Best way to cave tube?

Sunshinebear717

Thanks. She's very brave and will try just about anything. She was 3 at the time of that 1st review with the tarantula. (Yes, that's what she calls it too. She doesn't say it's a spider, she knows her animals by name lol). She ask to hold it and when it started crawling up her arm, we told her she was not allowed to move...and she didn't. It crawled all the way up to her shoulder and the guide took it off of her and put him back in his "home in the ground". She talks about it all the time. She also volunteered to eat the termites (she did this both times we were there). All I hoped was that when we returned home that she 1) didn't want to try to hold any spiders around the house and 2) she didn't go around eating "bugs". :D I guess 1/2 out of the 2 isn't too bad (She don't hold spiders, but will pick up any bug she can-she goes "hunting" for them under rocks and stones-and she don't eat them). :p

LOL She sounds like a great kid! Glad she isnt into holding the other spiders! and the other bugs prolly wouldn't taste so well. But i bet when shes older she would be a great contestant on Fear factor!

You guys are so good. Thanks to everyone.

I'm thinking more and more of just wearing old tennis shoes I can throw out, rather than buying hard-soled water shoes, judging by the terrain in Mitsugirly's photos.

I was hoping we wouldn't be expected to walk any great distances in wet/dirty clothes.

Thanks again.

The walk after you get out of the water is short, so wet and dirty is a very short time, maybe 5 min. Old tennis shoes or water shoes are fine, you can even "rent" shoes if you want to. It looks really bad in her pics but its a pretty easy hike. I have used cavetubing.bz 3 times and LOVE them. They will carry your tube if you can't and they point out things nobody else seems to know about. Go to the top entrance for the most time in the water.

Mitsugirl I think we were on your trip last year, were you there in Jan on NCL? Our group included a little girl who looked similar to yours, we were from a carnival ship.

But i bet when shes older she would be a great contestant on Fear factor!

Hey, I never thought of that, but I bet you're right!! :D

Mitsugirl I think we were on your trip last year, were you there in Jan on NCL? Our group included a little girl who looked similar to yours, we were from a carnival ship.

Nope. We were with .bz in Sept 2011 and May 2013. :) The time in between that, we went to Bannister Island.

We used Charlie Chan and his crew on our trip the first week in October. They were really good and the big difference was that they carry the tubes for you. It makes a big difference on the long hot walk and they also took their time. several other groups passed us on the way to the river. I can't recommend them enough!

We're going with them next week. Are water shoes okay for the walk to the tubing site? Carnival's excursion review said they walked over river rocks on the way.

Speaking of spiders, it is advisable to have bug spray (Deet or something) to ward off any flying/biting/stinging creatures, especially during the walk to the water?

You can eat the termites? Do they taste like chocolate? ; o )

Speaking of spiders, it is advisable to have bug spray (Deet or something) to ward off any flying/biting/stinging creatures, especially during the walk to the water?

You can eat the termites? Do they taste like chocolate? ; o )

It's always a good thing to bring Off Deep Woods or something when you are visiting ANY port...just in case. Some people have been bitten at various ports while others have not. We have never been bitten while walking in the rain forest to the tubing but have been bitten at Costa Maya before. :eek: But everyone is different and it will vary by the season, rain fall and so on.

Yes, you can eat the termites. They break into the termite "house" (nest) and they actually taste like mint. :D

P5130243-M.jpg

P5130244-M.jpg

My second favorite flavor in a termite.

It can't be beat. Refreshing flavor, breath smells good, hydrates you, and it loaded with protein (they said you could live off of them for about a week if you were ever lost in the jungle ;)). The only draw back is having to pick the left overs out of your teeth. :D

Archived