Just booked our first Disney cruise any advice or tips?

Solstice23

Hello everyone

My wife and our 6 month old (at time of sailing) Weston just booked our first disney cruise as an extra escape before the holidays. As you can see from our signature we have cruised often mostly enjoying Celebrity Aqua Clads and or suites on most ships. We just booked a regular verandah on the Wonder for this cruise. Wondering ISPs anyone has any advice or tips ? Our friends booked and they are bringing a 5 year old its there first cruise.

After the cruise were stating 1 night before flying home because the non stop back to Toronto is after 5pm and not waiting in airport all da with a 6 month old. We booked the St Regis hotel in Houston, any tips on what to do in Houston other the Christmas Shop?

Ohh we're age 35

Thanks everyone

Hello everyone

My wife and our 6 month old (at time of sailing) Weston just booked our first disney cruise as an extra escape before the holidays. As you can see from our signature we have cruised often mostly enjoying Celebrity Aqua Clads and or suites on most ships. We just booked a regular verandah on the Wonder for this cruise. Wondering ISPs anyone has any advice or tips ? Our friends booked and they are bringing a 5 year old its there first cruise.

After the cruise were stating 1 night before flying home because the non stop back to Toronto is after 5pm and not waiting in airport all da with a 6 month old. We booked the St Regis hotel in Houston, any tips on what to do in Houston other the Christmas Shop?

Ohh we're age 35

Thanks everyone

Ensure you log on the DCL website enroll there find your palo, and shore trip booking date. Book on this date.

Plan plan and plan about the ship,

Read here about it.

Meals and restaurants, look at menus look at shows you might wish to see.

Read about Palo brunch and dinner.

Google search navigators for your ship or cruise there the ships activities plan a type of newspaper.

Look at there website for shore trips you might wish to take.

I am on the Wonder on Monday, how about reading my blog on it, I will take photos and show everyone the ship.

A couple of thoughts:

Don't try to do it all. There is way too much to do.

Carry your camera and phone with you at all times. You will have random moments when you run into a character and they will stop and pose with you so be ready!

I loved my Disney cruise. I hope you have a "magical" time.

Be prepared to join the addiction!

Things I forgot to do and WILL do next time:

-Order a free Mickey Ice Cream Bar!

-See a 3D movie (not enough time on a 3 day with 3 ports)

-Not be too full and miss the pirate buffet

-Probably not wear a corset to pirate night this time (hence getting too full. I have a new idea, probably a wide stretchy belt instead haha!)

-Going to ride water slide more than one, I hear Aquaduck is nice at night, but i'll be on AquaDUNK so we shall see when it's done updating.

Don't miss the Golden Mickeys if you have it on your ship, it was our favorite show we saw that week. Family karaoke is an absolute blast and really funny too (lil kids are so entertaining!). We loved the Fiesta Salsa dance party with Donald Duck too.

If you get to Castaway Cay, they have cute hermit crab races and loves of great activities. Check your Navigator to see what's scheduled.

If Nassau is on the schedule, BOOK SOMETHING. People hate to walk around Nassau and some think it feels a bit iffy. (use common sense and don't wave a bunch of cash around.) If you book a tour (I seriously recommend Blue Lagoon which is great for all ages, or if you want something shorter, we also did a catamaran snorkel and it was soo nice too and we were back on board by 1:30.) If you do not plan to book SOMETHING for Nassau, my suggestion is not to get off the ship (or just go grab some rum cakes at Tortuga. Shop real quick, the straw market has adorable bags too, we got Ariel or Dolphins and our names on ours, but be prepared for VERY HIGH PRESSURE SALES, but we never felt unsafe.)

Agree about photos. We went to take pictures with the Princesses in the DLounge and there were no staff photographers. We were not prepared. We got to the front of the line and had no camera. A nice lady in line took ours and emailed them. Disney cruisers are the NICEST guests! Now we know. GOTTA have a camera on hand, even a small one.

Also, if you are unfamiliar with DCL, you can bring on board whatever beverages you want, I do mean whatever, but they have to be on your person (not checked in luggage) and have to fit thru the security scanner (like TSA conveyor). This can make dinner wine (can't open the bottle at the table though or there is a fee) or a nice drink on your veranda, on deck or at the show, a very nice option. (You can't have a bottle of wine or 6 pack sitting in a public place with you, but if you walk around with a drink in hand, no one will mind.) If you want to, that is.

We loved Animator's restuarant the best, so definitely don't miss on that. I will be interested in how you compare RCI food to DCL. Food is subjective and so its is preparation.

All in all, DCL entertains families like no one else! I hope you get photos of your youngster with the characters, they are SO cute and everything about it is magical. You made the right choice!

Thank you everyone for everything so far

Were ok for the ports been to all of them many times lost count.

As for the shows that's again :)

Food ,... Yes we're picky really enjoy aqua class dining in BLU on celebrity and the specialty dining on Celebrity and Azamara. I'm sure the food will be great on Disney but different style then Celebrity and Azamara but that's fine :)

Anyone have tips for the wonder travelling with a 6 month old ? It's his first cruise but he has coming up in January 3 nights on Majesty of the seas and when we get off we go and jump on the Celebrity Equinox for 11 nights and then on celebrity Reflection march 8th so this cruise will be his first so were excited

And does everyone dress up or what percentage for Pirate night ? My wife's excited as she's a teacher.

