Equinox 1st time cruise -an idiots guide

holgate

as its our first cruise we'd like help, i.e. an idiots guide to cruising,

I know that all of the questions have been asked before so please bear with me.

we're going on the celebrity in november - barcelona to venice and all ports between.

we've bought the classic alcohol package but now wonder if we've done the right thing, we're not big drinkers, glass of wine with dinner, beer or gin and tonic on a night plus coffees and juice during the day. the questions are will this package suffice and can we get the cheaper drinks in all bars, i.e. the martini bar.

we'll be eternally grateful for any tips to make the cruise more enjoyable

we're going on the celebrity in november - barcelona to venice and all ports between.

we've bought the classic alcohol package but now wonder if we've done the right thing, we're not big drinkers, glass of wine with dinner, beer or gin and tonic on a night plus coffees and juice during the day. the questions are will this package suffice and can we get the cheaper drinks in all bars, i.e. the martini bar.

If your question is limited to the classic package, it should be easy to answer: depends on how much you are drinking, esp. alcohol.

I am not a big (alcoholics) drinker either and therefor sticked with the premium non alcoholic package. If I wanted a glass of wine, I paid for it - was cheaper than the price difference to the classic alc package PLUS i got more non-alcoholic beverages on the premium package (hence premium).

So if you only drink a glass of wine for dinner and a drink on a bar at night, you should consider a non-alcoholic package, but maybe the premium (you will get red bull, specialty coffees, vitamin water in addition to the classic package).

It also depends on how port intensive your cruise it and/or if you want an alcoholic drink during the day on ship

Remember to visit the wine shop just before you board at Barcelona.

You are permitted 2 bottles per room, but I have trouble counting ;)

Find your roll call and say hello they will help you enjoy your cruise and advise

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=525

Join people on tours to share tours/advice

Do some research on the ports. DIY or independent tours save lots of cash.

Many people miss out on the Bistro on Five until late in their cruise ($5 pp). We used it 3 times recently.

Enjoy breakfast from room service, and other times of the day also.

Ask for anything you would like, if it is possible they will try.

Always be pleasant to the staff and chat to anyone you meet.

Any problems let them try to fix it right away, not after you get home.

Enjoy the music, loved Nestor Santurio, Adam Westcott and Les De Merle

Tips for ship life...

Always think...lots of people...what will they all instinctively do?...I will choose another option...no waiting.

e.g.

Bistro on Five when you board rather than the buffet

When the sea day Brunch starts at 10...Rush there to queue? Go a little later.

it will not cover any of the drinks at the martini bar....they are all $10 and up:confused:

The $10 martinis at the martini bar are larger martinis and can be made with any spirits including top shelf brands. The classic package would include smaller size martinis made with the brands of spirits included in that package (which includes a few nice call brands) at other bars. I've read mixed reports on whether the martini bar bartenders and waiters will serve those small martinis at the martini bar on request. Most reports I've read indicate that they will do this but a few reports indicate that they will not so while your chances appear good it is not certain.

The only other bar where you'll have an issue is the molecular bar where their special cocktails are all over your $8 cap. Other than these two examples you can get pretty much any drink at any of the bars on the ship. The primary difference is that the classic package does not include the top shelf spirits included in the premium package although it does include some nice call brands. For example the classic package would include Beefeater or Tanqueray gin while the premium package would include those as well as Sapphire, Hendricks, Tanqueray 10 and other top shelf gins.

My general advice for those that are uncertain if a beverage package is the best value for them is to hold off until you are on board. Take a day or more to evaluate your own consumption and the prices on board. Then if you decide that a beverage package is right for you it can be bought on board at a price pro-rated for the remaining nights of your cruise. The packages, as well as upgrades to a more expensive package, are sold until the second or third day before the end of your cruise.

My general advice for those that are uncertain if a beverage package is the best value for them is to hold off until you are on board. Take a day or more to evaluate your own consumption and the prices on board. Then if you decide that a beverage package is right for you it can be bought on board at a price pro-rated for the remaining nights of your cruise. The packages, as well as upgrades to a more expensive package, are sold until the second or third day before the end of your cruise.

Best Advice, I think. If uncertain, wait till on the ship, as you can always add the package up to a few days before the cruise ends. I think it's around three days or so and am sure someone can tell you exactly.

Which wine shop are you referring to? We're taking the Equinox in September so I need to start thinking about where I can pick up some wine...:)

Which wine shop are you referring to? We're taking the Equinox in September so I need to start thinking about where I can pick up some wine...:)

I was describing the shop in the Barcelona port terminal building right before you board (after the check in and bag scan).

BCNDutyFree2.jpg

BCNDutyFree1.jpg

It is small, the choice limited, the pricing on 2 for deals a little ambiguous but it cannot be beat for convenience. They also sell bottled water, other shops are also opposite for non-wine essentials.

Prices and choice can be beaten in Barcelona but we arrived from the airport so it was easy. The 'Greco' white was 7e and nice tasting.

So, if we were to have 2 bottles each in our hand luggage, what are our chances?!? :cool:

A couple or 3 bottled waters, coffee in the morning and after dinner, juice at breakfast, maybe a soda or 3 by the pool and you have more than covered the cost of the Classic pkg with out a glass of red, beer, or of whiskey or rum! IMHO, the classic is one of the better additions to grabbing my dollor X has put together.

So, if we were to have 2 bottles each in our hand luggage, what are our chances?!? :cool:

I didn't see anyone at security checking boarding documents, so best case -- you separate yourselves in line and nobody says anything. Worst case -- the two bottles are confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise.

My wife and I have made the same mistake twice and ended up with more than 2 bottles. Maybe we need to communicate more?

The chances that someone will spot your error are low. ;)

You will love the Equinox. It is a beautiful ship. We will be on her in November from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. We do the Trans Atlantic every year either out of Rome or Fort Lauderdale. We never take a drink package and feel that we make out just as well. We have a Martinin before dinner, maybe a glass of wine with dinner and often times a night cap. We have priced it out and we feel we do better not taking a drinks package.

Archived