Touring Island via Moped/Scooter

River Hill

I will be leaving to Bermuda on Voyager of the Seas and will be ported at the Dockyards for 2 days. Instead of spending the money for taxis and bus service I was thinking about renting a 2 seat scooter for my wife and I for both days. Do you think this is a practical way to see the island and tour many beaches? We are not into shopping that much, but would like to see as much as possible. What are your thoughts?

Also if you were going to do a tour of the island what would you consider the must things to see and do? We would like to snorkle as well for a couple of hours. Can you take scooters on the ferry and if so does anyone know the cost of the ferry round trip? Maybe I would not even need to get on the ferry

Hi, River Hill. Here are links to the Ferry and bus systems

Ferry - http://www.seaexpress.bm

Bus - http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

If you should purchase a bus pass (1-day $12 / 3-day $28 CASH ONLY) they are good on the Ferry system. You can take scooters on board, but some sailings are for passengers only (check the route schedule on the above ferry link). As for scooters, you're on your own. Streets are narrow, they do have a rush hour, you're on the left side of the road and the Circles (roundabouts) can be killers. Info for the rental of scooters can be found at the "Getting Around" link - http://www.bermudatourism.com/default.asp?page=get_here_around.html. Check my "To ride or not to ride" section on my website - http://members.cox.net/rridgely/sightseeing.htm#To%20Ride. Otherwise, have fun. One day I'll get a mini review up from our trip June 4. ENJOY!

Scooters have the advantage in that they are definately provide more flexibility in getting around the island. You can visit places when you want and don't have to worry about sticking to a bus schedule. I recall that you are experienced at riding motorcycles so you shouldn't have too much problem on Bermuda's roads (drive on the left!). I think a two day scooter rental will be more expensive then two bus passes but like I said scooters are more flexible. It is definately the best way to see lots of beaches since you can take a look at one for a few minutes then move on if you want.

If you go to traveller99's website he has a map of Bermuda which shows you where beaches are and so forth. Bermuda is not a huge island but it would take you about an hour to get from one end to the other.

Some Highlights:

South Shore beaches (Horseshoe etc.)

St. Georges and nearby beaches

Even though you don't like shopping try to wander around Hamilton for a bit. If it's during a weekday between 8:30-5:00 it might take a while to find parking for your scooter - it's a busy city.

Gibb's Hill Lighthouse

Swizzle Inn

You might want to stop by some of the nice resorts and wander around (Southampton Princess, Reefs, Elbow Beach, Wyndham etc.). None of them mind non-guests coming in as most of them have stores and restaurants they'd love for you to spend some money in. :D

VOS will recommend on several occasions that the passengers do not rent the scooters because of accidents but there were a lot of people who rented them for both days. After driving around the island on the bus I think it was dangerous even for pedestrians on the narrow streets and was glad we had listened to the cruise ships advice not to rent scooters. We did take a bike tour with guides and saw some of the local area that way.

I recently got back from Bermuda and rented a scooter for one of the days we were there. Riding around the island on one isn't nearly as hard or as scary as people make it out to be. Rent one and have fun!

I will be renting a scooter for sure. I don't mind taking taxi's but I hate taking the bus. I did not even like taking the bus around Disney in Florida,and they have a very good system. I guess I will take my chances considering the cost of the taxi's. If I find it very terrifying I can just turn it in early.

Since I plan on doing a 2 day rental does anyone know if the shop will keep it overnight for you or are there places to lock the scooter up at night?

River--I've been to Bermuda with my wife 8 times, and we always rent a two seater scooter---Only way to go. There will be a place to park your scooter right near the ship, and they have locks on them. Take the helmets in with you, or lock them under your seat. The scooters are all automatic and very easy to handle. Just be careful with them and remember they are not a toy--Just take your time and enjoy them. We're going back in Sept.on the Zenith for our 9th time and have already reserved our scooter with Wheels. Have fun and enjoy :) Ron

If you have some experience, scooters are the only way to go - taxis are very expensive and busses take forever-- you should only go the scooter route if you have had some motorcycle or comparable experience - driving on the left, combined with inexperience, makes a dangerous cocktail -- speaking of which: do not try doing it if your plans call for a stop at the Swizzle Inn or comparable establishment.

If you do, try Oleander Cycles - the largest outfit - with a number of sites around Bermuda and free pick-up service if you have engine trouble or hit heavy rain -- the roads are very dangerous in a downpour. Horshoe Bay is probably best beach.

Pink---An accident can happen anytime and anywhere. Just walking off the ship or down the street. Enjoy yourself, but be smart and careful of what you do. All kinds of auto accidents--but do you still drive or ride in a car ?? Ron

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap PinkSandy and I hope the injuries weren't too serious.

I'll reiterate that for renting scooters I'm of the opinion that experience counts. If you're experienced at riding scooters/mototcycles then you should be okay but if you're inexperienced then Bermuda is not the place to start learning how to drive scooters. I wish the rental places would be more strict on things like that but I think they're more interested in $$$ then whether or not the person renting the scooter can handle it. I've spoken with a 70-year-old woman who got injured in a scooter accident and she told me she didn't know what was going through her head thinking she could just drive around on a scooter with no previous experience. I wondered what the rental company was thinking letting her rent one!

Just remember that thousands of people ride around Bermuda on scooters every day without problems, for many locals it is their only source of transportation, so it's not a very risky thing to do if you're experienced with them.

we were in bermuda in june were thinking about doing scooters. Went for a taxi ride and that changed my mind on the scooter. The driver of the taxi was so close to the rear of the scooter in front of us. It was a two seater rental. Then he passed them. Rode a bus back from horseshoe he did the same thing. If I went back to bermuda I might rent one. I would be careful if you do. People in PA don't tailgate like that. the guy and women on the rental were glad he passed I bet. Narrow roads and walls on each side. Blind curves.

When I was in the military I went to Bermuda several times and rented a moped (not a scooter) at least once. There are several problems with scooters in Bermuda...1) As previously mentioned the traffic is plentiful, hectic and sometimes up close and personal. 2) The left hand side of the road can be a real problem for Americans...going down a straight stretch of road isn't a problem but when you make a turn you tend to automatically go into the right lane ..and roundabouts....wow, what an experience!!! 3) The roads in Bermuda are made of coral rock. When this stuff gets wet it's as slippery as whale snot!! Even friends of mine that were experiened motorcyclists had a few problems. My reccomendation would be to forgo the scooter rentals..(JMHO)

Archived