Thanks again

There are plenty who go all out and plenty that don't. Disney leaves mickey pirate bandanas in everyone's room. Our dudes looked so cute with them on! We all wore it to dinner. You are fine either way, but I have lots of goodies left over from my Ren Faire days. For ladies, a lot of the peasant trends now can easily be transformed into pirate apparel with hoop earrings etc. Its fun! Where else can you sing Alicia Keys karaoke in a full pirate cavalier hat and corset and it be total normal? Disney is my kinda place!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone for everything so far

Were ok for the ports been to all of them many times lost count.

As for the shows that's again :)

Food ,... Yes we're picky really enjoy aqua class dining in BLU on celebrity and the specialty dining on Celebrity and Azamara. I'm sure the food will be great on Disney but different style then Celebrity and Azamara but that's fine :)

Anyone have tips for the wonder travelling with a 6 month old ? It's his first cruise but he has coming up in January 3 nights on Majesty of the seas and when we get off we go and jump on the Celebrity Equinox for 11 nights and then on celebrity Reflection march 8th so this cruise will be his first so were excited

And does everyone dress up or what percentage for Pirate night ? My wife's excited as she's a teacher.

Thanks again

Well, if your wife is a teacher I'm sure she'll be prepared for anything.

I would think traveling with a 6 month old will cut down your possible activity list, but I'm glad you're bringing him. Our kids are grown, but our next cruise will be with our 4 yr old DGD. She (and her Dad) lives with us, and I'd miss her too much to cruise without her!

PS: obviously you want to make sure you have enough diapers, etc. for your trips, and as veteran cruisers you probably know where to find shops at your ports that will sell any forgotten items.

PPS: Pirate night: everyone gets a bandana to wear, and we did a 4 day Dis cruise where, I'd estimate, maybe 15 percent of cruisers dressed up.

I think you have to make reservations with Flounders (the nursery) which you might want to do if you want to go to Palo for the specialty dinner (there is an upcharge for Palo and a fee for Flounders - here's the link for the nursery which also says how far in advance you can book your onboard reservation).

The Wonder is a lovely smaller-class ship and do take Disney Fantasy up on their offer to tour the ship by photo. I always like to have a good look around before we go on a new ship - see what the dining venues, public areas, pool deck, theaters, cabins, etc. look like.

Be sure to read through the Navigator (schedule) each night so you'll know what's happening the following day - they will have a list of character appearances so you'll know who is out and where and when - we were recently on the Magic (the Wonder's sister ship) and saw the most adorable photos being taken of little ones with Mickey, Minnie, and the gang. Pricelss. Also, you can take pictures with your own camera or the CM (cast member) who is assisting will use your camera for you so you can all be in the photo.

The cabin will be plenty big for the three of you - there is room to set up a pack-and-play which your stateroom host will be glad to help you with. Having a verandah is great with a baby because when the baby is sleeping / napping, you can still enjoy being outdoors on the verandah.

Soda is free on Deck 9 aft by the Mickey pool and in the dining rooms. Salty/crunchy snacks are harder to find than sweets. They usually have chips/salsa out in the Promenade Lounge from 5 - 9, and there is usually singing duo (or small group) performing before and between dinner and into the evening hours.

Strollers can be harder to manuever on the first day and last morning as more people use the elevators. Just know you may have to wait for one if you're using a non-umbrella sized stroller.

Self-serve laundry is on deck 2, 6, and 7, in case you need it ($2 to wash, $2 to dry, it all charges to your onboard account). With a baby, sometimes that's important to know!

What deck are you staying on? We love Deck 6 port side (our favorite cabin is 6116).

we traveled with a 14 month old. Walking and on one nap was great! (Potty trained on one nap will be even better!!)

6 months, crawling and on 3 naps was too young for us. Plus nursing all of the time.

I suggest baby wearing. Easier than the stroller, and easier to nurse in. But yes to an umbrella stroller.

One tip, since you've cruised before, adjust your expectations. We didn't go go go. The point was spending time as a family.

Your little one may enjoy toddler time in the am, they have toys, then singing/dancing. And will enjoy the open hours in the kid's club. Though not as much crawling as running around everywhere!

We skipped all main shows, but did find a few smaller ones between dinner and the big show, that was great! and we did make it to mdr each night.

On ours, I think most did dress up, but we went to early dinner, which has more families/kids. We did take dd, I can't say I'm proud of that, but she woke anyway. I don't know if I'll take her this year.

Room service-fresh fruit, crackers and cheese, mickey bar and WARM chocolate chip cookies. YUMMY. This year, I'm going to get dd, 26 months have her first taste of a mickey bar.

Diapers-if flying, buy a box once there. If driving back a box. we had a diaper box with diapers, swim, regular and overnight, and wipes, bibs, sippy, and such. I picked up a pack of take and toss sippies, so nbd if they got lost. I packed spoons, but that was pointless. at six month your little one will use hands or not even be eating yet.

