Need some advice to make sense of this reservation

greatam

Booked on Silhoutte TA solo from Rome in December. When I booked the cruise with a well known internet agency, per their website, I got a $74.00 deduction off the double occupancy price. I went completely through the booking process for two people and for one before I put down my deposit. In fact, I even called to MAKE SURE I could add another person if I wanted to.

Now, a friend wants to go. They want to add $354.82 to add the other person. To me, that makes NO sense. I was already paying for two. Taxes and port are $121.31. So by my calculations, I should be paying an additional $74.00 (the solo discount-very generous on a $3000 cruise don't you think) PLUS the additional port. That comes out to less than $200 additional and most of it is taxes and port. Why the extra $150? NO ONE can explain it-just keep saying that is what the cruise line wants.

I'm baffled. Can someone explain???

Thanks

Just curious. Have you gone into the Celebrity website and done a "faux" booking to see what the price would be for 2 ppl? Prices and perks change from day to day. I don't know if that's it or not but it would be interesting to see.

Obviously you'd be having to pay the taxes and port charges for your 2nd person and I have to say the TA's and the cruise line itself seem to have completely different ways of charging them. The TA's invoice vs the cruise line invoice is often very different on their port charges, fees and taxes. Good luck.

I just changed from solo to adding a passenger for 2014 TA. Booked directly through Celebrity, as last cruise we had the same kind of problem, with "unknown" charges being added which the TA couldn't really explain.

WIth adding another passenger through Celebrity, we were changed only the taxes and port charges for the other person, as I was paying the rest of the charges myself.

Hopefully you can get a copy of your new charges to compare to the old so that you can determine what the additional charges are for. In adding my second passenger, the rate stayed the same as what I had booked at early rates & the new charges were just as I thought they would be. Although port charges can change, ours had not in three months time.

Good luck in finding an answer, somethimes through smoke screens agencies present.

I just changed from solo to adding a passenger for 2014 TA. Booked directly through Celebrity, as last cruise we had the same kind of problem, with "unknown" charges being added which the TA couldn't really explain.

WIth adding another passenger through Celebrity, we were changed only the taxes and port charges for the other person, as I was paying the rest of the charges myself.

Hopefully you can get a copy of your new charges to compare to the old so that you can determine what the additional charges are for. In adding my second passenger, the rate stayed the same as what I had booked at early rates & the new charges were just as I thought they would be. Although port charges can change, ours had not in three months time.

Good luck in finding an answer, somethimes through smoke screens agencies present.

Thank you very much. I have not been able to get a copy of the new proposed charges to see what they are actually charging for and that is another of the frustrations.

I canceled with the internet agency. I rebooked direct with Celebrity. Not only is adding the second person as you posted, I actually got an almost $300 price drop. Old price was $2968.47. New price is $2674.92. I didn't get the same cabin (high floor, SV aft) but I was able to get an SV aft a few floors down. For the price the internet company was charging me, I could have gone Concierge but those cabins are all on the side of the ship. I really don't like to sail unless I have an aft cabin. Thanks again for the help.

Booked on Silhoutte TA solo from Rome in December. When I booked the cruise with a well known internet agency, per their website, I got a $74.00 deduction off the double occupancy price. I went completely through the booking process for two people and for one before I put down my deposit. In fact, I even called to MAKE SURE I could add another person if I wanted to.

Now, a friend wants to go. They want to add $354.82 to add the other person. To me, that makes NO sense. I was already paying for two. Taxes and port are $121.31. So by my calculations, I should be paying an additional $74.00 (the solo discount-very generous on a $3000 cruise don't you think) PLUS the additional port. That comes out to less than $200 additional and most of it is taxes and port. Why the extra $150? NO ONE can explain it-just keep saying that is what the cruise line wants.

Thanks

I have seen offers on TAs with prepaid gratuities, OBCs, etc. I April they were giving free beverage package. Maybe you should look to rebook?

Thanks

Many of the well known internet agencies impose a charge for modifying anything on your reservation.... maybe that was some of the extra charges??

Glad it worked out for you!

Archived