B2B - Europe and Transatlantic

laurmac

I've been starting to look at Transatlantic cruises for the fall of 2014.

NCL is offering (as one cruise) - On the EPIC from Barcelona -

Transatlantic

Western Europe + Transatlantic + Caribbean

Transatlantic + Caribbean

Of course none of these options appeal to me, I want :

Western Europe + Transatlantic (which are available separately)

If I book these both, do I have to book as 2 separate cruises (with 2 separate deposits?) Will I have any success asking NCL to book as one cruise? We are also fond of guarantees, and booking separately won't ensure we are in the same cabin on both legs. Do you think they'll eventually offer them together?

Looking for insight from NCL experts!

Go ahead and call NCL, you have nothing to lose.

If I remember correctly, I've read here that some people have been successful getting two or more separately sold consecutive cruises booked by their PCC as one long cruise and hence paying only one deposit and of course getting the same cabin for the entire cruise.

Good luck, come back and let us know if you succeeded! :)

Transatlantic

If I book these both, do I have to book as 2 separate cruises (with 2 separate deposits?) Will I have any success asking NCL to book as one cruise? We are also fond of guarantees, and booking separately won't ensure we are in the same cabin on both legs. Do you think they'll eventually offer them together?

I don't go fow the guarantees when booking a balcony on a TA because of the weather, I know I need to be Portside on a TA leaving from Europe/UK to get the most sunshine, if coming from US to Europe I would book starboard for the same reason. My friend on the Epic last year told me she was starboard, I told her to change to Portside but she insisted she was happy, we had lovely sunshine sitting out on our balcony and she told me she was lucky to have a couple of hours of sunshine on her side. She is now going to make sure she's portside in the future.

Transatlantic

Next September and October, we are doing a 14 cruise from Copenhaven to Norway, Faroe Islands, Shetland Islands, Iceland, Dublin and Glasgow B2B with a TA from Copenhaven to Miami (14 day).

Prices for the TA were a steal. Got a balcony for $700 pp.

If a low deposit is important, have you considered acquiring "latitude reward" certificates for the deposits? Fully transferrable, one buys them on board for $250 (less an immediate OBC of $100, for an effective cost of $150). One certificate acts a deposit ($250) on any regular cabin (not a fancy suite, but if are talking gty, you are not looking at suites). To keep you outlay down, try to buy a couple of such certificates. some people use eBay, some people here mention available certificates.

think carefully about one vs two cruises. if NCL allows you to book it as one long cruise without listing it that way on any website, you will not be able to check for price drops.

Also remember that demand is sometimes lax on transatlantic cabins., so really nice cabins might be available for low cost per day. And you'll be on the ship to enjoy that nice cabin. demand and prices for cabins on Med cruises is usually higher. And, if port intensive, you are not on the ship as much (closer to the sleep and shower and out the door for many people). Though it would mean moving cabins (really, is that a big deal?), I'd book a basic cabin on the first leg and then move to a nice cabin on the second one. then I'd watch prices and maybe catch price drops or upgrade opportunities.

Also, if life intervenes and you must shorten your trip, it is likely easier if you have it booked as two consectutive cruises

Just things to consider before you decide.

If Latitude points are important and you would change levels after the first segment then probably book the cruises b2b. I am doing this in September as I will change to Platinum after the first segment. I booked through a TA nearly 1 1/2 years ago at two different times, nearly a month apart and was able to secure the same cabin for both segments. Whichever way you choose to book, enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your input - I have some new options to think about!

Sheila59 - great point about the balcony - thanks!

4774Papa- that is a great itinerary, and I would love to do it, but I'll never cruise on the Star again.

Starry Eyes - I have one FCC - was hoping to use that for the entire itinerary - but I will consider purchasing another - never thought of buying one through eBay!

rhblake - We're Platinum already, but that's a great tip for those who aren't!

Thanks again!

Oh you are Platinum and therefore an experienced cruiser. I am Platinum, too, but I do not know how the perks are handled in this situation. Do you know? I assume if booked as two shorter b2b cruises, each platinum member would get a set of coupons (LeBistro dinner, for example) for each cruise. If you book it as one long cruise, does each Platinum get one set of Platinum coupons for the long cruise or would they still get two sets?

a few years ago, I only generally kept one NCL FCC on file at a time. then I had a situation like your when I wished I had extra. So, I bought extras on my next cruise and buy enough to stay ahead of my potential bookings. maybe you can think of a cruise friend who can loan or sell you an FCC. It is a nice way to keep deposits down.

Transatlantic

I am not sure if this will be helpful or not but I just booked a cruise with *************, (am I allowed to name them on this forum, if not my apologies), I booked back to back Los Angeles to Miami via Panama Canal the, the 2nd cruise was a Transatlantic crossing, they booked it for me as one cruise, one deposit and we have the same cabin all the way.

Archived