Viking Tulips & Windmills--We Want to See Tulips!

moondoggie

We've been on lots of ocean cruises (Celeb and HAL) but are interested in this river cruise because my DH is a gardener and loves tulips! Looking at the itinerary it doesn't look like it is focused on seeing tulips--can anyone suggest the best time of year and/or a different river cruise line we should consider? Thanks!

You have to go in the Spring to see the tulips.

In 2006 I went on the Viking Tulips & Windmills cruise at the end of March and they were beautiful. This past March I went with Viking again with another friend but it was colder this year so there were some blooming but not as many as before.

So depending on the weather you can see them in March or April.

No worries: you'll see tulips even if snow is everywhere. Anytime in March/April/May is Ok. At the last day there is an included visit to Keukenhof Gardens which have tons of different flowers especially tulips.

In general the best time to see many tulips and for a visit to Keukenhof is the last week of April and/or the 1st week of May.

However this year spring was very cold and tulips bloomed about 2 weeks later then usual. In case spring is warmer then normal in Keukenhof they will replant.

In general the best time to see many tulips and for a visit to Keukenhof is the last week of April and/or the 1st week of May.

However this year spring was very cold and tulips bloomed about 2 weeks later then usual. In case spring is warmer then normal in Keukenhof they will replant.

We went last week in April in 2010 and the tulips were breath-taking! Leaving from Amsterdam we could see the tulip fields from the plane....field and field of purple, pink, red, every color. Amazing. Keukenhof is different every year but the flower displays (mostly tulips) will blow you away. I love tulips and the first 10 minutes I thought my eyes would explode...you just don't know where to look first. Whatever company you sail with (I prefer Vantage) if they offer an excursion to Aalsmeer flower auction take it! It's usually a morning tour and I've never seen anything like it. For lovers of spring flowers it's like we died and went to heaven!

Archived