Are rubber bottom shoes needed on beaches?

Big family cruise

We have experiened other Caribbean islands where kids need rubber bottom shoes (or "pool shoes") at the beaches because the sand is rocky at the beach or in the water. Are rubber bottom shoes needed on Bermuda beaches so that our feet won't hurt? Right now we are planning on going to Snorkel Park and Horseshoe Bay.

Thanks!!

I've heard on this board that you need them for Snorkel Park. You definately do not need them for Horseshoe Bay (unless the kids decide to start playing on the rocks at the ends of the beach). The sand at the south shore beaches is as soft as flour.

We have experiened other Caribbean islands where kids need rubber bottom shoes (or "pool shoes") at the beaches because the sand is rocky at the beach or in the water. Are rubber bottom shoes needed on Bermuda beaches so that our feet won't hurt? Right now we are planning on going to Snorkel Park and Horseshoe Bay.

Thanks!!

I cut my foot on coral the first time I went swimming in Bermuda. I have used water shoes every time since and have never been cut again.

Definetly for Snorkel Park. Although you want to try not to step on the corral anyway because it will kill it. This was very convenient if you are docked at Kings wharf. Renting snorkel equipment there is $20 though so you may want to buy some for $10 at home and bring it ...that is what we did. I did rent the swim vests for $5.00 each but that made snorkeling a breeze and was worth it to just relax. There is no charge for Snorkel Park.

• 2 weeks later...

If not water shoes, then cheapie sandals that strap on. We saw glass in the water at Achillles, near the rocks as you go in. The rocks there are as sharp as lava (I mean the rocks around the fort)...you wouldn't want to climb on them barefoot! We were fine at other beaches, but we almost always kept sandals on when walking around the beaches and rocks. One girl on our cruise cut her foot on a rock and needed four stitches! So, wear something until you can check out the beach!

Archived