Solo Bachelor’s Bermuda Journey on the Norwegian Breakaway

Terpsince74

Vicki glad to see your branching out, hope all is well. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. Fantastic job!!

Hey there you! Yes...we're trying something new :) We still like being able to drive to the port - and no one wants to fly, so we thought we'd take advantage of something shiny and new. Not going until next summer, which seems a million days away.

Sunday July 14th- Sail-in- New York City

It was unclear what time we would be getting into NYC. I had seen that some trips got people to the Verrazano Bridge at 5am and others at 3am. Well we get there around 4am. I wish it was a bit later as I was hoping to get a few hours of decent sleep. As it is, I did not sleep well at all. I ended up waking around 3:30 am decided to just head up to the top deck and enjoy the sail in.

When I got up to the top decks I was a bit disappointed to see that they had hosed everything off so it was soaking wet. I guess the crews do this every night to keep things clean. I was thinking about chilling in one of those cabanas on the front facing part of the ship. I was also a bit irritated to find masses of drunk youngsters roaming about partying it up for the last wee hours of their trip. Now I was once there myself I kept telling myself. Most of them were pretty cool but there were a few dbags. I decided to head towards the middle of the ship and leave the front of the ship where they were all congregating.

Finally we got the Verrazano Bridge. It was peaceful and beautiful cruising in at early morning.

DSC01019-Copy_zps9370b39b.jpg

Once we passed the bridge I noticed that we had police boats trailing us on both sides of the ship. Soon after I also spotted a helicopter hovering just off to the port side of the ship. I am guessing this is standard protocol when returning to NY but was a bit thrown off by it. The most shocking scene was I later spotted a few policemen on the boat carrying M16s that where dressed in tactical suits. Not sure if this was some sort of drill or what but it was pretty shocking.

DSC01025-Copy_zps6e226a7b.jpg

DSC01040-Copy_zps556de8f7.jpg

Soon enough we passed the Statue of Liberty and heading into the port. The sun was just starting to rise as we were docking.

DSC01032-Copy_zpscf6383e6.jpg

Breakfast- Savor

I was one of the first to enter Savor for breakfast around 7am. I was seated right away. I ordered something light as my stomach was again not 100%. By the time breakfast was served (about 7:30), there was an announcement that those who were carrying their own suitcases off of the ship were free to do so. After breakfast I headed back up to my room to finish off packing and enjoy some final sips of coffee on my balcony for one last time.

DSC01069-Copy_zps5fda4de5.jpg

iPhonePicandVidimport7-15-20131154_zps7e5cefcb.jpg

Disembarkation

At 8am I was heading down to walk off the ship. Disembarkation was super smooth. I literally got on the first elevator and headed down to leave the ship. I figured that a lot of people would be crowding up the elevators by 8am but was surprised to see only limited traffic. Once off the ship, we walked down through a large warehouse where there were thousands of bags. I could not believe how many bags were down there. It was one hell of a spectacle. I wanted to take a pic but they were not allowing pictures down there for some reason. Since I had all of my luggage we were able to just keep walking right outside to the taxi stand. I was at the train station by 8:30 am and caught a train that left for DC at 9am. I was amazed how smooth and easy it was to disembark. I had heard horror stories about both embarkation and disembarkation. My suggestion is do both early and it makes the process very quick and simple. I will do this again for all of my future cruises.

Great review!!

My GF and I rented scooters when we were in Bermuda overnight on a RCI re position cruise. For some reason the only scooter company I could find was in Hamilton. Great way to see everything. Wiped out once, got a nasty road rash but it was my own fault :)

Only bad time was second day when it was pouring rain and we had to return the scooters from port to Hamilton. Got soaked but laughed anyway

Would recommend everyone rent scooters if you plan on seeing Bermuda

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...