Traveling with a minor when you're not the Parent...

I will be taking my 17yr old niece on her 1st cruise and just wondering if anyone has had any issues traveling with a minor when you're not the parent or guardian?

We'll be going on Radiance on the QLD cruise so only domestic. I understand they need photo ID and a notarised letter from one of the parents?

Also, she doesn't have a passport and W.A don't issue photo learners permits. Would a school photo ID card be ok?

I will be taking my 17yr old niece on her 1st cruise and just wondering if anyone has had any issues traveling with a minor when you're not the parent or guardian?

We'll be going on Radiance on the QLD cruise so only domestic. I understand they need photo ID and a notarised letter from one of the parents?

Also, she doesn't have a passport and W.A don't issue photo learners permits. Would a school photo ID card be ok?

Hi

We traveled last year to NZ on RCL with my sons best friend and they were both 17 he did have to have a pass port, but he also had his learners which we used a lot for his ID.

As you will have to register her into teen club and make sure you take her ID when you get off at ports just in case

Hope this helps

We took our 12yo grand daughter to New Caledonia last year and had no problems.

We had the appropriate letter of approval with her passport.

All went smoothly.

I would assume her school photo ID would be appropriate but why don't you phone the cruiseline and ask these questions. They're the best people to ask

Have fun on your cruise.

Lucky niece!

PS you don't have to register for teen club, if they don't want. Surely 17yo could find their own amusements?

Sorry I have to disagree. I feel it is important for your niece to go to teen club if only for the first night as that is where she will meet all the other teens.

If she doesn't like it she does not have to return. My kids have always made lots of new friends on cruises and some are still facebook friends

Lucky niece.

Sorry I have to disagree. I feel it is important for your niece to go to teen club if only for the first night as that is where she will meet all the other teens.

If she doesn't like it she does not have to return. My kids have always made lots of new friends on cruises and some are still facebook friends

Lucky niece.

Totally agree my sons are sad now that they are too old for teen club they have made some really life long friends they loved it so much they didn't always do the activities they just hung out with their new friends around the ship.

My sons find it hard now that they are 18 and over when on over seas cruises as they can't go to teen club and they can't drink until their 21 it's harder to make new friends in this age group

OP :- I Hope you have a fantastic cruise and your niece makes loads of new friends :)

:-) Well I'm sorry if you disagree but I disagree. Not all kids want or NEED to go to the clubs. :-)

My grand daughter is an only child and CAN entertain herself adequately and DOES not need the company of others her own age to get by..She didn't need or want to go to the teen club And in my opinion it IS NOT THAT important.

What IS important, is that the niece has a good time! Anyways it's only a "domestic Qld" cruise so therefore I assume only a ferw days!

Lucky niece.

I totally agree, Karon.

My kids were 10,11 & 15 when we started cruising 7 years ago and they have always gone to kids club/teen lounge and met many new people that they are still in contact with. We barely saw them as they always wanted to hang out with their new found friends.

On our recent cruise a few weeks ago, our 17yo son still spent most of the time in HQ+ and loved every minute of it. Our daughter who is 18, really missed the whole teen lounge thing. She really wished she was a year younger. One of the guys in our group who is also 18 actually got busted going into HQ+ :D. He took part in a PS3 tournament and won. When they asked him for his details they discovered he shouldn't have been in there lol. And he was having such a great time:p

Archived