I 78 from PA to Newark NJ?

MHF

Hi, what can you all tell me about the "other route" that g@@gle maps has suggested for me: I83 in MD/PA to I81 in PA to I78 through PA to Newark, NJ? We have a flight from Newark airport the Friday before Labor Day and I'm thinking this might be better than the crawl up I95 and the NJ turnpike even tho' it's listed as 1/2 hour longer.

I'm familiar with 81 and 83 in PA but not 78. Is there construction? Massive delays? I know we'll need gas once.

Also never caught flight at Newark, it says arrive 3 hours before. Should I really allow 4 for an international flight? We are due to depart at 5:30 p.m. on United to Stockholm.

Thanks, Melissa in Maryland

Hi, what can you all tell me about the "other route" that g@@gle maps has suggested for me: I83 in MD/PA to I81 in PA to I78 through PA to Newark, NJ? We have a flight from Newark airport the Friday before Labor Day and I'm thinking this might be better than the crawl up I95 and the NJ turnpike even tho' it's listed as 1/2 hour longer.

I'm familiar with 81 and 83 in PA but not 78. Is there construction? Massive delays? I know we'll need gas once.

Also never caught flight at Newark, it says arrive 3 hours before. Should I really allow 4 for an international flight? We are due to depart at 5:30 p.m. on United to Stockholm.

Thanks, Melissa in Maryland

I drove I78 to Gettysburg a few months ago....through Harrisburg. It was an ok ride with minimal construction

This is a much better route than going via I95 at any time but especially on a holiday weekend. As of now there is only nighttime construction on parts of 78 and my guess is that will be suspended on a holiday weekend. Rte 78 is a very easy drive. The 78, 81, 83 route is how we always drive when coming to Maryland.

Actually there may be some day time construction on 78 west of Allentown but I think if it is still ongoing they will stop for the holiday. It is east of Allentown that is night time construction .

Archived