Norovirus on 21 July 13 Pride Sailing?

swodog94

We just got back from sailing on Carnival Pride from 21-28 July 13. After we got home following debarkation on Sunday my wife started feeling ill with lots of nausea, vomiting, and intestinal distress. It didn't go away or get better Monday and today she went to the doctor. He diagnosed her with norovirus (the "cruise ship disease"). I'm wondering if anyone else who was on that sailing is experiencing similar symptoms? Did the doc just assume she had norovirus because she told him she just got back from a cruise? I'm really anxious to hear from folks, although I plan to email Carnival anyway so that they can take any measures they see fit.

Norovirus is not a cruise ship disease. Cruise ships don't get sick.

If people get noro on a ship, it is because someone on land brought it on the ship.

Like bedbugs, noro is far more common on land. It is always a carrier (usually a passenger) that brings them/it on the ship.

There are US laws that if a certain number of people on a cruise, any cruise, any cruise line, come down with noro, the CDC has to be notified.

The standard incubation period for noro is 28-48 hours.

Hard to say, but if the cruise after yours had issues, they may already know about it and it is certainly possible that your wife picked it up in some port and brought it on the ship. :eek:

Norovirus is not a cruise ship disease. Cruise ships don't get sick.

If people get noro on a ship, it is because someone on land brought it on the ship.

Like bedbugs, noro is far more common on land. It is always a carrier (usually a passenger) that brings them/it on the ship.

There are US laws that if a certain number of people on a cruise, any cruise, any cruise line, come down with noro, the CDC has to be notified.

The standard incubation period for noro is 28-48 hours.

Hard to say, but if the cruise after yours had issues, they may already know about it and it is certainly possible that your wife picked it up in some port and brought it on the ship. :eek:

Ok, thanks for no help at all. I've been going to sea on cruisers and destroyers for 20 years, so I understand how diseases, bugs, etc. propagate on board. And if your crew all have the crud, or a "bug", or norovirus, or MRSA for that matter, then the ship IS sick.

We just got back from sailing on Carnival Pride from 21-28 July 13. After we got home following debarkation on Sunday my wife started feeling ill with lots of nausea, vomiting, and intestinal distress. It didn't go away or get better Monday and today she went to the doctor. He diagnosed her with norovirus (the "cruise ship disease"). I'm wondering if anyone else who was on that sailing is experiencing similar symptoms? Did the doc just assume she had norovirus because she told him she just got back from a cruise? I'm really anxious to hear from folks, although I plan to email Carnival anyway so that they can take any measures they see fit.

She may have had noro, but he was also assuming, since there is a specific test to detemrine if it really is noro and that doesn't happen in a 15 mniute office visit.

Stomach flu is running rampant right now...I know this first hand having been through hell yesterday....and I was not on a ship.

Obviously this bug will spread faster on board a ship, but it is not a 'ship issue'.

I hope your wife is feeling better now and I hope if many on board were sick, it will be gone by the time we sail next Sunday!

It wouldn't surprise me if the doctor just assumed norovirus since you just got off a cruise. Good luck and I hope you find some answers.

She may have had noro, but he was also assuming, since there is a specific test to detemrine if it really is noro and that doesn't happen in a 15 mniute office visit.

I concur, which is why I went on a fishing expedition. I'm not convinced it was noro, or even that she contracted it on the ship.

Hope she's doing well. I have to say I had noro once....not from a ship.....and there was no way I could have left the house to see a doctor it was so bad. It took 3 days for me to be able to get out without worrying if a bathroom was near. Sorry if TMI but from what I've heard/experienced, noro is pretty extreme vs. a regular stomach bug.

Hope she's doing well. I have to say I had noro once....not from a ship.....and there was no way I could have left the house to see a doctor it was so bad. It took 3 days for me to be able to get out without worrying if a bathroom was near. Sorry if TMI but from what I've heard/experienced, noro is pretty extreme vs. a regular stomach bug.

Uggh! Yeah, she had some nausea and vomiting, but not diarrhea. I think the doc just took the easy way out on this. Thanks for the TMI, it was useful.

I came down with it the day after I got off my cruise. I sent an email to the company alerting them, so they could at least possibly clean my cabin down, and maybe take some precautions.

I got a very unhelpful email back from them, telling me how norovirus works, how it's contracted, where it's common, and a whole bunch of other rubbish I already knew.

I was sorry I wasted my time.

Two cruises later, a full outbreak hit the ship. Served them right.

I did get Noro while on a ship and my experience was much like yours. I was quarantined to my room for 36 hours but I was SO sick the quarantine was just overkill, I wasn't going anywhere. Believe me.:eek:

Stomach flu is running rampant right now...I know this first hand having been through hell yesterday....and I was not on a ship.

Obviously this bug will spread faster on board a ship, but it is not a 'ship issue'.

My adult son was down July 17-23 with a horrible GI bug - low grade fever, diarrhea, vomiting and terrible stomach cramps. He hasn't set foot on a cruise ship in 2 years. It ran through nearly everyone in his office. They finally had to shut down for a few days so everyone could recover and to sanitize the offices and the private bathrooms.

Archived