I love this thread. I don't have babies, but I like other people's disney babies! They are SOOO cute.

Disney really is the perfect family entertainment experience and for the littlest ones, I imagine DCL will provide the best opportunity for alone time and family time.

Your family will have a great time! Ps. You gotta dress up the baby as a pirate! haha!:D

0h, one thing we forgot about was a small bag to carry stuff in around the ship. ( I never carry a diaper bag, I keep it in my car.) We only used the stroller in ports. I'm used to only carrying (wearing) my room key. With dd we had her diaper, wipes, fold out diaper thingie, wave phone, oral gel, sippy cup and baby doll. I ended up using a small bag my jewelry came in to carry the phone and room key.

Dd got her first tooth at 6 months, so make sure you bring the baby med's/oral/your choice, and teething toys. Much cheaper than buying on ship!nl

The wave phone was GREAT, but it's vibrate only, doesn't ring. But allowed dh to go off with our daughter without me. Otherwise, I would have been stuck in the room.

For dinner, I'd order, then walk around with dd, dh would let me know when food was there. He'd leave with her after eating, and I got to enjoy dessert and coffee. (This threw our waiter off, he kept asking if he was doing some wrong, or not fast enough, saying he puts the order in before the kitchen even opens! we told him to calm down, service was great, this was how we planned it!a0

Another tip bring $1 book or toys (or the books from kid's meals). I have a pile of trinket type toys I save for traveling, , that way if they get left or lost, nbd.

Swim diapers do not hold pee, so keep that in mind if you put lo on the bed in one...(or in our case, dd was standing by the door and I watched the pee run down her leg...). And lesson I learned, if you take lo to the beach, rinse wash and put on a new diaper if in the water. I didn't think about that, since her diaper was clean, I left her in it...well hello sand burn/rash!

We were on Magic last summer. We loved our cruise.

On embarkation day, once we were on board the CM's were steering everyone to Parrot Cay. The line was HUGE and we were starving. I remembered reading on these boards that you can go to Topsiders. To be sure I asked a server at the bar. We got the green light and my DH, DD and I took the elevator to Topsiders. Much to our delight they had tasty buffet food ready to go and hardly anyone was there. We were happy and content to be eating our lunch instead of in line.

Thank you everyone

Yes we don't have many "to do" expectation esp the ports as I mentioned

Ill be on allure 2 weeks before for Expedia national conference so this cruise of family time :)

ANd yes to flounders a few hours here or there :)

Also swim diapers are not allowed in the pool, but it's ok for the splash areas like Nemo's etc. (which is better for the lil ones anyway.)

[sNIP]

-Going to ride water slide more than one, I hear Aquaduck is nice at night, but i'll be on AquaDUNK so we shall see when it's done updating.

TwinPrincessMermaids,

Nemo's is only available on the Dream class ships as is the AquaDuck as well and the OP is on the Wonder.

OP, make sure you reserve space in the nursery when you think you may want it and try to book Palo at the corresponding time for your littlun in the nursery if you wish to have some alone time. :)

GS can provide bottle warmers on a first come basis and the same same with strollers.

Your SRH can provide a diaper genie for your SR and a pack and play crib.

DCL do not provide baby food so you have to bring that with you.

And have an amazing cruise!

ex techie

Is there no splash play area on Wonder? I know that you can't use swim diapers in DCL pools...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I believe ONE of the Mickey ears is reserved for un potty trained kids on the Magic class.

ex techie

Thanks to all who are providing a wealth of info! I posted a thread below as loyal Celebrity cruisers also who might try DCL and many of our questions are being answered in your thread. We probably won't have our 3 yr. old granddaughter with us for this initial venture but will use points from our newly acquired DVC. We're used to a Celebrity or Royal suite on Summit but it sounds like the veranda would fit our needs for a short 3 or 4 nite cruise? I assume the dress is casual throughout? Still wondering whether there are any tables for 2 in the main dining room? alternative dining venues? Thanks for any further comments.:)

bigreckster,

Obviously the verandah's vary by shape and size depending on what SR you pick. The ones all the way Aft are curved so tend to be bigger.

Dress code :eek::D:p

It is cruise casual most nights, And DCL request no Shorts, Tank Tops or Swimwear in the MDR's of an evening.

On a short cruise (3 or 4 day) there will be a dress up optional night. There is a Formal and Semi Formal night on longer cruises.

Alternative dining is probably a bit more restricted than you are used to.

You rotate thru the 3 main MDR's with your serving team with you each night, so what ever dining rotation you are assigned dictates which restaurant you go to. Apart from that there is Cabana's (buffet during the day, sit down service at night), or Palo 18+ ($20 up charge) and Remy 18+ ($75 up charge and only on the Dream and Fantasy).

Palo and Remy require a more strict dress code:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/onboard-dining/dining-attire

Apart from that there are quick service outlets by the pool, or room service at no additional cost (tip aside)

You or your TA can request a table for 2, and DCL will do their best to accommodate it, but it is only considered a request.

Here's a link to the dining onboard the Dream:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/dining/

HTH's!

ex techie

Archived