for the same price and now that the new one is open you have a choice of English Bay views or North Shore views.

Next to Steamworks, owned by the same people but with a wider range of beers and a more consistent kitchen making a virtually identical menu is Rogue - the only downside is no chance of a view, although not many seats in Steamworks have a view either.

I think the location of your various hotels would enter the equation to a degree but that aside I would lean toward the Cactus Club Coal Harbour or as Tweedy has suggested, Mahoney & Sons for their views.

I'm not a Vancouveritte but would vote for Cactus Club or Moxies. Both try to come off as "high end" but in reality are middle of the road when it comes to price and quality.

Be sure to try the local beers as well as a Caesar (drink).

Archived