Gluten free diet, Terrace request

Graypanther

I found out at the end of my third Oceania cruise that Oceania allows dietary restriction requests and that I could request a gluten free menu. Two days in advance, you are provided a copy of the planned dinner (and lunch?) menu from the GDR (or specialty restaurant) and asked to make your menu selections. This has worked out well for me and I appreciate the efforts of the restaurant staff to make this work. However, it is not always convenient to eat lunch and dinner in the GDR and often we eat in the Terrace. I really would appreciate it if the buffet items would have a gluten free indicator on them. As I found out in the GDR, what appears to be gluten free is not always gluten free because of something they add during cooking or preparation. I have mentioned this on my end-of-cruise comment form and will now start mentioning it on my mid-cruise comment as well and discussing it with the restaurant manager.

You choose from the regular menu. If gluten is used in the preparation they can sometimes omit it and will provide that item to you. If not, they will tell you it is unavailable when you sit down. You tell the waiter for your table your room number and that you have a special diet and he/she knows to go look it up. You have to turn the menu in the morning the day before you eat. The menu you select from is delivered to your room the prior evening, i.e. two days before. The first evening, you will have to ask the waiter to ask the kitchen which items are gluten free. As I asked, it would be a lot easier if the Terrace items were marked. If enough of us ask, maybe it will get done. Ask your TA to place the dietary restriction note on your cruise reservation/booking for the appropriate travelers.

in the Terrace. I really would appreciate it if the buffet items would have a gluten free indicator on them. As I found out in the GDR, what appears to be gluten free is not always gluten free because of something they add during cooking or preparation.

I am gluten-free and sailed on Riviera last fall (and looking forward to sailing again this fall, yay!).

In my experience, 2 ways to slice & dice gluten-free dining at Terraces (as long as you are in the O system as gluten free):

1-simply show up and ask a staff person, they will summon the (er, not sure title - but apparently a front of house culinary person) who will walk you around and explain what works & what doesn't. Often the carving station meat is not gluten free because of the sauce, if so and if you are interested they can usually get a 'clean' (unsauced) roast from back of house and serve you from that.

2-ymmv, but in Sep 2012 for non-specialty restaurant nights I was able to select from the GDR menu in the morning and then at dinner show up in Terraces and request delivery of said items while the spouse cruised the buffet. Would also have worked to show up in GDR - basically, if you select GDR items for dinner you could show up at either GDR or Terraces and enjoy them. The dining reservation desk person can confirm/assist with such details (that's how I found out I could do this).

Happy sailing :)

2-ymmv, but in Sep 2012 for non-specialty restaurant nights I was able to select from the GDR menu in the morning and then at dinner show up in Terraces and request delivery of said items while the spouse cruised the buffet. Would also have worked to show up in GDR - basically, if you select GDR items for dinner you could show up at either GDR or Terraces and enjoy them. The dining reservation desk person can confirm/assist with such details (that's how I found out I could do this).

Happy sailing :)

Thanks! I tried to bring an item from Terraces to the GDR and a head waiter offered to carry it down but the restaurant manager said no! No one suggested I could do it in reverse.

Thanks! I tried to bring an item from Terraces to the GDR and a head waiter offered to carry it down but the restaurant manager said no! No one suggested I could do it in reverse.

Yay, happy to share some potential dining options. (and don't forget about room service)

I can understand O being not thrilled about food 'wandering' from one venue to another after being served - health/CDC protocols and crowd control among the issues! Was definitely worth a try once on your part :)

I definitely suggest double checking with the dining reservations desk onboard - they can clarify current procedure :) and may even have additional creative ideas. I would sometimes add notes to my menu "we may end up at Terraces tonight" sort of thing. At any rate, I felt well very taken care of and didn't get cross-contaminated once (which for me is highly unusual for that many 'restaurant' meals!).

I submitted my daughter's dietary needs to Oceania cruises in advance of our July 5, 2013 cruise on the Marina. I was very impressed that my daughter received menus in advance for the Grand Dining Room and the specialty restaurants where we had reservations in the cabin the day before we dined. The Maitre D in the restaurants were aware of her special needs. The wait staff also tried to accommodate her when we had tea one afternoon.

Bonnie

Archived